Non-motoring > Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 13

Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - MD
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30854621

You know my view.
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - Old Navy
Difficult one, if you cancel their passports and citizenship if they go, they will stay here and cause problems.
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - legacylad
The general consensus in my local was a deep hole & quicklime, with departure very shortly after arrival.
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - Zero
So what does the team think we should have done with John Nammock, Malcolm McIntyre, John Lawlor, Colin Evans, Michael Douglas Wiseman, Kevin John Marchant, Andrew Gordon McKenzie, Derek John Barker, Simon Mann, Tim Spicer, numerous members of the Compagnie Internationale, former employees of Sandline International and many many more?
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - Old Navy
>> So what does the team think we should have done with .............

Has any of them attempted or supported terrorism in the UK ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 19 Jan 15 at 13:06
>> >> So what does the team think we should have done with .............
>>
>> Has any of them attempted or supported terrorism in the UK ?

no idea, depends on what side of the fence you sit on, but the point is they were classed as terrorist when they were abroad, and went o fight in wars of insurrection that they had no part in.

Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - Bromptonaut
>> no idea, depends on what side of the fence you sit on, but the point
>> is they were classed as terrorist when they were abroad, and went o fight in
>> wars of insurrection that they had no part in.

That would be the same war of insurrection that was previously known as courageous Syrian freedom fighters v evil dictator Assad?

For clarity, that's not a dig at Z but comment on way govt and media have portrayed the ongoing conflict in the Levant.

My point is that there's no one size fits all in this. Returnees should be questioned and treated according to the merits of their individual cases. Anythng that looks like singling them out vis a vis other UK citizens who've fought abroad still less like ill-treatment plays into the hands of the extremists.
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - Haywain
Maybe not such a good idea to have brought him up as a muslim in the first place. I can't imagine any of my offspring suddenly feeling the urge to become a jihadi.

>> I can't imagine any of my offspring suddenly feeling the urge to
>> become a jihadi.

Hmm not sure, the teenage years felt similar.
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - Cliff Pope
The phenomenon is perhaps a bit similar to young people feeling the urge to go and fight in the Spanish civil war in the 1930s.
Many of them went on to become patriotic citizens, or became famous authors.
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - NortonES2
They went to fight fascists. The jihadis are fascists.
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - CGNorwich
To many I suspect it was an adventure as its is with young Muslims today. Thing appear very black and white when you are young and idealist. For many in the Spanish civil war as indeed for many in Syria the actualtiy was far different from the version they had of events from a thousand miles away. The young will always be attracted to causes some laudible, some not so.

The mother in the story is correct, we would do well as a nation to assist the re-integration of the disillusioned back into society for our own good as well as theirs.
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - madf
We jailed fascists in WW2..I suspect we may end up doing teh same with jihadists.
 Returning Jihadists, a Mother's story - Cliff Pope
>> We jailed fascists in WW2..

We also jailed jewish refugees, anti-fascists, and British citizens supposedly enemy aliens.
Latest Forum Posts