Non-motoring > Great White Green Issues
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 14

Great White - Armel Coussine
... and tiger sharks have been cruising off Newcastle, NSW, beaches we used to swim off when staying with my youngest and her Aussie partner there. At least she's safe (much inclined to ignore danger warnings when she sees the ocean) because she''s here, but the partner is in Oz. I hope the sharks don't eat anyone we know.
 Great White - CGNorwich
Fear of being eaten by a shark is one of those risks where the perception is totally out of line with the actuality. Apparently there have only ever been 569 confirmed unprovoked deaths by shark attack worldwide since 1580

None of the these were in the Norfolk Broads.
 Great White - No FM2R
Terrifying creatures though, sharks.

I was once free diving near Abrolhos, Brazil (go there if you ever get the chance). And at one point when I swam under the boat from one side to the other I came face to face with two sharks scavenging for anything that might be dropped from the boat.

I swam very fast and got out of the water very fast. Much to the hysterical amusement of a couple of Brazilians falling around over the sight of a gringo fleeing from two "small" sharks.

"Small" as in only 10 - 12 ft long.
 Great White - Armel Coussine
>> Apparently there have only ever been 569 confirmed unprovoked deaths by shark attack worldwide since 1580

More than one a year. And how many unknown, unconfirmed deaths in the same period?

FMR is right, they are very frightening beasts apparently immune to pain. Large barracuda are also very scary fish.

My youngest tells me that in Western Australia she once went swimming in a place where the swimmers had to stay inside shark-proof cages.

'Did the sharks nose hopefully about outside?' I asked. She laughed and said she didn't see any on that occasion. They are horrible animals but perhaps quite intelligent.
 Great White - John Boy
They are horrible animals but perhaps quite intelligent.
>>
"Definitely" according to this page:

www.sharks-world.com/facts_about_sharks/
 Great White - Cliff Pope

>>
>> None of the these were in the Norfolk Broads.
>>

But there are large pike that will take a duckling, or an unwary toe.
Enough to give one the willies.
:)
 Great White - Roger.
>>
>> >>
>> >> None of the these were in the Norfolk Broads.
>> >>
>>
>> But there are large pike that will take a duckling, or an unwary toe.
>> Enough to give one the willies.
>> :)
Or lose a willy - no skinny dipping then :-)
 Great White - Old Navy
Having lived in parts of the world that have sea life that will eat you I have come to an agreement with sharks. I stay out of their water and they stay off my land.
 Great White - Zero
>> Having lived in parts of the world that have sea life that will eat you
>> I have come to an agreement with sharks. I stay out of their water and
>> they stay off my land.

The salt water crocodiles however, are not so accommodating.
 Great White - Old Navy
I did not live in Queensland or NT. :)
 Great White - Zero
On the other hand there is little sea life in Scotland that will eat you. Nessie is dead I guess, but was probably a veggie.
 Great White - Bromptonaut
>> On the other hand there is little sea life in Scotland that will eat you.
>> Nessie is dead I guess, but was probably a veggie.

Them Basking Sharks won't eat you, they prefer plankton, but they're too big to mess with!!
 Great White - bathtub tom
>> I stay out of their water

Even in your little tin boat?
 Great White - Old Navy
I have been in a submarine which was nuged by a whale, it took the paint off one side. If it was feeling amorous I hope it didn't get close to the propellers. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 18 Jan 15 at 20:40
 Great White - Bromptonaut
>> I have been in a submarine which was nuged by a whale, it took the
>> paint off one side.

The inimitable Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell's short sighted whale has been depicted trying to sh*g a sub.
Latest Forum Posts