Non-motoring > Numpties DSLR Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 73

Numpties DSLR - legacylad
Now I have the deposit paid on a big trip later this year, my septic friends recommend I get a half decent DSLR for the memories. I have no intention of becoming the next David Bailey, but a simple to operate & robust camera might, at this juncture, be a wise purchase. I'm not bothered about new, and have no set budget, but would be very grateful for any advice from people with more expertise of these things. Which means everyone.
 Numpties DSLR - No FM2R
1) I know nothing.

2) I got loads of advice here when looking for a camera for No 1 daughter which would do everything she wanted, but not be too expensive in case it was a passing hobby.

We bought this.

www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-S9400W-Digital-3-0-Inch/dp/B00HGE3CZI

The main thing to note is that the lens is NOT changeable.

She loves it and she has taken some really lovely pictures with it - from landscapes to beetles and most things in between.

It has a fully auto mode, but she messes around with loads of settings as well.

She is pretty dedicated and has started taking lessons. Her teacher, a professional photographer, seems as happy with her camera at this stage as she does.

There are great deals on this and the 9200 at the moment from Amazon in the US, and since you can ship it to a US address that may well be the way to go.

You may find the inability to change lens restrictive. With the 50x optical zoom and the various panoramic and filter options, she does not

In any case, whatever camera you buy, if you want it for the US I strongly recommend that you cruise the US sites, buy it there and get it shipped to a US address ready for you.

My experience was that the US was about 20% cheaper than the UK and about 40% cheaper than Chile.
Muchas gracias
The trip is October but I hope to visit my US friends before then ( I am almost out of Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix) so that is a definite possibility.
I shall read up on this camera at the weekend. No idea what a 'bridge' camera is, but I shall find our. Appreciated.
 Numpties DSLR - No FM2R
>>No idea what a 'bridge' camera is

The cameras in between a compact and a full blown, expensive DSLR.

Really, I genuinely know nothing, but as far as I can see you'd have to want to do a lot to go the whole hog.
 Numpties DSLR - No FM2R
>>( I am almost out of Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix)

Your lucky day.....

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I8OIQ1K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0028LGNSM&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1AJWZDVP72KDSBERH24W
I didn't see that. I didn't see that
Look, I'm clutching at straws for any old excuse to visit my CA pals.
And the packets always getter swabbed at security which makes me smile
 Numpties DSLR - No FM2R
>>I'm clutching at straws for any old excuse to visit my CA pals.

Ooh, sorry. Ssshhhhh.
 Numpties DSLR - Zero

>> We bought this.
>>
>> www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-S9400W-Digital-3-0-Inch/dp/B00HGE3CZI
>>
>> The main thing to note is that the lens is NOT changeable.

This is known as a "bridge" camera. A quick quote that explains the term

the bridge camera forms a bridge between a compact point-and-shoot camera and a full-blown DSLR.

It typically features some, but not all, of the manual settings and even physical controls that one would expect to find on an entry-level DSLR, including occasional command dials and chunky shooting mode wheels. But it retains some of the accessibility and user friendliness of a snapshot camera, plus the lens can't be removed or swapped.

Unsurprisingly, its design has aspects of the two types of camera, although the overall look and handling of a bridge camera tends to suggest what we'd term a DSLR 'lite'.

Nearly every traditional camera manufacturer and electronics giant has a bridge model in its current range.
 Numpties DSLR - CGNorwich
A bridge camera is certainly a half way house between a DSLR and a compact and for many it is ideal. In some way though it can be the worst of both worlds neither being particularly portable but on the other hand being rather limiting if you want to get into some aspects of photography.

Personally I have a DSLR and a compact. The DSLR is used mainly for macro and flower photography The compact is used for holidays and family snaps. Bearing in mind the ever reducing prices of cameras, at least in terms of what you get for your money, and how cheap they can be second hand this is not a too expensive way to go.
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
We are off to spain (have the use of a friends villa) for a couple of weeks, will be flying cheap and light - carry on baggage only. These days size and weight matters, so we will be taking wifeys compact pocket nikon like we did last year.

I have discovered the joys of the multi pocketed travellers gillet. Pockets galore for cameras, phones, pads, passports, food, drink, etc etc etc. The ideal way to defeat Ryan Jets attempt to fleece you out of money.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 Mar 15 at 09:00
 Numpties DSLR - Runfer D'Hills

>> I have discovered the joys of the multi pocketed travellers gillet...

