Non-motoring > Cycling Corner - Volume 21   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 98

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 22 *****

More pedal power chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 21:28

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - henry k
www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/jul/25/can-cyclists-be-fined-for-speeding.

tinyurl.com/onyhgcp - (www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/news)

The cost is new but we used to have "speeding problems" in the park 60 years ago but no radar guns then.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 13 Mar 15 at 10:21

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Bromptonaut
On the ordinary highway speed limits dont apply to pedal cycles, something to do with them being carriages rather than vehicles. And until 20 limits came in opportunity to bust limit was rare indeed. Richmond Park has byelaw so different scenario. Its pretty well known amongst any riders that use park regularly.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 13 Mar 15 at 10:20

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - No FM2R
If you're just cycling along on a normal day on a decent road, what sort of speed does a cyclist do? Ignoring traffic type limitations.

And what sort of speed can you do if you're late and going for it?

Depends on bike type, terrain etcc

On the tourer and riding alone in slightly rolling west northants probably 12 - 14mph. Slower if wind affects, againsterly is usual!, then maybe less that 10. Bit slower on brompton or MTB. In a group working together, taking turns at front, you can do better. Years ago we managed 18 miles in an hour across none too flat Somerset

Fast boys like Robin o reliant will regard those speeds as laughable

Fastest I've managed is 35 down a hill. Limiting factor was nerve!

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Runfer D'Hills
On a loose descent, the limiting factor is traction !

;-)

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - No FM2R
Aside from Runfer's desire to achieve maximum embarrassment in front of his son, 12 - 14mph seems quite respectable.

Anyway, thanks, just wondered.

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Fast boys like Robin o reliant will regard those speeds as laughable
>>
>> Fastest I've managed is 35 down a hill. Limiting factor was nerve!
>>

Years ago I might have done Brompt, but even sitting on a heap of carbon fibre these days those speeds would be an achievement.

Highest I've ever recorded was 55mph on a descent and there used to be a downhill speed camera in Harold Wood, just outside Romford where the whole club run would see how many multiple flashes we could get out of it as we passed.

The record for a 25 mile time trial on public roads currently stands at 45' 46" which is an average speed of around 32mph.

Multiple flashes? I've always thought the Lycra brigade were a bit kinky!!

;-)

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Duncan
>> The record for a 25 mile time trial on public roads currently stands at 45'
>> 46" which is an average speed of around 32mph.

Pedant Corner.

45' 43"

tinyurl.com/pjpo5qq

Do you think you are slowing down a bit as you get older?

tinyurl.com/lkxogs9

I know him and there are lots of young men who just can't keep up with him!
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 13 Mar 15 at 19:13

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - crocks
>> Do you think you are slowing down a bit as you get older?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/lkxogs9
>>
>> I know him and there are lots of young men who just can't keep up with him!

Last year at the age of 88, Ray Dare cycled a 25 mile time trial in 1 hour 12 minutes. He was four minutes slower than the year before and decided to retire.

I am 60 and can't keep up 20mph for more than a few hundred yards, let alone for 25 miles.

I have never raced but over the last couple of years have ridden with Ray on leisure rides many times. He is a lovely guy and an inspiration to all around him.

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Duncan
>> Last year at the age of 88, Ray Dare cycled a 25 mile time trial
>> in 1 hour 12 minutes. He was four minutes slower than the year before and
>> decided to retire.
>>
>> I am 60 and can't keep up 20mph for more than a few hundred yards,
>> let alone for 25 miles.
>>
>> I have never raced but over the last couple of years have ridden with Ray
>> on leisure rides many times. He is a lovely guy and an inspiration to all
>> around him.

Who do you ride with?

KP or SWL, or another?

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - crocks
>> Who do you ride with?

I ride with the South West London CTC.
I saw Ray at Elevenses on Wednesday but he didn't come out with us.
( But I did see a Spitfire around Biggin Hill )

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Harleyman
Had occasion last week to follow a lady cyclist an a B road through the Vale of Glamorgan, between wick and Llantwit Major.

