Non-motoring > Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 10

Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen - Armel Coussine
That noisy 50s song kept recurring to me this evening for some reason. Can't imagine why.

It was a Danny Kaye song from a ghastly musical, the ever-reliable Google informs me.

Goodness, those Danes have a sort of savage side, don't they? Must embarrass the hell out of the majority.
>> Must embarrass the hell out of the majority.

Having the whole city centre overrun with Glock-toting cops, I mean.
 Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen - No FM2R
I *loved* Danny Kaye films....

"The vessel with the pestle is the brew that is true".
Very talented guy of course FMR. I always loved the ghastly films too...

But tell me, is the smaller person in the Copenhagen clip a boy or a girl? A boy-like girl I'm inclined to think.

Oh dear. Another dodgy post. Hopelessly old-fashioned, me.
 Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen - WillDeBeest
I wonder if films and songs like AC's example will be remembered beyond NoFM's generation (and mine), i.e. the children of the original audience. Similarly, I've shown my children Raiders of the Lost Ark and Father Ted, but I doubt they'll bother to do the same in 30 years' time.

Similarly I've wondered how long the works of Gilbert and Sullivan will survive. 40 years ago my dad (an amateur orchestral musician) was called on to play in a couple of productions a year, in different towns, and they'd be well attended. I don't think he'd get so many calls today, and will there be any at all in another 50 years?

Curious that an oeuvre that outlasted its original audience by generations should suddenly wither, but that's what seems to be happening.
 Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen - CGNorwich
Would have thought the First Lord's Song was obligatory for anyone entering a political career.
 Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen - Zero

>> Curious that an oeuvre that outlasted its original audience by generations should suddenly wither, but
>> that's what seems to be happening.

That is life. I mean who now (child or adult) would be amused by the court jester with a silly outfit, bells on his toes and a grotesque head on a stick?

Clowns anyone? A whole generation has evolved (and therefore for generations afterwards) that sees the clown as a slightly spooky and evil. (as of course they always were being nothing more than a medieval incarnation of the devil)

Punch and Judy? would you really think it appropriate to show your child that wife beating, child abuse, evil, villainy, larceny, disrespect for the law and cruelty to animals was an appropriate way of life?

A horses head on a pole with a wheel at the bottom anyone?
 Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen - CGNorwich
"Clowns anyone"

Well Mr Tumble goes down a storm with the under fives. Need to watch more CBeebies.

Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen - Cliff Pope

>>
>> A horses head on a pole with a wheel at the bottom anyone?
>>

A few years ago our elder daughter aged about 12 organised a sponsored walk in aid of an animal rescue charity. All the participants rode hobby horses. They walked about 10 miles. At one village people came out to watch and they got more contributions.
It was entirely her own idea.
 Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen - Ted
Well, go on then...someone's got to do it....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1YMv_qx5Cw

'cos AC don't know how to !
>> 'cos AC don't know how to !

Thank you Ted. You're quite right, I don't.

I confess that I Googled for the clip early on in this thread, and really enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

Goodness he was corny. And my old and wicked mind kept gnawing over that epicene boy or girl standing next to the notorious old Hollywood gay... Herself said I was being homophobic, and perhaps I was a bit, although I'm not (if you see what I mean), especially by the prevailing standards of my youth.
Latest Forum Posts