Excruciatingly uncool though. Especially so if you try to stuff a fortnight's worth of underpants in the pockets. Your call of course. Maybe it's one of those resorts where old people wander about in the buff?

;-)
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
>>
>> >> I have discovered the joys of the multi pocketed travellers gillet...
>>
>> Excruciatingly uncool though. Especially so if you try to stuff a fortnight's worth of underpants
>> in the pockets. Your call of course.

Its fine on the way out, but coming back with the used ones is **really** uncool. I hope to get a seat next to you one day.
 Numpties DSLR - Manatee
Ah, the coat of many pockets. Much loved by the sartorially challenged. I have two.

When I was travelling I got into the habit of using my Barbour border jacket for that purpose. Those dead rabbit pockets hold a lot of stuff.
 Numpties DSLR - Runfer D'Hills
I once tried to go through airport security with half a dozen shotgun cartridges in the pockets of my Barbour. I'd been shooting that morning and forgotten about them. Didn't have time to change before rushing for a Sunday night flight to somewhere.

Major sense of humour failure by the security staff...

:-(
 Numpties DSLR - WillDeBeest
In any case, whatever camera you buy, if you want it for the US I strongly recommend that you cruise the US sites, buy it there and get it shipped to a US address ready for you.

With most consumer goods I'd agree but not in this case. If you want the camera to record the trip, you will want to be thoroughly familiar with it before you go. The whole point of an advanced camera is that it's, well, advanced. It will have idiot modes but they won't get the best out of it, so you will need to spend some practice time with it at home before you rely on it for something you can't repeat.

Size does matter too. I still like my Pentax *ist-D, although it's nine years old and has been eclipsed in terms of megapixels and modes by newer models. It's compact for a full, mirrored DSLR, and does the basic photo functions very well. The best Pentax lenses are also very good indeed, and even the cheaper ones get the Super Multicoating that makes them the best into-the-light lenses I've used. There isn't the choice you get with Nikon or Canon but how many do you really need? They'll also fit the Samsung body that Which? likes.

But the SLR isn't the be-all-and-end-all that it once was. Some of the compact system cameras are just gorgeous, especially Fuji's X-mount series. You can get close to the best of all worlds, with combination optical and electronic finders, large sensors and interchangeable lenses without the bulk of an SLR.

A bridge camera, on the other hand, is close to the worst of all worlds; you get the bulk without the step up in quality. And it won't make you look like a Japanese tourist; it'll make you look like Zero.
 Numpties DSLR - Manatee

>> Size does matter too. I still like my Pentax *ist-D, although it's nine years old
>> and has been eclipsed in terms of megapixels and modes by newer models.

I have one actually a *istDL2 - I still use it for the annual village panto pictures with a big flash attached.

I also have a Kx, 12MP rather than 5, and much better in low light. I had a Kr but it had the front focussing problem in low light, which was what I bought it for, so I went backwards to the Kx. I like Pentax but they are a minority pastime these days - I started with the K1000, MX, ME in the film era.

>> But the SLR isn't the be-all-and-end-all that it once was. Some of the compact system
>> cameras are just gorgeous, especially Fuji's X-mount series. You can get close to the best
>> of all worlds, with combination optical and electronic finders, large sensors and interchangeable lenses without
>> the bulk of an SLR.

I like the look of the X-E1 kit spamcan found.

>>
>> A bridge camera, on the other hand, is close to the worst of all worlds;
>> you get the bulk without the step up in quality. And it won't make you
>> look like a Japanese tourist; it'll make you look like Zero.

Pretty much agree with that. Unless you need a ridiculous zoom there isn't much reason to have one for point and shoot, and even then the compacts are almost as good.
 Numpties DSLR - Zero

>> look like a Japanese tourist; it'll make you look like Zero.

Only in your wildest dreams would you be able to look like me you great hooved lummox.
There isn't a cheese strong enough, thank goodness.
 Numpties DSLR - Duncan
I know less than nothing about photography.

However, I do subscribe to Which? magazine - cue for the C4P scoffers to come out of the woodwork - and over the years Which? has served me well.

They tested 63 DSLR cameras.

