Non-motoring > Its Christmas Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 77

Its Christmas - Skip
Ok, so what are you all doing for Christmas this year ? I'm working till midday on Xmas Eve and we are going out for a Curry in the evening. Xmas Day we are both going to visit our respective parents in the morning (not for very long in my case !) then will have a late lunch - if the turkey has defrosted ! Boxing Day is lunch at the local Beefeater with the in laws which I am so looking forward too, unless i can think of an excuse to get out of it. Food poisoning from an under cooked turkey possibly :-)
 Its Christmas - Fursty Ferret
I'll be in the simulator until 7.30pm on Christmas Eve, and then I've got seven days off thanks to some lucky trip swaps.

I'll be one of those cars sitting stationary on the M4 on Christmas Eve, uh, evening.
 Its Christmas - idle_chatterer
Cycle ride with the kids (we got them new bikes) and a barbecue on Christmas Day, forecast to be a mild 25C (it hit 40C today - supposedly, not sure I saw more than 35C when out and about in the car). Boxing Day: maybe the test (Australia/India at the MCG) although I prefer Day 2 'family day' with the kids, alternatively to the beach where there's a sand sculpture competition.
 Its Christmas - Robin O'Reliant
Off Christmas day and Boxing day, then opening up and running my local shop for a few hours on Saturday as the owner is away.
 Its Christmas - Mike Hannon
Nothing. Ho ho ho.
 Its Christmas - BiggerBadderDave
24th evening - Tradition starts there in Poland, 12 different dishes of cabbage or fish. No conversation, no tv, no music, no meat, no alcohol, no games, no fun. A few hours of that then present opening.

25th afternoon - Repeat again but with meat. High likely hanging myself by 8pm unless wife's sister wears see-thru tops and short skirts.

Edit - it take place at their house, not mine.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Sun 21 Dec 14 at 13:20
 Its Christmas - sooty123
>> 24th evening - Tradition starts there in Poland, 12 different dishes of cabbage or fish.
>> No conversation, no tv, no music, no meat, no alcohol, no games, no fun. A
>> few hours of that then present opening.

Sounds like fun...
 Its Christmas - Skip
>> >> 24th evening - Tradition starts there in Poland, 12 different dishes of cabbage or
>> fish.
>> >> No conversation, no tv, no music, no meat, no alcohol, no games, no fun.
>> A
>> >> few hours of that then present opening.

OMG - I don't feel so bad about going to lunch with the in laws now !!!
 Its Christmas - MD
Poland, No Booze? Yeah right............
 Its Christmas - Kevin
>24th evening - Tradition starts there in Poland, 12 different dishes of cabbage or fish.

Brussel sprouts wrapped in shiny foil? Ferrero Rubbish?
 Its Christmas - PeterS
No more work for me until the 5th, though if I'm honest last week wasn't that productive given the number of pre Christmas parties...

Christmas Day will be a quietish one, just the two of us and my brother. Champagne breakfast mid morning (if we wait that long...) and then a long, late, boozy traditional lunch late afternoon. Joined by a further 6 on Boxing Day for roast beef. A days respite before a drive to Wokingham and lunch with another brother and his family. One more day off before a flight to Scotland where we'll spend New Year.

By the time we return my parents will be back from Australia where they've been for the last 5 weeks, so that weekend will involve lunch with them as well... Lamb I think :-)

A week booked off at the end of January to recover ;-)
 Its Christmas - legacylad
An acquaintance of mine is driving up to Scotland on the morning of the 24th, leaving his car (with a note on the dash saying where he is) and hiking in to a bothy. Three nights there, walking during the day, then packing himself and his rubbish out on the 27th. I love backpacking, and sometimes 'my own company ( I backpacked the SW Coast Path in its entirety on my own, but did meet folks along the way ) but even I find that a bit extreme. Each to his own.
 Its Christmas - Fullchat
Hmmm. The Naked Rambler ? :)
 Its Christmas - Skip
>> Hmmm. The Naked Rambler ? :)
>>

Bit chilly for that I would have thought !
I think he is inside at the moment. Was regularly seen around the Pennine Way areas. Wonder if he is having turkey with his porridge?
 Its Christmas - Fullchat
Watched a documentary on him and thought 'live and let live' until he got a bit narked when one of the crew suggested that he may want to reconsider walking passed a junior school at kicking out time. He carried on.
Sat on his Mothers knee in the raw. Think the lift goes past the top floor.
 Its Christmas - Zero
>> Watched a documentary on him and thought 'live and let live'

so did I for a while, but then it became clear he is a compete nutter, militant with it. Should be inside.

