Non-motoring > How to build a..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 15

How to build a..... - R.P.
Nuclear Submarine and tonight a Jumbo Jet Engine.

Shows that state of the art design and engineering is still going strong in the UK, very good programmes....
 How to build a..... - mikeyb
Its in the sky plus box - looking forward to that one as I work in the aerospace industry and one of the rolls royce plants is just across the road from my office
 How to build a..... - Bellboy
proper tv that was
That remote sensing Ops Room is something else, very impressed.
 How to build a..... - bathtub tom
How long before they do it for cars?
 How to build a..... - RattleandSmoke
Just seen the Rolls Royce one, it makes me feel quite thick as I could never work any where like that requiring such tight tolerences.

Some of the engieneering involved is just staggering.
 How to build a..... - rtj70
Just finished watching via iPlayer. Shows we can design and build cutting edge things in the UK. I know someone who until a few years ago ran the special projects team at RR in one of their locations and worked on the lift fan for the new 'jump jet'.

I mentioned once about RR growing the 'blades' as single crystals but he glossed over and moved on. I take it that is still cutting edge despite being how they do this for a lot of engines.

I must remember to watch next week. I did see the submarine one and that was fascinating too.
 How to build a..... - Netsur
Fascinating programme, although a scientist in a former life, I would have preferred more technical detail. However the film of the engines being tested to destruction was amazing. In fact the water test was more impressive than the blow out.
>> How long before they do it for cars?

Not long, Most luxury barges have telemetry capability, seems that BMW are tinkering with being able to do it on their bikes as well......

How to build a..... - MD
What 'side' was that on?
 How to build a..... - Number_Cruncher
It was on the Beeb, and the shows both look to be available on the iplayer
BBC 2 9.00pm Sunday - next week's programme is about the defence research industry.
 How to build a..... - Bellboy
port
or
er down?
Limited offer - I can send a non-DRM version of the show on disk (as MP4) downloaded from the Beeb. Proof of TV licence required ;-)

I obviously only downloaded it from iPlayer - no hacking on my part!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Jul 10 at 22:27
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10568291.stm

Early taster for tonight's episode....
You'd think they'd had to buy new blades for the incorrectly specified helicopters in the programme though. A lot of talk of blades etc. Well the blades they took off are the ones they are refitting.

This episode is not so good.
Latest Forum Posts