Non-motoring > Walking poles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 25

Walking poles - Tooslow
Why?

Is it so you can flail them around and be a menace to your fellow walkers? That's what all but a few do. There may be some benefit, if you know what you're doing, but most seem to regard them as a must have fashion accessory. Do they really help? No? then put the darn things in the bin please.

JH
 Walking poles - Bagpuss
Yes, I go hiking in the alps a lot and wondered the same thing. Following a football injury the other week though, I've actually been advised by a doctor to use walking poles when hiking to preserve my knees. Especially on steep downhill bits and when carrying a rucksack full of rainproof clothing, water and whatever else, using walking poles apparently takes a lot of stress off the knees.

Still not tried them, the biggest risk I see is buying them and then leaving them somewhere.
 Walking poles - Bellboy
can you not get your mam to put some elastic through the arms of your anorak so you cant leave them anywhere?
actually im quite looking forward to needing a walking stick
boy am i going to have some fun...........
 Walking poles - Bagpuss
>> can you not get your mam to put some elastic through the arms of your
>> anorak so you cant leave them anywhere?

LOL. My wife has suggested doing that with my gloves. I lose at least one pair per winter.
 Walking poles - BiggerBadderDave
"the biggest risk I see is buying them and then leaving them somewhere"

jammed sideways up the user's botty with a bit of luck
 Walking poles - Manatee
Never tried them, but I suppose the theory is that you can bring your arms to bear on the walking/climbing effort, and they could be useful for balance.

I always fancied a blackthorn thumbstick, but it might be the same sort of impulse that results in people taking up pipe smoking or wearing Harris tweed hats so I'm a bit wary.
 Walking poles - Ted

I've never been out without a traditional walking stick when hiking. I find it very useful, even though I sometimes just hook it in my belt.
For some years I was deputy volunteer co-ordinator of the deer park rangers in a National Trust property.
It was very useful for pushing discarded fag ends and sweet papers into the ground to let them rot there, rather than stuffing my pockets full.....lazy beggar !

A traditional hooked walking stick is good for pulling yourself up a slope by hooking it round a branch or root just out of reach. Or rescuing a rucksack dropped in the river !

Walking poles sound a bit strenuous to me..........if you're seen with them, you have to be seen to make an effort.

Not very keen on effort !

Ted
 Walking poles - CGNorwich
Use properly walking poles can ease the load on knee joints. Not really necessary on a 5 mile lowland stroll. German walkers can't seem to progress down a paved street without them. In my opinion in the hills a walking stick of some description in a virtual necessity. Best of all as I learned from the mountain guides in Madeira is a pole of approximately your own height.

The sooner you start using a stick when out walking the longer you won't need one.
 Walking poles - Dog
I used to live on the south cornish coastal path and would often see peeps with their poles,
I used to think they were nutters until a friend told me they use them on the moors,
I can quite see that they would exercise the upper body when walking.
 Walking poles - Cliff Pope
I was once given a lecture on walking safety by a fully-kitted professional. I was strolling up Ben Nevis wearing ordinary clothes and shoes and carrying an umbrella and shopping bag with my sandwiches.
He was wearing hi-vis thermal jacket, back-pack with emergency rations, and those irritating boots that have hooks instead of holes and take half an hour to put on.

And of course a stick, or pole as they now seem to be called. It seems to be a sort of badge of office, a bit like Black Rod or Dipstick in Waiting.
 Walking poles - Pat
>> Dipstick in Waiting. << :)

I like that, I'd almost been persuaded to get one for the downhill slopes and artritic knees, but no way now!!

Pat
 Walking poles - helicopter
SWMBO invested in a couple due to knee problems - we walk quite regularly on the South Downs and she has problems coming down slopes rather than going up them.

As for you Cliff - Shame - I thought more of you - I'm sorry to have to say this but walking on Ben Nevis in ordinary clothes without taking any waterproofs or emergency rations is just plain stupid.

I have experienced just how quickly a gentle stroll in mountains on a sunny day can change into a fight for footing in fog , rain , gales or snow within minutes.

Have you never watched helicopter rescue?
 Walking poles - Cliff Pope
>>
>> As for you Cliff - Shame - I thought more of you - I'm sorry
>> to have to say this but walking on Ben Nevis in ordinary clothes without taking
>> any waterproofs or emergency rations is just plain stupid.

>>

I know that. I was young. That's what people did before the Ministry of Fun nationalised careless happiness and substituted sensible risk assessments.
 Walking poles - Bromptonaut
Very useful as an adjustable walking stick to improve balance etc. What I cannot fathom is their use in pairs and the adoption of a cross country skiers gait,
 Walking poles - Dulwich Estate
I often see someone going off to the newsagents in the morning walking briskly with pair of these walking poles - Bonkers is my reaction.

I don't know where or how she holds the paper on the return trip of all.....mmm....say 300 metres.

We are very trendy down here in this salubrious suburb.
 Walking poles - Manatee
They're probably a good idea for general fitness if you don't mind people thinking you're bonkers.

I might get some. And the blackthorn thumbstick.
 Walking poles - legacylad
I began using a pair in July '97! It was an extended high altitude trip with lots of steep up/down, and I have used them ever since. Too much squash in my teens and twenties , sometimes two games a night, 5 nights a week, cannot have done my knees much good and for uphill plods in the Dales & Lakes I think they help immensely, especially downhill.
My prefered ones are 'pacer poles' with specially angled specific left/right handles. Because of them I continue to be an active member of the Long Distance Walkers Assoc.
 Walking poles - Armel Coussine
Ah. Not BBD and his family when the Polski Fiat is giving trouble then. More like a broken Zimmer frame for people who think they are still active.

Got it.
 Walking poles - Duncan
Learn all about Nordic Walking (with poles)

tinyurl.com/3xfpcw5
 Walking poles - Old Navy
Beware the grumpy geriatric armed with a stick!
 Walking poles - Tooslow
"Speak softly and carry a big stick". Truman?

JH
 Walking poles - Ian (Cape Town)
>> "Speak softly and carry a big stick". Truman?
>>
>> JH
>>

Theodore Roosevelt

The USS Roosevelt is known as the 'big stick' for this reason.
 Walking poles - Tooslow
Ian, rats! I was on a 50:50 and I went for the wrong one. I should have phoned a friend! :-)

JH
 Walking poles - Runfer D'Hills
I used to have a pair of hollow ski poles with corks in the top. You could get quite a lot of whisky mac in each one when in the Cairngorms or something more topical such as schapps or grappa when in the Alps. Not sure where I lost those......
 Walking poles - MD
Poland?
 Walking poles - Runfer D'Hills
Aye well, maybe,....... it was certainly somewhere in the sticks.
Latest Forum Posts