Talking of nutters and inside. Saw a documentary series on Broadmoor. I wondered why they still tested the public warning escape alarm in the area till I saw that. There are some in there that makes Mad Frankie Fraser look like a benign Father Christmas.
 Its Christmas - Cockle
Bit traditional for me and mine.

Finish at 5pm as usual Xmas Eve, nice roast gammon dinner then Midnight Mass at the wife's mother parish church, lovely 12th/13th century place, with a, non-traditional, gay vicar; I really love the ironic juxta position of the two plus he does a really good Communion and excellent sermons.
Xmas Day starts with our now traditional breakfast of croissants and Bucks Fizz followed by a bit of present opening then off to eldest son's girlfriend's mother's for Xmas dinner.....
Boxing Day entertaining my mother and my brother and his family. Catering for 9 in total.
27th returning the hospitaliy of Xmas Day at my place, catering for 9 again.
28th pub followed by football.....
For only the 3rd time in 40 years I've got most of the Xmas period off so intend to enjoy, only working on the 31st. :-)

Really looking forward to the 2nd January, load of us 'old lags' I've worked with at various times over the last 40+ years have organised a reunion at a local Camra award winning pub now run by one of our number; I expect many tales to be told and old japes remembered along with copious amounts of ale being consumed, at one time we used to have a Friday lunchtime 'Gallon Club'........ 8 pints to a gallon, I'll say no more.....

P.S. I won't be driving.....
Last edited by: Cockle on Sun 21 Dec 14 at 17:12
 Its Christmas - Zero
Put the tree up on Thursday. It weighs about 20 kilos, lives in a box thats 6 feet long, has 70 individual components and takes 90 minutes to assemble. I curse it every year, then stand with awe and wonder at how good it looks when finished.

Put the outside chav lights up this morning, nothing OTT but festive. The guy down the road has assembled a fantastic display of lights -ice blue water pouring off the roof into a white pool covering half the front garden with lit penguins and polar bears round the edge. Looks crap in the daytime but fantastic at night.

Filming a train on Christmas eve down in Kent, Christmas day its my mother round (christmas dinner is currently in the freezer - turkey crown) and boxing day its off the see my SIL and her kids in Clapham.
 Its Christmas - BobbyG
Finish up on Christmas Eve - missus is on early shift on Xmas day so will wait till she is back in to do presents etc. Might go into the work for an hour or two to help out with anything needing done.

If it is dry I might even go out on my bike for an hour just to build up an appetite.

Dinner usually starts at 5 and finishes about 10 ish!! Copious amounts of red wine and port will be consumed and then boxing day is all about lazing about.

Zeddo, if you are in Clapham on Boxing Day we are walking over the tops from Settle . Might see you in the New Inn , or Bunk House, for a pint or four.
 Its Christmas - Zero
>> Zeddo, if you are in Clapham on Boxing Day we are walking over the tops
>> from Settle . Might see you in the New Inn , or Bunk House, for
>> a pint or four.

I'll be up the junction.
Bit lacking in Swaledales there. Baa humbug.
 Its Christmas - MD
>> at one time we used to have a Friday lunchtime 'Gallon Club'........ 8 pints to a gallon, I'll say no more.....
>>
I for one, didn't need the explanation Cockle me old Son.

Shame on you for stopping short :0)
 Its Christmas - bathtub tom
Christmas eve will see me (queueing no doubt) on the M25 as I head for daughter's down Zeddo way.