First with 86% and maximum five star rating for ease of use was the Samsung NX30 @ £499.
Then looking at the less pricey Best Buys were:-
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 with 83% £449.
Canon EOS 700D 82% £401.
Nikon D3300 81% £305
 Numpties DSLR - Old Navy
I use a Panasonic TZ 35, (there are newer models) £100ish from Argos. A good quality camera that fits in your pocket, for the average tourist it does all a DSLR does, gives excellent results, and you don't get fed up with carrying a big lump of plastic around and looking like an oriental tourist.
 Numpties DSLR - Crankcase
I use a micro four thirds - most of the power of DSLR, and has swappable lenses, but all tiny and light, so no lugging huge bags of kit about. Mine's an Olympus and been very pleased with the results, either in full auto or twiddling about with settings.
 Numpties DSLR - smokie
I did a bit of a special trip a few years ago round various blues haunts in Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi etc. I had an SLR with me and while the scenery shots were probably better than a happy snaps camera it was useless to lug around in the venues I was seeing the bands. I didn't go on the trip for the scenery though, they were taken really only so that I'd have some pics which would be of some limited interest to anyone who I showed my snaps to. So think about what you really want and whether an expensive and cumbersome SLR is really what you need.

btw I ditched the SLR and bought a half decent bridge camera since that trip. I still think I should have spent the money on a really decent pocket size camera, as the camera is still cumbersome and a decent pocket camera would take good enough pics for the memories (just maybe at some cost to the picture quality, which most people wouldn't notice). The phone camera takes perfectly adequate shots in most situations.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 6 Mar 15 at 08:29
 Numpties DSLR - Haywain
" you don't get fed up with carrying a big lump of plastic around and looking like an oriental tourist."

I'm with ON on the size/convenience issue for travelling.

It must be 5 or 6 years since I bought a Nikon D80 DSLR and a couple of lenses; the snag is that, when travelling, the extra bulk of the camera and the hassle of changing lenses is a pain. I rarely use it now, and most of the time, it lives with my son.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Nikon Coolpix P7100 (no longer available) - it's slightly bigger than a typical 'compact' camera, but not as big as a bridge camera. The optical zoom takes it to the equivalent of a 200mm 35mm lens. Nowadays, I use it in virtually every situation - and especially travelling.

I guess the nearest equivalent currently available is something like the Canon PowerShot G16
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
>> " you don't get fed up with carrying a big lump of plastic around and
>> looking like an oriental tourist."
>>
>> I'm with ON on the size/convenience issue for travelling.

The reason I gave up on SLR's and moved to bridge cameras. I also discovered the best camera bag is the one that sits nicely on the shoulder all the time, and the one you can instantly get the camera out of. Sometimes speed and convenience matters a lot to get the shot.
 Numpties DSLR - Old Navy
As regulars will know we went to northern Norway just before Chrtitmas. Mrs ON having done much research borrowed a friends DSLR as very long exposures and big apertures are required for photographing the northern lights and her bridge camera was not considered to be adequate, we have a good tripod. I used my Panasonic on night shot mode and various manual modes resting on a solid object. We were fortunate with clear skies for a whole week and the lights were at their best. Her photos were very good even when enlarged. Mine were of a lesser quality but only noticeable when enlarged above A5 size, there was little difference between night shot and manual mode quality with the Panasonic.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 6 Mar 15 at 09:30
Good call on the tripod, ON. The best camera and lens in the world won't help you if you can't hold them steady. I've found G-clamps and beanbags good for small cameras; I also have a Gorillapod but it hasn't impressed me. But an SLR needs a proper tripod.
 Numpties DSLR - Old Navy
A tripod is required for the NLs but having said that that NLs are mobile so some blurring is unavoidable. If you see very sharp NL photos someone has been very lucky with static lights or is good with Photoshop. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 6 Mar 15 at 10:02
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
>> A tripod is required for the NLs but having said that that NLs are mobile
>> so some blurring is unavoidable. If you see very sharp NL photos someone has been
>> very lucky with static lights or is good with Photoshop. :)

Or they have used a very expensive motorised tripod base
 Numpties DSLR - Old Navy

>>
>> Or they have used a very expensive motorised tripod base
>>

Obviously synchronised to the random movement of the NLs. :)
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
to get the stars pinpricked in the background rather than white lines.
 Numpties DSLR - Old Navy
It still does not stop the lights blurring.
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
well as they are moving your eyes are blurring them as well

You could of course video them and take a single frame out of the video, which after all is just a series of single frames.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 Mar 15 at 10:23
 Numpties DSLR - Old Navy
Your eyes are seeing them in real time. Also you can't take movies of the lights because of the exposure times. Any movies you may see are a time lapse speeded up. This is advice taken from professionals on site.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 6 Mar 15 at 10:28
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
>> Your eyes are seeing them in real time. Also you can't take movies of the
>> lights because of the exposure times. Any movies you may see are a time lapse
>> speeded up.