Lorry being limited to 40 mph on such roads, it was impossible to find a safe place to overtake her, and she was keeping up a steady 28 mph; the only clear stretch was through Wick village which is 30 mph restricted so that wasn't an option either.

Not a problem; she was riding what was evidently a good quality racing-type bike, and was clad in the obligatory black Lycra. She was evidently extremely "fit" in both the accepted senses of the word, so I just settled back to a safe distance and tried to keep my concentration focused on the road ahead and my six fixed mirrors.

It wasn't easy. ;-)

Been over to Buxton this afternoon via the A53. Still climbing on the Staffs side of the border we caught up with two folks on road bikes and had to wait behind until end of solid white line and opportunity to pass.

Uphill and with a stiff NE breeze on their front quarter they were managing around 18mph - chapeau.

It was also bloomin freezing - while temp here just outside Leek was 8 degrees up there it was just 3 - enough for the frost warning on car to flash.

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - NortonES2
Past the site of my Norton photo: www.flickr.com/photos/malahide/16789256106/
About 1971...

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - BobbyG
>>Had occasion last week to follow a lady cyclist an a B road through the Vale of Glamorgan, between wick and Llantwit Major.

Was behind a femal cycle commuter on Friday in Glasgow - without sounding like BBD she was on drop handlebars, with a flared skirt on which was blowing all over the place showing everything to the passing vehicles.

Also had a pair of shoes on that you would expect to see as office attire, but not cycling!

I've had that dream too Bobby.

;-))

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - BiggerBadderDave
I've said it many times - a camera on the dashboard is crucial.

Or strap it to your helmet...
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Sun 15 Mar 15 at 16:18
BBD, I actually have a dashcam and I never even thought of uploading it for you!!
Now with this weekends journey down south it will have been wiped!

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Harleyman

>> Or strap it to your helmet...
>>

Careful you don't strap it too tight, could be painful if you pass a lady cyclist. ;-)

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Zero
Followed a cyclist yesterday, he had a kind of dartboard pattern on his cycling shorts with the bulls eye "you know where"

The missus wanted a hatpin as we passed

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - swiss tony
>> and was clad in the obligatory black Lycra. She was evidently extremely "fit" in both the
>> accepted senses of the word,

There should be a law banning lycra being worn any anyone OTHER than 'fit' young ladies.
To see a plump gentleman in it cannot be unseen..

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Boxsterboy
From Monday Lidl are selling some cycle stuff:
Jackets £19.99 (male and female)
Front/rear LED battery powered light set £19.99
Maintenance stand £24.95
Helmet with built-in rear light £9.99. I've got one of these and it's fantastic vfm!

Assuming they're similar to the Aldi one I got a couple of years ago the workstands are well worth the money too.

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Boxsterboy
>> From Monday Lidl are selling some cycle stuff:
>> Jackets £19.99 (male and female)
>> Front/rear LED battery powered light set £19.99
>> Maintenance stand £24.95
>> Helmet with built-in rear light £9.99. I've got one of these and it's fantastic vfm!
>>

Sorry, made a mistake. The jackets are £11.99.

Just bought a jacket, gloves, socks and a pump.
Only went in for 2 cheese topped rolls.....

Cycling Corner - Volume 21 - Old Navy
>> Just bought a jacket, gloves, socks and a pump.
>> Only went in for 2 cheese topped rolls.....
>>

Is your sunroof stuck open? :)

Real mountain biking? - John Boy
www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/mountain-bike-white-line-sedona-michal-kollbek-video_n_6865284.html

Real mountain biking? - Runfer D'Hills
Beats going to the garden centre !