Boxing day I'll be heading further round the M25 for other daughter's place.

Couple of days later I'll almost complete my anti-clockwise M25 circuit as I head home.

I hate the M25!
 Its Christmas - Cockle
>> >> at one time we used to have a Friday lunchtime 'Gallon Club'........ 8 pints
>> to a gallon, I'll say no more.....
>> >>
>> I for one, didn't need the explanation Cockle me old Son.
>>
>> Shame on you for stopping short :0)
>>

The explanation was for the youngsters amongst us, MD ;-)

I had to explain it to both of my sons..... neither of whom would believe that I was a fully paid up member :-)

We used to go the extra bit further on high days and holy days but most of the time we tried to keep a clear head for 'work' in the afternoon.....
Days long gone now.....
>>most of the time we tried to keep a clear head for 'work' in the afternoon.....

We never bothered to do anything on a Friday afternoon that we'd have to put right on Monday.
 Its Christmas - Cockle
>> >>most of the time we tried to keep a clear head for 'work' in the
>> afternoon.....
>>
>> We never bothered to do anything on a Friday afternoon that we'd have to put
>> right on Monday.
>>

The wiser ones amongst us didn't, bt.

The biggest surprise to me with this upcoming reunion is the number of us that are still about and relatively fit and healthy, if you believe the current Health Stasi we should all have been pushing up daisies a fair while ago and we should be holding the reunion, appropriately, in a phone box.
 Its Christmas - Runfer D'Hills
Well, we fortunately get the best of both worlds. I'm Scottish and my wife is English. Surprisingly nice lass despite that.

I come from a family where, not untypically in Scotland, Christmas was no big deal. It was more about Church and carols than excess, but New Year was the big party. Serious levels of hedonism on the 31st into the 1st followed by family meals and so on during New Years Day.

My wife's family however, are the opposite, with Christmas being the focus of the holiday and with more or less no Church or carol distractions.

So, Christmas is as always at the in laws and as the token Scot, New Year is as always, at ours.
 Its Christmas - Crankcase
Both working till close of play Christmas Eve, then next day will attempt to cook a chicken for four people, the other two will go home at about 4pm and then that's about it really. Nothing else is planned, or hopefully, will happen. Can't be doing with alteration of comfort zones at my time of life.

Its Christmas - MD
Lovely memories though eh! Hehe, one more won't 'urt.........
 Its Christmas - mikeyb
I've finished for the year, so a few days of relaxing before the event. Went out with some friends last night who advised us that they were popping to the pub on xmas day around 12 so have decided to join then.

Not yet sure what lunch will be - I quite like pork, and at least one of the kids will moan whatever it is. Had the good news today that the out laws have decided that they are to stressed to spend any time with their family over Christmas so its just the BIL's family and grandparents on boxing day, then we are taking the kids to butlins until new year.

NYE - nothing happening here. Mrs B offered to work the night shift (double bubble), and with young children its often a non event for us anyway
 Its Christmas - sooty123
Finished on friday until next year, so a nice bit of holiday. Fairly quiet Christmas for us, just a couple of low key family dos.
Loved this on Friday: www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02fby59

There's (hopefully) one each day until Christmas.
 Its Christmas - Ted

On call Boxing Day and NYD. Nothing usually happens but I get a stand by fee plus dosh if I do get a callout.

Don't mind going out...the city's nice and quiet on bank holliers.
 Its Christmas - Alastairw
Working until lunchtime on 24th, then off until 5 January, so its a good break this year.

The big day will be at the ex wife's with her and the kids, and thankfully nobody else this time. Boxing Day stirring walk to burn off calories then Roast Beef and trimmings at mine for me and the kids.

Whole family to my mothers on 28th for traditional buffet lunch and present exchange for nieces and nephew, then for the first time in twenty years I'm going to a party on New Years Eve.
 Its Christmas - Ted

First unwelcome gift of the year arrived in the post yesterday.....a Round Robin !

