Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 18

Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - CGNorwich
Could be serious.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30863024
 Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - Zero
>> Could be serious.

Probably not tho.
 Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - Stuartli
It has happened before so, hopefully, nothing serious and that safety has correctly been the main priority.
 Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - Stuartli
Update: "Kent Police said the smoke was caused by a lorry fire at the French end of the tunnel and no-one was believed to be hurt."
 Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - Bromptonaut
>> Update: "Kent Police said the smoke was caused by a lorry fire at the French
>> end of the tunnel and no-one was believed to be hurt."

At least there seem to be no casualties then. It the fire has caused any infrastructure damage it's potentially a problem for weeks.
Looks as though all Eurostar services are cancelled for the rest of today. Likley to same for Le Shuttle.

Ferries were still catching up from weather problems earlier in week and DFDS are currently one ship only on their Calais sailings.
Latest reports suggest it was a smouldering rather than blazing load that caused problem. Signs are there's little or no damage to infrastructure and that while Eurostar will no restart until tomorrow vehicle shuttles might run again from late tonight.

Usual moaning Minnies amongst those evacuated from trains judging by 'vox pops' chosen for broadcast on 17:00 Radio 4 news.
Now open again but with part of one tunnel closed, presumably northbound from Coquelles portal to the French side cross over cavern. All traffic using the s/b tunnel on a single line running basis.

Capacity reduced with car/freight service cut and Eurostar taking delays of up to an hour.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 18 Jan 15 at 10:09
 Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - Ambo
A mite off topic, but lorries ride on open wagons in the tunnel. Are they tied down during transit?
>> A mite off topic, but lorries ride on open wagons in the tunnel. Are they
>> tied down during transit?

Not open, for drive on and off at either end, its lattice sided wagons and no not tied down -not likely to get rough down there.

There are open wagons used sometimes, Modalohr piggyback wagons, used for long distance rail/lorry transport. not common tho. Don't think they are tied down either.
 Further problems - bathtub tom
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11353348/Eurostar-delays-as-Channel-Tunnel-reopens-after-fire.html

I came through St Pancras this afternoon and saw queues around the Eurostar terminal. Now I know why.

>> Not open, for drive on and off at either end, its lattice sided wagons and
>> no not tied down -not likely to get rough down there.

The risk is fore/aft movement if vehicle's brake not fully applied. There is an Rail Accident report somewhere concerning a coach that moved back and forth on one of the passenger vehicle shuttles in such circs.

I was told off by steward for standing in front of my car applying headlamp deflectors while train was in motion. He said emergency braking could cause a car to move forward with it's wheels locked.
 Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - Skip
Anyone else think that incident was a bit more serious than Eurotunnel are saying given that one section of the tunnel is still closed ?

Mid Kent has been pretty much brought to a standstill this week by operation stack, I have never known it this bad before when it's been implemented.

It's not being helped that it is refit season for the ferries so they are not running at full capacity either.
 Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - Runfer D'Hills
My wife is currently doing something to some pork chops and there is smoke appearing under the kitchen door. I don't feel I should interfere as she sounds a bit preoccupied.
 Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - Skip
>> My wife is currently doing something to some pork chops and there is smoke appearing
>> under the kitchen door. I don't feel I should interfere as she sounds a bit
>> preoccupied.
>>

Does she use the smoke detectors as a timer ?
>> My wife is currently doing something to some pork chops and there is smoke appearing
>> under the kitchen door. I don't feel I should interfere as she sounds a bit
>> preoccupied.

if the smoke alarm in the hall goes off, open the front door. That should stop it.
 Smoke detected in Channel Tunnel - rtj70
Does make you wonder if there is more damage than reported. And as you say less ferries aren't helping the overall situation.

Do I recall correctly that the original plan if there was a fire on a transporter was to keep going? And they only fitted a fire suppression system after the last big incident. Might be imagining incorrectly. But there would be some logic to keep going as once a fire takes hold on a static carriage, it will only get worse.

I'd guess most lorries from the French ports are full of diesel because it's cheaper.
>> Does make you wonder if there is more damage than reported.

>> Do I recall correctly that the original plan if there was a fire on a
>> transporter was to keep going? And they only fitted a fire suppression system after the
>> last big incident.

Rumour mill has it the fire suppression system went off and the resulting water damage in the tunnel is causing power supply issues.
www.raib.gov.uk/publications/current_investigations_register/150117_Channel_Tunnel.cfm
Latest Forum Posts