;-)

Italian bike - No FM2R
Now that is a cool looking bike..... (its a couple of years old, but I hadn't seen it before).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIVeemZ0_e4

design.fanpage.it/sadabike-la-prima-bici-senza-raggi-che-entra-in-uno-zaino-e-made-in-italy/

Italian bike - Boxsterboy
Typical Italians - all show and no go!
 Italian bike - Robin O'Reliant
The drive roller and the wheel rim won't last five minutes, sitting just a couple of inches above the road and picking up all the resultant crap.

Italian bike - Focusless
Looks a bit low geared too. Smart though.

Cycle-lock recommendations? - Haywain
My daughter was distressed last night because someone had attempted to steal her electric-bike; it was locked to the bike-rack using two separate cable locks while she was working the 1pm-9pm shift at our local supermarket.

At around 7.30, the store's security chap reported to my daughter that the 2 locks normally in-place, were missing; it looked as though the thief had been disturbed in the act. The bike was duly found a place inside the store for the rest of her shift.

We went back to the area this morning and found the remains of the 2 locks/cables in the vegetation near the bike racks. The police now have these, and may be able to check for finger-prints. The bike-locks had been cut with bolt-croppers, so it looks a little more professional than just a passing opportunist.

So - we have to consider what type of lock we should be using in future. In the end, we have to compromise to some extent on price, weight and strength. Anyone got any recommendations? Cheers H

Cycle-lock recommendations? - Bromptonaut
If you're up against real professionals even the best locks money can buy may only delay rather than prevent. I wouldn't leave a Brompton on the street with any lock for exactly that reason.

If the place in the store is permanently available can she 'bag' it? Stairwell voids at ground floor level are good for this.

A heavy duty chain and a lock on which it would be difficult/impossible to bring bolt cutters to bear is probably as good as you'll get.

What's your best estimate on a limit for weight?

I'm not sure that the place 'in store' could be made available in the long term as I suspect that everyone will want to use it. I understand now that an extra security camera has been put into place - but that would be only one more deterrent and not a cure.

It looks as though the 'cable' type locks - which are very common - are absolutely no use at all against bolt-croppers. I wonder what those 'Kryptonite' D locks are like.

As far as weight goes, I think we'd rather stay within the bounds of what is normally accepted as a 'cycle' lock, before we move on to a 'motorbike' lock. Hence my thoughts about a D-lock - which would be used in conjunction with a second, probably decent cable type.

Cycle-lock recommendations? - Runfer D'Hills
D-locks are pretty heavy but the good ones have a frame mount which makes them easier to live with.

Sad though isn't it that folk just can't leave other people's property alone.

I don't like humans much. Well, some of them are alright I suppose.

D locks are good provided there is something immoveable within D-lock radius of the bike's frame. They don't though easily cover those bases and removable stuff like wheels etc. A decent cable lock may be sufficient to supplement a suitably sized D - depends on location.

We have a 30yo Viro lock similar to this: tinyurl.com/nkk3tov

Bloomin heavy but might be only thing I'd trust on a Brompton if I'd no option but to leave it on street.

Cycle-lock recommendations? - bathtub tom
No need to carry a heavy lock around on a bike, leave it locked to whatever you lock it to when you leave it.
I presume there's secure accommodation for it when it's at home?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Mar 15 at 01:22

>> No need to carry a heavy lock around on a bike, leave it locked to
>> whatever you lock it to when you leave it.
>> I presume there's secure accommodation for it when it's at home?

Not sure I follow that. My older Brompton (1998 L5) would probably command £450 on ebay and a significant proportion of that on Brick Lane Market.

What sort of a lock would you recommend for a wallet containing £400+left on the street?

Cycle-lock recommendations? - No FM2R
Firstly, b***** hell. £450 for a 17yr old bike.

Second, but what would I sell it for as a cycling know-nothing? Probably £50.

Anyway, thieves rarely try to steal a particular thing. That look and wander until they find a thing that they can steal.

All you can really do is increase the odds of them not trying for yours. If they do try, they will probably get it.

Cycle-lock recommendations? - Boxsterboy
>> Firstly, b***** hell. £450 for a 17yr old bike.
>>

Exactly my thoughts when I tried to buy a second-hand Brompton! Which was why I ended up buying a new one.

