Non-motoring > Portocol Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 18

Portocol - Ambo
My daughter is to marry a Wing Commander. I was only a sergeant so this raises an awkward point of protocol; should I address him as Sir, Son, Pete, or what? W.C. does not seem quite right.
 Portocol - Cliff Pope
"Wing-co old boy" should do nicely.

Check he is a genuine one. I had a sort of relative who acted the part of a moustachioed ex-RAF type to a tee, even down to the blazer. He seemed false to me, and I immediately christened him "the bogus wing commander".
I invented a whole background for him - desk job in Cairo, accounts clerk, got into a spot of trouble over some missing invoices, retired fairly pronto, etc.
It turned out I was slightly right - he never actually flew anything. He certainly wasn't a WC.
But it was all great fun.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 5 Feb 15 at 15:36
 Portocol - sooty123
I'll assume you've met him before ? Call him Pete as (again) I assume you call him that now.

If you havn't met before Pete, as that's his name.
 Portocol - Kevin
Biggles?
 Portocol - Old Navy
Forget what you were, you are a civilian now, you can call him anything you like. As a civilian you outrank anyone in government employment as technically you employ them. A friends daughter is an army major, I use her Christian name.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 5 Feb 15 at 15:52
 Portocol - Zero
>> Forget what you were, you are a civilian now, you can call him anything you
>> like.

And you certainly do not need to salute him at the wedding.
 Portocol - Cliff Pope

>>
>> And you certainly do not need to salute him at the wedding.
>>

Just a simple ceremonial fly-past will do. Don't overdo the coloured smoke.
 Portocol - Ted

Try not to shout " Chocks away " when he puts the ring on her finger.
 Portocol - Duncan
You will be his father - in - law and he will be your son - in - law (statement of the b... obvious). You are the senior generation, you will call him Phil, or Philip. Why don't you ask him which he prefers? He could possibly call you Mr Ambo, but nowadays "first name" is far more likely.
 Portocol - Old Navy
Also remember as far as you are concerned he is only a Wing Commander when he is at work.
 Portocol - Haywain
Flatter him, call him 'Air Chief Marshal'.
 Portocol - Zero
>> Flatter him, call him 'Air Chief Marshal'.

And when he is a PITA, call him flight sgt.
 Portocol - Haywain
"And when he is a PITA, call him flight sgt."

And tweak his handlebar moustache to see if it's real or one of those stuck-on jobs!
 Portocol - MD
Ruddy 'elpful lot I fancy!
 Portocol - legacylad
Now if I were giving a speech tha knows, every guest would have a carefully wrapped present in Air Force blue. They would be asked to open it at some point during proceedings, then you could say '' ladies & gentlemen, chocs away''.
The present would, of course, be an aero.
 Portocol - Zero
If i ever get divorced and remarried, I want you as my wedding organiser
 Portocol - legacylad
It's stuff like that which got me in the position I am today....
 Portocol - Clk Sec
You should ask him what his promotion prospects are.
 Portocol - sooty123
>>
>> Try not to shout " Chocks away " when he puts the ring on her
>> finger.
>>

Not to be a pedant, but it's 'chocks out' not away, sorry couldn't resist ;-)
Latest Forum Posts