Nope. A good professional low light video camera will easily do that in real time. and they have done. Time lapse would be no good it would be "jumpy"
 Numpties DSLR - Old Navy
Of course us tourists all have professional quality movie cameras in our back pockets.

I am off out for a pain fix at the dental hygienist, have an argument with yourself. :)
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
And i thought you had the best of everything. Disappointed in you
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
>> Good call on the tripod, ON. The best camera and lens in the world won't
>> help you if you can't hold them steady. I've found G-clamps and beanbags good for
>> small cameras; I also have a Gorillapod but it hasn't impressed me. But an SLR
>> needs a proper tripod.

Gorilla pods are called for lightweight pocket cameras but useless for heavy DSLRs, the theory is good but you can never get them to "grip" sufficiently.

As far as a tripod goes, unless you intend to do special shots (a pre planned long exposure - low light for example) they are a right pita to carry abut with you on a trip. Most cameras have good anti shake stabilisation now for most common travel scenarios. Monopods are good, you can use them as walking poles.

Numpties DSLR - Manatee
Well it's a truism that the best camera is the one you have with you...and you are unlikely to want to lug an SLR and an extra lens or two everywhere unless you are specifically on a photo mission. But the brief here seems to include picture quality and implies a larger sensor and faster lens than the ones usually found in compact superzooms or many bridge cameras.

Not to dismiss bridge cameras - the Panasonic FZ1000 is remarkable and uses a biggish sensor. But many are all about the zoom, so choose carefully.

Worth reading:

goo.gl/taSVvu (dpreview DSLR buying guide).

I use a DSLR (for depth of field control, low light, sports photography etc and with a big flashgun) but the default "just need to take a camera with me" is my LX3 which I love, so I'll mention its descendant...if you don't need a long zoom then the Panasonic LX7 just now is a bargain IMO.

Much better quality than typical compact superzooms owing to the bigger sensor, fairly pocketable, fast lens, good quality pictures, full manual control or very clever auto (assuming it's moved on at all from the LX3 which continually surprises me with how good it is - if I didn't already have that I'd buy the LX7 tomorrow).
 Numpties DSLR - spamcan61
>> Well it's a truism that the best camera is the one you have with you...and
>> you are unlikely to want to lug an SLR and an extra lens or two
>> everywhere unless you are specifically on a photo mission. But the brief here seems to
>> include picture quality and implies a larger sensor and faster lens than the ones usually
>> found in compact superzooms or many bridge cameras.
>>
Personally I'd be looking at CSC based systems as a good (for some use cases) compromise between image quality and portability. Something like the Fuji X series, or equivalents from Panasonic et al. Big sensors, although most lack viewfinders.

www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/interchangeable-lens-cameras/

I've seen the XA-1 with two lenses available for around 300 notes in recent times
Looks like Fuji have the X-e1 'refurb' with two lenses for 400 quid.

shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-refurbished.html

EDIT: and the X-E1 does actually have an EVF. I'm tempted myself.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 6 Mar 15 at 12:23
 Numpties DSLR - Manatee
>> Looks like Fuji have the X-e1 'refurb' with two lenses for 400 quid.
>>
>> EDIT: and the X-E1 does actually have an EVF. I'm tempted myself.
>>

So am I!

If it matters to you, the refurb kit has the XC 16-50 f3.5-5.6 rather than the faster, more expensive metal XF 18-55 f2.8-4 lens - but I don't think that would bother me, having looked up tests on both.

>> If it matters to you, the refurb kit has the XC 16-50 f3.5-5.6 rather than
>> the faster, more expensive metal XF 18-55 f2.8-4 lens - but I don't think that
>> would bother me, having looked up tests on both.
>>
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted thx, I assume XF are the fancier lenses, they certainly ain't cheap! Cex charge 400 quid for the X-E1 plus the 18-55 second hand..ouch. Personally I'm not so fussed about having fast lenses in this digital age where one can always dial up more 'film speed'; although still essential for those that want shallow depth of field.