Cycle-lock recommendations? - bathtub tom
>> >> No need to carry a heavy lock around on a bike, leave it locked
>> to
>> >> whatever you lock it to when you leave it.
>> >> I presume there's secure accommodation for it when it's at home?
>>
>> Not sure I follow that. My older Brompton (1998 L5) would probably command £450 on
>> ebay and a significant proportion of that on Brick Lane Market.
>>
>> What sort of a lock would you recommend for a wallet containing £400+left on the
>> street?

Haywain expressed concern about the practicalities of carrying a heavy, secure, possibly motorcycle type lock around on a pushbike. I was merely suggesting an alternative solution.

Cycle-lock recommendations? - VxFan
>> Haywain expressed concern about the practicalities of carrying a heavy, secure, possibly motorcycle type lock
>> around on a pushbike. I was merely suggesting an alternative solution.

That's the way I read it too. Instead of taking the lock with you, leave it attached to the fixture where you usually park the bike. ok, not a very practical solution if you leave the bike in a lot of locations, but if the bike's main use is just to commute to work and back then leave the lock at work if you've got a secure location for the bike at home.

Cycle-lock recommendations? - Old Navy
Aldi recently had a motorcycle equipment special sale, there was a heavy duty nylon fabric covered chain and lock amongst the items. They may have some left in store.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 30 Mar 15 at 23:15

"My daughter was distressed last night because someone had attempted to steal her electric-bike;"

Bit of an update on this one .....

Firstly, thanks for the replies re a new bike-lock (or two) - I think we'll be opting, initially, for an extended D-type.

Secondly, my daughter came back from work today with the news that the police had nicked a bike thief - they had found some seven bikes in his shed - one of which belonged to one of her colleagues. We haven't yet heard anything officially from the police, but I understand that the security cameras (which we suspected were dummies), had picked up some information that had been handed to the cops.

The moral of the story, in addition to getting a decent lock(s) for your bike, is to report anything to the police - they may be able to piece together bits of information and build up a picture of a scroat.

>> The moral of the story, in addition to getting a decent lock(s) for your bike,
>> is to report anything to the police - they may be able to piece together
>> bits of information and build up a picture of a scroat.

The TV is a plus the,. Another point is trying to park the bike in plain view where a thief cannot work unobserved/undisturbed

Brompton World Championship - Bromptonaut
Comes to London as part of the Prudential Ride London thing:

www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/The_Events/Grand_Prix/Brompton_World_Championship.htm
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 24 Mar 15 at 20:00

Brompton World Championship - Runfer D'Hills
I like the bit about no sportswear allowed.

Brompton World Championship - Bromptonaut
>> I like the bit about no sportswear allowed.

Should be mandatory in more areas of cycling.

Brompton World Championship - Boxsterboy
Yes, I saw that and am very tempted to enter. Except it starts at 5.00 pm, comprises 8 laps (how long are the laps) and I've got a charity place in the Prudential ride the next day which means an early start for Stratford!

Brompton World Championship - Robin O'Reliant
This will be of interest to the Bromptonites of this parish -

www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11504060/In-defence-of-Brompton-Man-the-cyclist-who-puts-function-over-style.html

Brompton World Championship - Boxsterboy
After 8 months commuting on my Brompton, I agree entirely with what the Telegraph man says about the qualities of these little bikes (although I've not ventured up Box Hill on mine yet). Why, just tonight I came home with a roll of 2.0 x 1.4m cushioned vinyl flooring, hefty torque wrench, fencing glove, new pair of pedals and a few other bits and bobs strategically placed around the bike, and apart from sensibly braking a bit earlier you hardly knew they were there.

Brompton World Championship - Old Navy
>> Why, just tonight I came home with a roll of 2.0 x. ..........
>>

I thought cyclists were a bit deficient in the brain cell count, now I am convinced. :-)
 Near miss and not so near miss - BobbyG
Started cycling to work again this week.

