Non-motoring > Extreme pricing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 9

Extreme pricing - Crankcase
I know we talked about audio cabling and "interesting" pricing models before.

How about HDMI cabling?

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IL3TZSQ/

Any advance?
 Extreme pricing - CGNorwich
I like the third review "The Big Sprig"
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 10 Feb 15 at 14:07
 Extreme pricing - NortonES2
Russ Andrews sometimes has a sale. But at £29,623 a pair of 12' Kimber speaker cables, it might be worth waiting...

If you don't believe this price (and who could blame anyone!): tinyurl.com/mp6b886
Excellent. It even offers you a bananas option.
 Extreme pricing - rtj70
How about a directional Ethernet cable for audio use:

www.audioquest.com/ethernet/diamond

tinyurl.com/pdg7dcx

yours for $10,500 at the RRP! A directional Ethernet cable eh. And of course the data has to be decoded at the other end so we all know this cable won't improve sound. Amazon have it for only $5,494.75 but that does include free shipping.
 Extreme pricing - RattleandSmoke
I've said before but analogue cables to make a difference up to a point, and cheap and poor quality digital cables and can possible cause jitter if it drops signals but I am amazed stuff like directional ethernet cables are allowed to be sold. In the main digital either works or it doesn't. You either have a zero or a one.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 10 Feb 15 at 15:50
 Extreme pricing - rtj70
Yes for digital cables, poor quality makes a difference. But there's a limit to how much better one can get.
 Extreme pricing - Slidingpillar
In the days of SCART leads, £1.50 would buy a cheap lead that might make a washing line, but not an electrical one. A bit more than £10 would buy a decent quality, all pins connected lead with a brand name you've heard of, and £50 would buy the sort of lead that not even the BBC would waste money on. Local shed was most unhappy when I said that and didn't pay the same price as the Freeview box for a lead. And waved my BBC id...

Digital, as long as the pins connect there is an argument for a braided screen in longer leads, to keep noise out, which adds about 50p if that to the cost. As has been said, digital is 1s and 0s and provided you can tell them apart, no further enhancement will be noticed.
 Extreme pricing - Zero
At 16 metres its WELL (by a long long way) out of spec for using an HDMI cable. Normal cheap cable and plugs wont cut it if you want it to work reliably. That means expensive

50 - 90 quid expensive, not 14 grand expensive.
Indeed. At work we just put in a 96 metre HDMI lead. The total bill for the works was about a grand, but only about £150 was the lead, from memory.
Latest Forum Posts