Personally I went from Pentax SLRs (ME-F, SF-7, MZ-5n) to a Panasonic bridge (FZ-20) and more recently a Panasonic Travel zoom (TZ-65)
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 7 Mar 15 at 17:00
 Numpties DSLR - Manatee
I've an MZ5N still - fantastic little camera, no use at all now...
Thank you everyone for your responses. It really is much appreciated.
The 'big trip' is mid October 2015, although I hope to visit my CA friends late June for R&R on their deck, hot tub and floating in Tahoe sippin margeritas!
Should that happen I can familiarise myself with the camera beforehand. Assuming I have it delivered to them, and assuming it was the first product in the post. Many other options were kindly mentioned, so when I get a few hours I shall sit down and carefully consider them all.
Thanks again....gotta dash to work to earn a few more Airmiles & beer tokens
Regards to all
Nor is my MZ-5n but the lenses I bought for it - and for its predecessor the ME Super, which I also still have - still work with the DSLR body, and will do if I update it to a newer one. My favourite lens is a mid-1980s SMC-A series 50mm f/2.8 macro; no AF of course but it works with all the other functions of the DSLR, and the smooth, low-geared focus ring is a mechanical treat to use.

I'm tempted by that Fuji package too!
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 7 Mar 15 at 14:06
 Numpties DSLR - Manatee
>> Nor is my MZ-5n but the lenses I bought for it - and for its
>> predecessor the ME Super, which I also still have - still work with the DSLR
>> body

Yes, I use a 28mm f2.8 SMC pancake lens which is very good.as a "standard" lens on the APS-C camera too. One reason I've stuck with Pentax, but I'm not sure I'd start there now.
 Numpties DSLR - RattleandSmoke
I use a standard Lumix point and shoot with 10x optical zoom and also have a Lumix G2 with Japaneese 45mm lenses and also got some 200mm ones which I use for taking pictures of air craft etc. The G2 is old now, but is still 12 megapixel and still takes a stunning photograph. With all the kit I spent around £500 on it, but will probably still have it in ten years time.

I decided that a proper DSR would mean the lens I need would be too big and the G2 which uses the micro four thirds system is still far better quality than a bridge camera. The images a lot sharper.

The camera I use most though? My Samsung Galaxy S4!
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 7 Mar 15 at 17:18
...10x optical zoom...

I hate that phrase; switches me right off the moment it exits a salesman's mouth because it makes it plain he's not a photographer. There's a world of photographic difference between 24-240 (useful at the wide end) and 35-350 (impressive but mostly redundant.) I'd rather have a 24-75 - or even a fixed 24 - than a 35-350,000.
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
>
>> have a 24-75 - or even a fixed 24 -

Now you are just being silly for the sake if it and starting to act like a photographic wierdo snob. One lens, a fixed 24, would be utterly useless for most scenarios. Far too optically abberated, as soon as you tilt it above the horizontal the world becomes a distorted place

Yeah, well, maybe a little. But my little Canon S100 is 24mm at the wide end and I'm surprised how seldom I set it to anything else.
Given that I've still got all my Pentax K fit gear rattling around (lenses plus bellows, extension tubes n'stuff) I really should buy a Pentax DSLR, but to be honest I'm not convinced I'd use it much.
 Numpties DSLR - John Boy
I was in that situation and bought the first Pentax DSLR thinking I would use my existing lenses on it. The camera came with a zoom lens, which was a revelation. I'd been led to believe that a zoom would not perform as well as the relevant fixed focal length lenses. If that's true, I've not noticed it. The real surprise, however, was how light in weight a modern zoom lens is and consequently I've barely used the fixed lenses. Mind you, the DSLR is still like carrying a half brick around.
I more often use a little compact. It's good, but compacts and phone cameras can't compete, for image quality, with the big chunk of glass on a DSLR, regardless of how many megapixels they utilise.
 Numpties DSLR - rtj70
I'm sure I've said all this before on here in various threads. But to summarise my feelings on DSLR, smartphone cameras etc.

We used to visit a lot of European cities on short holidays. We liked to visit churches and other buildings. My camera at the time was a fairly basic Canon point and shoot digital (5MP or thereabout). It was rubbish for photos.

So I decided to get something with image stabilisation, bigger sensor.... at the time (2006?) this was therefore a DSLR. And I got a Sony as it happens. And it took (and takes) excellent pictures. Back then you'd not expect a DSLR to do video but I also had a camcorder (tape based) which I'd take with me.

But I'd either have the Sony DSLR to hand or the camcorder. I didn't have both to hand. So I missed opportunities for video/photo and so a rethink was needed. I'd also got rid of the mortgage :-) so cost wise I could afford something new. And of course the Sony A100 DSLR weighed about a kilo with a lens so impacted hand luggage weights.