Yesterday coming home I passed an accident on the other side of road. Cyclist lying pole axed on the road just after a junction with a car at right angles. Car had obviously taken him out crossing the junction to take the M73 slip. Guy looked to be unconscious and a few seconds later I heard the siren of the ambulance coming.

Shook me up as it is the most dangerous part of my commute and I am always very wary at that spot. Passed that spot this morning and there was a huge pool of dried blood on the road. If it happened at the junction as I suspect, then the cyclist must have travelled a good ten yards in the air before hitting the deck.

Then on cycle home tonight a Wincanton lorry joined the roundabout I was on without stopping and came straight out in front of me. Had to slam on the brakes (which I had just had replaced at the weekend) and swerve. Seeing lorry wheels pass the end of your handlebars is a scary feeling. Ironically, I had just switched my pedals at the weekend to clippy ones and had been warned that at some point I would find myself on the deck with my bike still attached. Somehow I did manage to get my foot out just as the bike was falling!

Has also made me rethink my desire to buy a road bike this year. My current bike is a hybrid with upright handlebars and I think that for commuting especially, the extra vision and upright, more noticeable position, makes you a bit safer (though not to Wincanton lorry drivers)

Near miss and not so near miss - RichardW
If you got your foot out, the clips are not tight enough.... :-)

Bit of a shake up things like that - you just need to be on the watch out like a hawk for everyone else doing stupid things, especially when it's busy!

Near miss and not so near miss - BobbyG
Started cycling to work again this week.

Yesterday coming home I passed an accident on the other side of road. Cyclist lying pole axed on the road just after a junction with a car at right angles. Car had obviously taken him out crossing the junction to take the M73 slip. Guy looked to be unconscious and a few seconds later I heard the siren of the ambulance coming.

Shook me up as it is the most dangerous part of my commute and I am always very wary at that spot. Passed that spot this morning and there was a huge pool of dried blood on the road. If it happened at the junction as I suspect, then the cyclist must have travelled a good ten yards in the air before hitting the deck.

Then on cycle home tonight a Wincanton lorry joined the roundabout I was on without stopping and came straight out in front of me. Had to slam on the brakes (which I had just had replaced at the weekend) and swerve. Seeing lorry wheels pass the end of your handlebars is a scary feeling. Ironically, I had just switched my pedals at the weekend to clippy ones and had been warned that at some point I would find myself on the deck with my bike still attached. Somehow I did manage to get my foot out just as the bike was falling!

Has also made me rethink my desire to buy a road bike this year. My current bike is a hybrid with upright handlebars and I think that for commuting especially, the extra vision and upright, more noticeable position, makes you a bit safer (though not to Wincanton lorry drivers)

Another death. - Old Navy
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3032248/Female-cyclist-fifth-rider-killed-London-s-streets-year-rush-hour-accident-lorry-near-Lambeth-Bridge.html

Another death. - Fursty Ferret
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3032248/Female-cyclist-fifth-rider-killed-London-s-streets-year-rush-hour-accident-lorry-near-Lambeth-Bridge.html
>>

Is there something about tipper lorries that make them particularly prone to squishing cyclists?

Another death. - Zero
Most get squished under the rear wheels, because of the high open nature of them there is nothing there to knock you out of harms way.

I also have a theory, that pedestrians and cyclists (and me as a motorist sometimes) are surprised by the rates of acceleration they can achieve. You may think a gap is safe, but they can be in there in the twinkle of an eye. They are the sports cars of the lorry world.

Plus, and it may be a generalisation this, but in my experience its true, - hmmm how can I put this, Tippers and Cement Mixers are driven by the scroats of the lorry world. And their management aint much better.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 Apr 15 at 09:04

Another death. - Zero

>> Plus, and it may be a generalisation this, but in my experience its true, -
>> hmmm how can I put this, Tippers and Cement Mixers are driven by the scroats
>> of the lorry world. And their management aint much better.

