Non-motoring > Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 10

Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears - Chris S
Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears

I recently bought a second-hand Raleigh with 3-speed Sturmey Archer gears.

Unfortunately it seems to be stuck in top gear as the rear wheel always turns around more times than the crank no matter what gear I select.

The chain that goes in to the hub moves in an out freely, there is a slight amount of slack in it when the gear lever is at 1 and it is taught when it's at 2 or 3. Is this correct?

If the selection mechanism is broken then is it possible to adjust it so the bike is always in 2nd (1:1) gear? It would make it a lot more easier to ride. Thanks.
 Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears - Bellboy
i always took mine to the old man down the road if it was broke but he will be long dead now
maybe its just seized internally and needs a good dollop of oil to unseize it?
 Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears - VxFan
This any good?

www.hadland.me.uk/samaintind.htm

Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears - Dog
I've got an old Dutch 'Sparta' bike with a wonky 3 speed which I'll get around to fiddling about with one of these days have a look at this site ~

www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html#sprinter5
 Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears - Bromptonaut
The Surmey AW three speeds are pretty robust beasts. My first action would be to ensure the toggle chain was firmly screwed into the hub. Then check the adjustment; trigger in second and red ber on toggle chain aligned with spindle end. Next step would be to add oil. Most have an obvious lube point in the shell of the hub, it can be added to the later sealed for life versions by dripping it past he toggle chian.

Another vote here for Sheldon if you need a fuller explanation. Parts widely avalable retail or from 'old bike trader' You could also try posting the question on a cyclist forum such as 'Cyclechat'.
 Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears - FotheringtonTomas
>> ensure the toggle chain was firmly screwed into the hub

It should not be "screwed firmly in".

>> check the adjustment

Between 2nd. and 3rn. should be a "neutral" where drive is disconnected.

>> add oil
 Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears - Focusless
>> The chain that goes in to the hub moves in an out freely, there is
>> a slight amount of slack in it when the gear lever is at 1 and
>> it is taught when it's at 2 or 3. Is this correct?

It's a long time since I've ridden a bike with SA gears, but IIRC to select 3rd (ie. 'top') you pushed the little lever away from you (with your thumb) and the wire/chain went slack. You pulled it to select 2nd/1st and it went tight.

Might have changed of course.
 Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears - Bromptonaut
I had not spotted the OP's description of the toggle chain but Focus is absolutely correct. Internal springs hold the hub in third so some slack is to be expected with the trigger in that position. In second and then first the toggle chain is progressivley pulled out 'remeshing' the gears to give the lower ratios.

So something definitely odd there!!
>> Internal springs hold the hub in third so some slack is to be expected
>> with the trigger in that position.

I think you're probably right - the slack may be with 3rd gear.

The Sheldon article seems to have everything in it - I'll have another look at the weekend.

PS If you saw my earlier post you'll know I'm just learning to ride a bike now - a street warden saw me wobbling about on my bike on Sunday and thought I was drunk!
Last edited by: Chris S on Mon 5 Jul 10 at 15:35
 Sturmey Archer Bicycle Gears - crocks
I agree with the above posts but just want to check something from the OP.

>>Unfortunately it seems to be stuck in top gear as the rear wheel always turns around >>more times than the crank no matter what gear I select.

That will be the case because of the chainwheel to sprocket ratio. You need to look at the movement of the sprocket with respect to the wheel. As you say 2nd is usually direct, so no relative movement between sprocket and wheel.
>> That will be the case because of the chainwheel to sprocket ratio. You need to
>> look at the movement of the sprocket with respect to the wheel. As you say
>> 2nd is usually direct, so no relative movement between sprocket and wheel.
>>
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.
Latest Forum Posts