So I got a Panasonic Lumix G2 when they came out. Always had the intention of getting something similar to the 14-140mm lens when the likes of Sigma or Tamron had M4/3 lenses. Never did get another lens. Photos are great and it does video too. So please for a while.

And then got a new smartphone that has impressed for photos. So often I just have the phone. Okay the images are not up to the standard from the DSLR or even the Lumix G2. But for a photo to remember a moment - absolutely fine. Even used only the phone in Poland in 2013 because we only took hand luggage (Ryan Air). Part of the reason I risked getting an HTC One when they came out because it was meant to take good photos in low light. Just not high resolution (4MP).
 Numpties DSLR - Stuartli
>> Part of the reason I risked getting an HTC One when they came out because it was meant to take good photos in low light. Just not high resolution (4MP).>>

I had an HTC One X with an 8Mp camera. I got superb photographs and videos with it even in very low light conditions - certainly they were better than my current One M8 (4Mp).

But I stick to a Nikon D90 with the 18-105mm zoom for the serious stuff.
 Numpties DSLR - Lemma
For years I lugged a bagful of Nikon 35mm slr body and lenses around, never again. Just too heavy and cumbersome. I now have a 16x Sony point and shoot to just carry on my belt but also felt the need to upgrade. I eventually got a Panasonic Lumix G3 with two zoom lenses and a carry bag. Essentially a point and shoot with interchangeable lenses and, most importantly, an electronic view finder. I found the lack of a viewfinder with a point and shoot was unhelpful. The G3 is very light, with an articulating screen for difficult angle shots and with some very useful,programmes as well. I particularly like these types of cameras, using the new four thirds format, which were designed around digital technology whilst dslrs are a compromise between film and digital. Managing depth of field, even without dof preview, is very good too. Quite frankly the main constraint to good pictures with kit as good as this is the photographer not the equipment. I bought my G3 package slightly secondhand for £300, a terrific deal.
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
Well I splurged my recent 4 figure youtube windfall on a new camera, as the old fuji HS10 has gone into limp home mode

The new addition is a Panasonic DC-TZ200 "pocket"?* camera. Its price has dropped a fair bit from launch and in addition there is currently a £100 cashback offer.

Jeez its a complicated mucker, in no time at all I had it into 4k burst focus bracketing mode, taking a gazzilon shots every time i pressed the button, and no idea how to look at the individual frames.

So a quick reset into factory mode, and now a long read of the 63 page manual!

*Its not going to slip into your jeans pocket, but it will slide into a coat pocket and fit nicely in my man bag
 Numpties DSLR - Duncan
Top thread resurrection, Zero!
 Numpties DSLR - No FM2R
Not having it. I am going to find a legitimate and reasonable way of beating it.
 Numpties DSLR - Dog
>>Jeez its a complicated mucker

Like my Canon 800D, almost sent it back at one point, but I registered with Practical Photography, and one of the clowns helped me out BIG time.

I also have a Lumix TZ80, probably smaller than the TZ200, great little packet camera, which fits in my, um, pocket.

My Lumix FZ 200 is still alive and clicking, probably my favourite camera if truth be told.
 Numpties DSLR - Dog
I took a photo of a moonlit night with my Canon DSLR using idiot (intelligent?) mode and,
when I came to upload it onto my PC, the image was akin to a daytime shot :)

I did notice that the shutter was open for some seconds, quite amazing really, I thought. Pity about the pic though.
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
>> Well I splurged my recent 4 figure youtube windfall on a new camera, as the
>> old fuji HS10 has gone into limp home mode
>>
>>
>> The new addition is a Panasonic DC-TZ200 "pocket"?* camera. Its price has dropped a fair
>> bit from launch and in addition there is currently a £100 cashback offer.

And here is a video I put together about it, best watched in 4k (if your internet is fast enough) to get an idea of the cameras output

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J15d6dfcMCY
 Numpties DSLR - Duncan

>> And here is a video I put together about it, best watched in 4k (if
>> your internet is fast enough) to get an idea of the cameras output
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=J15d6dfcMCY
>>

Nice video Z.

You must have just missed me going along the canal on my bike. I could have been a star!
 Numpties DSLR - Zero

>> You must have just missed me going along the canal on my bike. I could
>> have been a star!