Example

www.standard.co.uk/news/london/lorry-driver-banned-from-the-roads-five-times-admits-jumping-red-light-and-killing-cyclist-10164566.html

How does a 5 times banned driver with no license get employed driving a truck?

Another death. - Pat
I do hate having to agree with you Z.

That's all I'm saying!

Pat

Another death. - Slidingpillar
I also have a theory, that pedestrians and cyclists (and me as a motorist sometimes) are surprised by the rates of acceleration they can achieve. You may think a gap is safe, but they can be in there in the twinkle of an eye. They are the sports cars of the lorry world.

I remember being a passenger in a Range Rover being hassled by a tipper truck, and the Range Rover was not hanging about either. The firm who owned the truck had more than a bit of a reputation locally, and I'm pretty sure the drivers were on piece rates. Everyone locally gave the trucks owned by that company a very wide berth, loonies par excellence. I think it was pre-limiters, the firms empty tippers were regulary spotted doing 80 mph (on single carriageways too).

Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Fri 10 Apr 15 at 09:43

Another death. - John Boy
In the seventies, I knew someone who drove a tipper in London and hated his job with a vengeance. He collected unwanted hardcore or soil from building sites and took it to people who wanted it. His day was a catalogue of arguments - about what was being loaded into his lorry and what was being tipped out at his destination. In other words, he was piggy-in-the-middle. The last time I saw him, he was a changed man. He'd got a new job, getting up at 3am to deliver bread to shops and supermarkets. He loved it and I was so pleased for him.

I always think of him when I see tipper lorries and consequently give them a wide berth. I think you have to bear in mind too that, in order to carry those loads, they must be very pokey when empty.

Another death. - Manatee
I once followed an empty eight wheeler from Hawes to Leyburn and had to work to keep station with it. I couldn't deny the driver's raw skill, but his judgement was awful. Every blind bend had me holding my breath.

I've got deja vu (again). Must have written that before.

Another death. - Boxsterboy

>> Plus, and it may be a generalisation this, but in my experience its true, -
>> hmmm how can I put this, Tippers and Cement Mixers are driven by the scroats
>> of the lorry world. And their management aint much better.
>>

Totally agree. And you can add scaffolding trucks too.

Another death. - Bobby
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32249804

Another death. - Harleyman

>> I also have a theory, that pedestrians and cyclists (and me as a motorist sometimes)
>> are surprised by the rates of acceleration they can achieve.

It shouldn't really come as a surprise. After all, a run-of-the-mill 8-legger will have a 400 BHP engine as minimum these days; mine, though not a tipper, claims 460. When you consider that unladen they only weigh about 13 tonnes, that's a decent power to weight ratio.

My old ERF tractor unit back in the late 1980's was great fun at traffic lights when returning to the yard "bob-tail" i.e. sans trailer. More than a few boy racers got a shock when I dumped the clutch in high range and out-dragged them; not so easy now with the modern ones cos like cars they've got too many gizmos to take the fun out of things.

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Haywain
My bike managed to throw the chain off this morning - I think because I back-pedalled a bit and the derailleur cogs are bunged up with swarf.

I wonder if the cyclists on here can recommend a particular de-greaser. I note that Halfords etc sell chain cleaners - but I don't know if they are any better than good old Gunk at half the price.

Any comments/suggestions gratefully received.

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Robin O'Reliant
>> My bike managed to throw the chain off this morning - I think because I
>> back-pedalled a bit and the derailleur cogs are bunged up with swarf.
>>
>> I wonder if the cyclists on here can recommend a particular de-greaser. I note that
>> Halfords etc sell chain cleaners - but I don't know if they are any better
>> than good old Gunk at half the price.
>>
>> Any comments/suggestions gratefully received.
>>

White spirit and a paint brush. It brings it up like new.

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Bobby
My local indie bike repair guy suggests getting some of those green scourer/sponge things you get for washing your dishes.
Cut them into strips, add oil to the pad and then run the chain through it. The scourer removes the gunge and the oil lubricates.