These should be banned by law. It was from wife's bridesmaid...bragging about how she still runs marathons at 66 and how fabulous her two boys are in spite of them both behaving like pigs when we visited the farm in Northumberland where she lives and the older one, at 40, still being a student doing another PhD...never had a paying job in his life.

One from my older cousin, the Christmas after I met her for the first time in over 50 yrs really put both our backs up. Married for the second time to someone we'd never met..( we never met the first ! ) We got a full story of how he'd spent the Summer changing all the window locks at home and how his son ( who ? ) had changed his car....to some boring, poverty spec lump of rubbish, probably. they didn't brag about the make.

When we did meet him at my other cousin's house, we all agreed that he was a pompous, patronising prat who needed a good kick up the flap.

But then, for a hobby they both get togged up in white and rolled balls round someones lawn every weekend ! She keeps angling for a weekend here but we don't respond to that one !

A personal letter, however, is quite nice to get, but you know these Robin things are churned out on the printer and stuck in everyone's card. Don't expect one from me !
 Its Christmas - Armel Coussine
>> But then, for a hobby they both get togged up in white and rolled balls round someones lawn every weekend !

You can play croquet without getting togged up or being pompous Ted. It isn't a bad game actually, especially on a bumpy lawn with a decent kilter on it.

Your inlaws do sound a bit wearing. Happy thingy of course and prosperous whassername nevertheless.
 Its Christmas - henry k
Very very quiet Christmas this year.
At present I am opting out of almost everything as I am not risking my health and SWMBO cannot do it.
So no tree or decorations as I am unable to get things from a deep cupboard or loft and.....
I rejected offers of help as that too will stress SWMBO.
On Christmas Day the four of us are on a two hour trip to her cousin at Cambridge who is kindly organising all catering etc and then a two hour trip home. ( I am OK driving plus having a doctor on board)
Boxing Day, a late start then few hours to open presents before daughter does a long NHS night shift.
Next year, all being well, things should be normal so our usual quiet celebration.
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
Henry,

I understand that offers of help would stress your wife. Its hassle, stress, chaos, chaos and loss of control etc. etc.

But will she be sad if she feels a loss of Christmas?

Could volunteer help just access the deep cupboard or loft, leave the decorations somewhere accessible and disappear without intruding on your wife?

I am not there, but I am quite sure I can arrange a member of family or two to show up if you do want help. No strings, and no offense if not. But if there is some help that you need, please ask. And do feel comfortable to ask. We all need help sometimes.

Happy Christmas and good luck.

Mark.
 Its Christmas - henry k
Perhaps I have painted a distorted picture ?

Mark Thanks for your very kind thoughts and suggestions.
Christmas is always a stress for SWMBO . I think it stems from MIL influence / attitude but she has long gone.
SWMBO has never been much fussed about our otherwise simple decorations.
Thus it is my role to always assemble/dismantle the tree / lights etc.

We have never have had manic Christmas. There are just the four of us and we have a very relaxed time. Christmas Eve our two do the pub visits with lots of their friends and I Taxi them / friends home. ( They do not get pie eyed and are only a couple of miles from home.)

SWMBO always collects presents for our two during the year and gets the greatest deal of pleasure wrapping the presents and seeing their surprise as we always manage to get unusual items. A few Christmas top ups have not happened this year but no big deal.
That important activity will be as normal except unwrapping about noon / 1300 on Boxing Day.
All small items so easy to deal with.

We all have a fantastic relationship with the Cambridge family so that will be a really good trip.
He is a great cook and we have a great laugh.
I therefore avoid cobbling up the meal and SWMBO worrying about it. A win win situation as I am a poor cook.

Overall I have to avoid stress both mental and physical until I am sorted sometime early next year. I think I am OK with the mental bit and I am soon aware of the physical side.
I hope the above is a better looking update on the overall situation.

A Happy Christmas to you too.
 Its Christmas - Pat
Work now goes on and on Christmas Eve and everyone has been warned not to expect to finish before 4pm as there are so many last minute deliveries to go out. The traffic will be a pain so what time Ian gets home will be in the lap of the Gods.