Your only shot at stardom is if Elon Musk straps you on the front of Space-X and launches you into space.
 Numpties DSLR - Dog
Nice wun.
 Numpties DSLR - Fenlander
Nice camera Zero... but hell of a cost. They do seem to have managed to achieve bridge camera performance and features in a very easy to carry package though.

>>>My Lumix FZ 200 is still alive and clicking, probably my favourite camera if truth be told.

Funnily enough n-e I still have the FZ150 (which is yours with a slightly slower lens) I bought at about the same time and it's proved overall the best camera I've owned in my life for its balance of results, features and usability.
 Numpties DSLR - Dog
I prefer using the FZ200 to my recently-acquired Canon 800D, takes better images too, which means I haven't quite got the hang of a DSLR.

I use to be a competent amateur photographer back in the 1970's with my Pentax KM plus all the lenses/filters/tripod/air release etc. etc. but the 1970's was a long, long time ago!

:o}
 Numpties DSLR - movilogo
I have picked up GX800 today.

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/dslr-and-compact-system-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dc-gx800-mirrorless-camera-with-12-32-mm-f-3-5-5-6-lens-10158594-pdt.html

It has micro four third sensor and interchangeable lens - still (large) pocketable.
 Numpties DSLR - Dog
Bit late but:

www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compactsystemcameras/panasonic-lumix-dc-gx800-review
 Numpties DSLR - Zero
>> Nice camera Zero... but hell of a cost. They do seem to have managed to
>> achieve bridge camera performance and features in a very easy to carry package though.

The price is not as steep as it seems, with a combo of a Black Friday deal, and a cashback offer, the price has come in at about 530 quid. Which I agree is a lot of money for a pocket camera, but in general camera world is not a fortune.

Its biggest issue is that they have gone way overboard with every conceivable feature and trick you can think off, a lot you wouldn't even have thought about, and in the process buried the good useful stuff. There are over 300 settings and options and the quick guide is 69 pages, and the full manual 308 pages.

I did a quick test with RAW and JPG output, I was well impressed at how well the camera processes and compresses the output, very very little difference between the two, well beyond the abilities of my 4k computer screen to differentiate at full size.

The small but very clear and useable EVF (with diopter correction) is the icing on the cake.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 23 Nov 18 at 14:20
 Numpties DSLR - Fenlander
>>> about 530 quid. Which I agree is a lot of money for a pocket camera, but in general camera world is not a fortune.

Agreed. I have an airshow enthusiast friend who would think nothing of a £1500 lens... you must have such guys in the railway world.
 Numpties DSLR - Zero

>> Agreed. I have an airshow enthusiast friend who would think nothing of a £1500 lens...
>> you must have such guys in the railway world.

I was stood next to a guy trackside, with a £3.5k semi pro broadcast camera, £500mic, £700 tripod, and a £2k drone*.

"So where do you share or sell your output"? says I... "Just watch it home" says he.

He gave me a run down and demo of the drone tho, deeply impressive bit of kit.
 Numpties DSLR - Old Navy
>> He gave me a run down and demo of the drone tho, deeply impressive bit
>> of kit.
>>

A couple of cruises I was on earlier this year had professional drone companies taking video for advertisement purposes. One during a transit of the Kiel Canal, the other much bigger drone for entering and leaving Cadiz. Certainly impressive bits of kit, I understand why airline pilots are wary of the bigger ones!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 24 Nov 18 at 07:53
 Numpties DSLR - Kevin
>Its biggest issue is that they have gone way overboard with every conceivable feature and trick you can think of... and in the process buried the good useful stuff.

That looks like a much better version of the compact I was hoping to get when I bought my crappy Sony HX9V a few years ago.

Most Panasonics now allow you to choose a 'Custom' mode that you can program with your preferred settings. In my case it's raw, aperture priority, low film speed, half-stop bracketing and a few others for stills. You can also program one of the function buttons to take you straight to any menu level you use most so you can fine tune if needed.

Makes things easier than trawling through multi-level menus but still not perfect.
After my starting this thread, I bought an Olympus Stylus TG-4. I took it on my 2 week rafting and camping trip down the GC October 2015, where it survived unscathed. We camped on sandbanks every night, and it got very wet strapped to my chest going through whitewater day after day after day. I was very impressed with both the stills and video, but haven’t used it much since.
The language in the first few big rapids on video was truly appalling....
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 30 Nov 18 at 18:52
Latest Forum Posts