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Runfer D'Hills
When you have it clean, and white spirit will do that as Robin suggests but in fact ( very ) hot soapy water and a stiff brush will do a good job, I use GT85 on mine. Some suck their teeth at using that on chains but it resists clogging and throws the dirt off. Downside is you need to re-apply very regularly. I re-lube before every ( off road ) run, which in my case represents about every 20-30 miles.

Less suitable therefore for road use but when you're riding in sticky stuff or there's any sand about it really helps.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 10 Apr 15 at 22:19

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Fullchat
Regular question on motorcycle forums. Bearing in mind that motorcycle chains have rubber O rings on each link which have to be treated with some respect. Paraffin / Diesel, tooth brush and a wipe with a cloth to get the grime off then any suitable chain lube. The PTFE stuff seems popular as there is not so much 'sling off'.

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Fursty Ferret
I use a generic citrusy degreaser. Seems to work well, though I've got a wax lubricant on my mountain bike now which flakes off, taking the dirt with it. Not cleaned the chain for months.

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Robin O'Reliant
The most effective cleaner I've used was a 50/50 mixture of diesel and petrol, recommended by a pro race mechanic. I don't bother now however, as it's a faff to buy and store.

I tend to rely mostly on it raining when I'm driving home with the bikes on the roof...

;-)

Cleaning chain/gears..... - bathtub tom
>> I tend to rely mostly on it raining when I'm driving home with the bikes
>> on the roof...

And we all thought you let it dry hard so it breaks off next time you go over the bars.

;>)

Ho ho ho !

Actually, I've managed to stay on it more or less every week this year so far. The bill for the Christmas "rebuild" ( as in I think we managed to salvage the brake levers at least from the old bike...) was a bit of a scunner...

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Old Navy
>> My bike managed to throw the chain off this morning - I think because I
>> back-pedalled a bit and the derailleur cogs are bunged up with swarf.
>>

Swarf is metal shavings, you may need more than a bit of polish. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 11 Apr 15 at 13:33

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Haywain
"Swarf is metal shavings, you may need more than a bit of polish. :-)"

You are absolutely correct, ON, and I knew that because I had looked up the correct spelling for swarf - and saw that your definition i.e. 'metal shavings', was given.

This may be a midlands thing, but since I was a nipper, we have referred to the filthy blend of oil, grease, dust and general muck as 'swarf'. Presumably others see this word-usage as well - hence 'Swarfega' is used to remove the aforementioned filthy mix from one's hands - not metal shavings.

Cleaning chain/gears..... - Bromptonaut
If the tension/jockey wheels on your changer are gummed up then that's not necessarily same job as cleaning the chain.

Suggest you start by removing as much crud as you can with a narrow screwdriver blade (easier if you can turn the chain backwards while doing this. An old toothbrush plus solvent - pretty much anything such as paraffin, white spirit or GT85 etc will do - will finish the job off.

Chains IMHO are best cleaned off the bike; use a chain tool or the 'magic' link if you've got one. Drop chain into a PET pop bottle and add 200ml of white spirit. Leave to soak for 20min then agitate vigorously. Drain off white spirit, retrieve chain and examine. If lightly soiled it's now probably fine to allow to dry and reinstall. If still cruddy clean with toothbrush/solvent and repeat the bottle treatment.

While you've got chain off clean sprockets as well and consider stripping jockey/tension wheels and cleaning bearings etc. This works with older models - some modern Shi*mano stuff may be sealed for life.

Aldi - Bobby
I see Aldi have got some cycling gear tomorrow - just in time for me needing some new cycling shoes

Aldi - Runfer D'Hills
At one level, that's fairly impressive Bobby, I hadn't realised you had more than one pair of shoes, however, if you are going to splash out on a second pair, and even if those are intended primarily for cycling...

Oh look never mind !

