Non-motoring > Attempted Scam? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 7

Attempted Scam? - zippy
I was out doing some last minute shopping and stopped off for a coffee and panini for lunch with the kids.

As I didn't have the change I paid by card.

The amount should have been £14.50 but was £145,123.

Now I spotted this and got it corrected and thought no more of it as the cashier gave me a cancellation slip.

Whilst tucking in, I notice the manager taking the card machine away which prompt me to look at the wrong slip.

The last 4 digits were my PIN number!

Called the card co and they advised a quick trip to a cashpoint to change the pin.
 Attempted Scam? - Fullchat
What 5123 ????
 Attempted Scam? - Cockle
>> What 5123 ????
>>

If it was then sounds more like a keying error by the assistant failing to put in the .50 followed by 'enter' before handing you the terminal for you to check the amount and enter your pin and you then just entered your pin. What was the amount when you checked then?

If the retailer and the customer both follow the process then there shouldn't be an incorrect amount tendered for authorisation.

If you got an OK authorisation for a transaction of £145,123 then I wish I had your credit rating :-)
Last edited by: Cockle on Sun 21 Dec 14 at 17:39
 Attempted Scam? - Zero

>> Called the card co and they advised a quick trip to a cashpoint to change
>> the pin.

The card company are well off the mark, they should have cancelled your card.
 Attempted Scam? - MD
Is there more to this perhaps?
 Attempted Scam? - BobbyG
Could be - I have used handheld PINS where when it has been passed to me the message on the screen says "check amount" and hit enter if correct. Makes sense to confirm the amount before entering your PIN.
However if instead you just put your PIN in then it will extend the value of the bill.
 Attempted Scam? - zippy
Just back from carols.

5123 is just an example.

It was the fact that the manager came and took the machine away that made me do a double take. Do they print duplicate receipts?q

Surely with a changed pin the card is safe.

What does the collective wisdom of the forum think, should I cancel the card? Will be a real pain this time of year!
 Attempted Scam? - rtj70
I'd think the risk has now gone. The danger was your account could have been cleared out before you changed the PIN.

It sounds to me that the transaction didn't complete because you entered your PIN when the machine was still ready for the amount to be entered and confirmed.

If you banked with Barclays you could pick up a new card in branch. For most banks, cancelling a card a few days before Christmas could cause you some inconvenience I guess.
Latest Forum Posts