Non-motoring > Spend, you lot! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 7

Spend, you lot! - Roger.
www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/28/waitrose-scraps-free-tea-and-coffee-in-cafes
 Spend, you lot! - madf
I'm not one of Waitrose's "low class shoppers" that posh shoppers complain about.

(memories of a certain "class" sketch float to mind...)
 Spend, you lot! - Slidingpillar
Storm in a teacup...

I've always wanted an excuse to say it
 Spend, you lot! - legacylad
Only ever been in a Waitrose once. Attending a wedding in Sandbach Cheshire, where the hotel wanted £18 for a bottle of Sav Blanc, so scuttled down the road for half price wine.
My local supermarket offers free coffee to 'loyalty' card holders. It's full of school kids at 8am guzzling the awful stuff.
 Spend, you lot! - mikeyb
I'm not surprised they have introduced this. The cafe in my local is always packed, and I cant really see how it was sustainable to continue to give away your key product hoping people may spend something else.
 Spend, you lot! - NortonES2
I've never bothered. All I want to do is get the shopping thing over with and out, no matter how good the supermarket! Anyway, our own coffee is real stuff, more like Turkish other than the sugar.
 Spend, you lot! - Old Navy
Our local Costco do free coffee and muffins for the punters on weekday mornings. I don't do shops at weekends, they are cluttered up with people who have to work during the week. :)
 Spend, you lot! - CGNorwich
A few years ago I was on holiday in Samos. We had mad the mistake of talking to another English couple staying at the same hotel and for the rest of the holiday we had trouble shaking them off. They clearly didn't like all things "foreign' and I was at a loss to understand why they had come to Greece.

On the last day of our holiday we had some time to kill in the morning so we ventured out to the local street cafe where we say enjoying a coffee. Our "friends" then spotted us and drew up a couple of chairs and then proceeded to unpack their vacuum flask and sandwiches pointing to the cafe menu and telling us they weren't going to pay those prices!

As they used to say in the News of the World, I made my excuses and left.
Latest Forum Posts