;-)

Aldi - Bobby
Humph as you know I do proper cycling where effort is needed, none of this take a chairlift to the top of a hill and freewheel down stuff....

My current shoes are from Aldi and have served me well so time to replace them and might as well go for the ones I know are comfy and long lasting???

Aldi - Runfer D'Hills
Chairlift ? I wish !

The descent is the reward of course, but the ascent is the price.

Aldi - Robin O'Reliant
>> At one level, that's fairly impressive Bobby, I hadn't realised you had more than one
>> pair of shoes, however, if you are going to splash out on a second pair,
>> and even if those are intended primarily for cycling...
>>
>> Oh look never mind !
>>
>> ;-)
>>
Bloomin' hell Runfer, I knew you were a mountain biker but don't tell me you ride in trainers too?

Aldi - Runfer D'Hills
Gore Tex approach shoes in preference to be honest. Never got on with clips. I get off a bit too often and usually a mite too suddenly and unexpectedly for them.

No Lycra garments either.

;-)

Aldi - lycra - ....
i58.tinypic.com/15wgm05.jpg

tinyurl.com/oljcj2d

Paris Roubaix 2015 - Idiot Cyclists Take on TGV - zippy
www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/12/paris-roubaix-cyclists-train-level-crossing

Madness!

The video is good quality. These numpties should be fined and disqualified from driving as well!

Paris Roubaix 2015 - Idiot Cyclists Take on TGV - Old Navy
Lycra louts, head down and go for it, does anyone wonder why they get killed. If any of them had been killed at least they couldn't blame a motorist.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 12 Apr 15 at 19:45

Paris Roubaix 2015 - Idiot Cyclists Take on TGV - Robin O'Reliant
Relax, its France where they understand these things and just give a shrug. It's happened many times over the years in pro cycling, though there may be disqualifications as a result according to the online cycling mags.

Gripping race too, by far the best sporting event f the week.

Paris Roubaix 2015 - Idiot Cyclists Take on TGV - Armel Coussine
>> Lycra louts, head down and go for it, does anyone wonder why they get killed.

Not head down, they were looking all right. None got hit. A bit close though, these modern trains go very fast.

I don't mind illegal. It was their own lives they were risking. Might have upset the driver though if one had been wasted. He should be compensated, perhaps from the 'victim's' life insurance, when that happens. Unless he was cool with it and realised it wasn't his fault, as a rational person would. He isn't the person who has to wash the bits and pieces off the front of the train. But perhaps he should get a trauma bonus too.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 12 Apr 15 at 20:01

Paris Roubaix 2015 - Idiot Cyclists Take on TGV - Westpig
It is in the rules of engagement for them to be disqualified for doing that.

Loads of young impressionable people watch that sport. Why weren't they disqualified?

>> It is in the rules of engagement for them to be disqualified for doing that.
>>
>> Loads of young impressionable people watch that sport. Why weren't they disqualified?
>>

Relax, it's in France. They do things differently there.

Paris Roubaix 2015 - Idiot Cyclists Take on TGV - Boxsterboy
Apparently SNCF want them prosecuted, and rightly so.
 Paris Roubaix 2015 - Idiot Cyclists Take on TGV - Dutchie
Can't say I am surprised they where in a race.The barriers where in the way.

If any cyclist would have been killed.Non ,je regrette nien.Edith Piaf.
Last edited by: Dutchie on Thu 16 Apr 15 at 12:09

Paris Roubaix 2015 - Idiot Cyclists Take on TGV - Bromptonaut
Stupid thing to do, and one which surely the race rules should cover.

OTOH, while the train was a TGV it was moving at low speed on what looks like a relatively local/rural line, there are no level crossings on the Lingnes a Grande Vittesse. Either it was off the fast lines accessing a station stop or it was an empty stock movement.

>> Stupid thing to do, and one which surely the race rules should cover.
>>
>>
The organisers are taking no sanctions against the riders. This event was a bit high profile, but riders going round level crossing barriers is as old as racing itself.

Latest Forum Posts