I'm trying to do a Christmas meal for us of roast beef in the evening mainly so that we have some cold for Boxing Day which is the only day we'll be at home again this year.

I hate cooking, and am not very good at it, but I do miss cooking Christmas lunch.

Christmas day we are over at Arnesby with orders to be there by 9am! Daughter in Law is an excellent cook so lunch will be good. Home early because next door have warned us they are having fireworks around 6pm and they know we'll want to be with the cats, who don't like them at all.

Boxing Day for us to be on our own, in our home!

Saturday an early start up to Scarborough to see Ian's family. His Mum has MS and doesn't travel well at all now. Dinner at his sisters before dropping his parents off back at their bungalow which still has building work/modifications going on.

We've tactfully booked into The Ganton Greyhound for the night so we can escape for an early start homeward bound on Sunday morning before yet another 1.30am alarm call for work on Monday.

New Year? It doesn't happen in this house. The early start always means that bed calls!

Pat
 Its Christmas - Cliff Pope

>> We all have a fantastic relationship with the Cambridge family so that will be a
>> really good trip.
>>

Don't the Middletons get you down a bit though?
 Its Christmas - henry k
>> >> We all have a fantastic relationship with the Cambridge family so that will be a really good trip.
>> Don't the Middletons get you down a bit though?
>>
That made me smile!
It was not my intention to betray a secret. :-0 )

I too receive a few Round Robins this time of year. I'm not a kern fan, especially the 'bragging' kind. Done this done that visited xyz on holiday. Whether intentional or not that kind of letter is not to my liking.
I probably only post about 15 cards, but I use a large card and try to write several personal paragraphs on an unwritten page. It probably takes about three hours in all, and most are to genuine friends, some overseas, whom I do not see from one year to another, primarily down to their living a long ways away.
Probably if I did Facebook it would not be necessary, but FacePub is more my style.
 Its Christmas - sooty123
>> I too receive a few Round Robins this time of year.

What's a round robin letter?
 Its Christmas - Zero
>> >> I too receive a few Round Robins this time of year.
>>
>> What's a round robin letter?

Its a printed letter addressed to no-one in particular, usually included in a christmas card that details all the things you have done and that have happened over the last year. Its normally written in a self congratulatory boasting tone designed to convey how wonderful your year has been and how your kids are the best in the world and how well you and your family have done.

Vomitous stuff.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 17:20
 Its Christmas - Crankcase
I thought I'd do you a round robin for this year, but then I realised it would say:

Went to work and came back every day. I know we went on holiday at some point but offhand I don't recall where.

Repeat until dead.

Honestly, I must get out more, not that I'd remember it afterwards.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 17:52
 Its Christmas - Runfer D'Hills
I'll do you one.

Been a bit crap really, you?
 Its Christmas - sooty123
Thanks for that, never heard of it before, sounds a bit odd tbh.

>> Its a printed letter addressed to no-one in particular, usually included in a christmas card
>> that details all the things you have done and that have happened over the last
>> year. Its normally written in a self congratulatory boasting tone designed to convey how wonderful
>> your year has been and how your kids are the best in the world and
>> how well you and your family have done.
>>
>> Vomitous stuff.
>>
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
>>Thanks for that, never heard of it before, sounds a bit odd tbh.

Our US relatives do it. It is generally a bit toe-curling.
 Its Christmas - Zero
>> >>Thanks for that, never heard of it before, sounds a bit odd tbh.
>>
>> Our US relatives do it. It is generally a bit toe-curling.

It seemed to start there.
 Its Christmas - Duncan
>>

Simon Hogart has written a book on round robins.

Simon Hoggart, The Hamster That Loved Puccini: The Seven Modern Sins of Christmas Round-Robin Letters (2005) ISBN 1-84354-474-1

The Revenge:-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20810452
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 18:03
 Its Christmas - Manatee
>> >> I too receive a few Round Robins this time of year.
>>

A misnomer, usually.

