Non-motoring > New PAYG mobile and number portability. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 5

New PAYG mobile and number portability. - bathtub tom
SWMBO wants a new mobile - old one didn't survive wash cycle and she hates the ancient thing I've found.

SIM free phones seem to attract a premium over new SIM models.

I'm thinking of using up the credit on her existing one and getting her a new SIM model on a different network to save a few quid. I think I can then transfer her old number onto the new.

Surely it's not that simple?
 New PAYG mobile and number portability. - Auristocrat
18 months ago we bought two sim free phones (Samsung Ativ S Windows phones), ported the phone numbers across from Vodafone payg to GiffGaff, and haven't looked back.
It is relatively easy. When porting the number from one network to another, you can lose service for up to 24 hours.
A lot cheaper than Vodafone.
As regards payg providers, the Which? recommended provider is GiffGaff (score 79%) which operates on the O2 network.
Other networks which scored well were Tesco Mobile (68%), Asda Mobile (67%) and O2 (63%).

GiffGaff also sell a small range of phones - giffgaff.com/phones
Last edited by: Auristocrat on Mon 9 Feb 15 at 17:52
 New PAYG mobile and number portability. - Zero
Just ported my Contract O2 number to Tesco Contract. Just ask your current supplier for a PAC code, give it to your new supplier and it gets transferred in about 3 working days.
 New PAYG mobile and number portability. - No FM2R
Phones within a contract are subsidised by that contract.

Phones SIM free, without a contract, are without a subsidy and seemingly more expensive.

Contracts without a subsidised phone are cheaper and/or shorter than a contract that comes with a phone.

New PAYG mobile and number portability. - smokie
Yep, my 2 years with Virgin mobile is coming to an end, it was costing me £29 pm for a Sony Xperia Z plus quite a lot of minutes and texts which I don't use and 1Gb internet which I am borderline on, and could easily use more.

So I came off having a phone from them and now have SIM only for £10 pm - 600 minutes, unlimited texts and data on 30 day rolling contract. When the time comes I shall probably buy a phone somewhere cheap

Did the same for SWMBO - she had a Galaxy S5 for Christmas and has a £5 pm 30 day contract which admirably fits her needs. So the total cost over 2 years would have been well over £700 with a contract phone but is only going to be about £580 ( din't recall the exact figures but that was about the size of it).
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 9 Feb 15 at 18:04
 New PAYG mobile and number portability. - Stuartli
I use GiffGaff - it has masses of Help information about retaining your current mobile number, unlocking various makes of phones etc. This is about keeping your present phone number (normally done very quickly overnight or by early next day):

giffgaff.com/support/sim-and-number/your-phone-number

Although GG is owned by O2, its PAYG charges are much lower and generally excellent value.
Latest Forum Posts