Non-motoring > HSL chairs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 9

HSL chairs - WillDeBeest
Funny one this, half prompted by the one on risers.

I don't want a self-lifter - legs are still well up to that job, thank you - but I have always fancied a big swivel-recline lounge chair (ideally with a footstool too) in which to install myself to listen to music and, of course, stay perfectly alert throughout.

I've always admired the Swedish Ekornes (now sold as Stressless) chair my parents bought 20+ years ago and which has lasted well, but it's a little too small to be comfortable for a person of satisfactory length. There may now be other models, of course; I've not looked. But there's an HSL showroom near me and I wandered in last weekend. As well as the oldie furniture, they sell a range of leather swivellers, some in a 'Grande' size with a higher, deeper seat. And one of those I rather liked, not least because it looks and feels like something that belongs at home rather than in a home.

List price of this chair-and-stool combo is about £900, for which I'd expect a decent, durable piece of furniture. HSL boasts of its own UK factory, although the swivels seem not to be made there. The leather seems nice but I'm no expert.

So, anyone here dealt with HSL, or had longer-term experience of their products?
 HSL chairs - Manatee
No I haven't dealt with them, but I did spend a bit of time searching for one with a relative, who had been very fond of his Ikea leather swiveler that had given up on him.

We ended up in Barbours in Dumfries who stocked the Ekornes, they aren't cheap, but they look good. In the end he bought something cheap from there, because it seemed comfortable on the day, and regretted it! He's now taken to a standard high seat armchair (well he is 84).

HSL does manufacture in Batley I think, but I'm pretty sure the swivellers will be imports and they look overpriced to me. For example

www.hslchairs.com/product/ayr-swivel-chair/?fabric_id=0 (HSL "Ayr", from £898)

looks very similar to

www.oriental-leather.com/real-leather/mars-in-chocolate.html (Oriental Leather Co "Mars", £450)

Barbours had some of this style and from what I recall they were nearer the lower price than the HSL one.

Granted your Brobdingnagian requirement might be a factor, but if you can run to it Ekornes do theirs in 3 sizes I think.
 HSL chairs - WillDeBeest
Thanks M. Yes they do - I found as much on their website after posting my question. Better still, some of the Ekornes chairs have an adjustable headrest, which might solve the eternal problem of supporting back and head at the same time. List prices are about double the HSL equivalent, but that's not necessarily a bad sign.

Got some time off for halfterm this week, so just for fun we could look for a dealer and try some out.
 HSL chairs - CGNorwich
Tried one of those recliners out when I was looking for new leather sofas last year. Think it was calle the Nordic. Very comfortable and extremely well made as indeed were the Stressless sofas but the style was not quite what We were after. Not cheap but decent furniture isn't.

Think they are Norwegian rather than Swedish
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 15 Feb 15 at 23:18
 HSL chairs - Ted

My pal up in Cumbria found two Stressless chairs with stools on EBay at £70 and £89. Both first class condition. I've been looking but haven't seen any that price.

I've got a swivel recliner with stool but it's getting uncomfortable and a bit tatty now. Time to swap will be coming soon.
 HSL chairs - Ambo
>> something that belongs at home rather than in a home.

A neat distinction. We have a pair of Stressless recliners and matching stools. The leather is quite thin and one arm sustained a crack about a centimetre long. A local restorer found that particular colour was not replaceable but he could deal with a repair - for several hundred pounds. (it remains.)

My main listening and reading chair is in another room and is French, the Trocadero model from Everstyl shown here:

www.everstyl.fr/modeles/fauteuil_relaxation/

There doesn't seem to be a UK agent now but you may find one on eBay. I can supply a free spare gas strut if you do.
 HSL chairs - Ambo
P.S. The French chair does not swivel.
 HSL chairs - NortonES2
Have seen the factory in mid-Norway. Next to a Fjord of course.
 HSL chairs - Manatee
If you felt like having a go with the HSL 'Grande' then here it is at £400 less. Looks identical to me.

www.leatherseatsonline.co.uk/products/windsor-grande-real-leather-luxury-swivel-recliner

I thought 'Windsor' as an alias for 'Ascot' possibly gave it away too;)
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 16 Feb 15 at 11:08
 HSL chairs - WillDeBeest
Yes, the dark one looks just like the one I sat in and liked. The light one also seems to have a dark base, which I prefer to the blond finish on the HSL one.

I suspect an Ekornes would be a more satisfying long-term solution. But with the showroom down the road - and an outstanding invitation for a cup of tea - I could always pop down there with a book and see if it's still comfortable over a couple of hours. Then negotiate hard.
Latest Forum Posts