A round robin is a letter signed by a number of people, so it isn't from anyone in particular. A sort of petition, typically. I think the name came from the signatures being put in a circle to conceal the name of the originator(s). Now, it probably suffices to put the names and signatures in alphabetical order.

It has come to mean what would be better called a circular.
 Its Christmas - mikeyb

>> It has come to mean what would be better called a circular.
>>

Girl on the local radio station was talking about them - said her parents receive one, but the reply would be something like "Alice has managed to cut back to 20 a day, but since moving in with her new chap has gained a stone through comfort eating"

Made me smile
 rattle has very quiet recently? - sherlock47
tinyurl.com/pgrkewx

or is this posh Manchester?
 rattle has very quiet recently? - Dutchie
Cards sent off to family in Dutch land.Middle son and girlfriend are staying with us over Cristmas visiting from London.

Daughter is working Christmas day nursing never stops.On boxing day we are all eating out should be good.All the best to everyone have a good Christmas and New Year.
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
>>so what are you all doing for Christmas this year ?

It'll be a barbecue, cooked by me. And the quite huge amount of relatives that always appear at a South American party will sit about eating, talking and drinking.

By about 4pm the children will slope off having had quite enough of being polite.

New Years Eve will be a party, but the bit in between Christmas & New Year isn't particularly special here.

The children broke up for holidays about 10 days ago, and they don't go back until the beginning of March sometime, so we'll probably go to the beach for a month or two.

Its very difficult to get into the swing of a hot and sunny Christmas. I always enjoy it more somewhere cold, and especially so in England.
 Its Christmas - sooty123

>>
>> The children broke up for holidays about 10 days ago, and they don't go back
>> until the beginning of March sometime, so we'll probably go to the beach for a
>> month or two.
>>

That's a very long break, is that common in S America?
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
Yes, pretty much.

Don't forget this is the Southern Hemisphere so this is their summer break. The rest of the year they get very little I think. Its a two term year, so they get 2 1/2 term breaks of a few days each and a term break of about 10 days - say about 3 weeks plus the long summer break.

Their school day is 8:00 - 15:00 lessons, 15:00 - 18:00 sports and other activities (Drama, Fencing, Orchestra, Swimming, Cheer leading etc. etc)
 Its Christmas - sooty123
>> Yes, pretty much.
>>
>> Don't forget this is the Southern Hemisphere so this is their summer break.

Ah right of course, forgot about that.

>>
>> Their school day is 8:00 - 15:00 lessons, 15:00 - 18:00 sports and other activities
>> (Drama, Fencing, Orchestra, Swimming, Cheer leading etc. etc)
>>

I take it, it's a fee paying school for that sort of thing after school?
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
>>it's a fee paying school

Yes, it is.

The public schools here are pretty awful.
 Its Christmas - sooty123
Thanks, I thought it might be with extra stuff after school.
I went to a fee paying school. Bradford Boys Grammar. We too had extra stuff after school. Smoking in Lister Park, playing with an ouija board and fighting the cat licks from St Bedes College. Happy days. Not.
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
The two girls are quite different;

No. 1 likes shooting, hunting, fishing, fencing, diving, windsurfing and swimming
No. 2 likes Cheerleading, Orchestra (several instruments), singing, dancing and drama.

Goodness knows why they are so different, but we are fortunate that the opportunities exist for both of them.

Their schools are terrific. I wish State schools were half as good because the fees are such that I would never pay them if I didn't have to. I guess I pay for a state education that they don't use so there's some benefit for others..
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 21:38
 Its Christmas - MD
Much what Clarkson said.
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
The cost of Private Schools is insane, but as far as I can see the benefits are undeniable.

Whatya gonna do? Drink vodka and try to forget the invoices is my approach.
 Its Christmas - Kevin
>Goodness knows why they are so different, but we are fortunate that the opportunities exist for both of them.

No. 1 takes after Mum, No. 2 takes after Dad?
 Its Christmas - MD
Give him that one Mark!
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
Git. (made me smile though).

In all seriousness though, there isn't even that consistency. I guess No. 2 is more "arty" and my wife is "artier" than me. I cannot play an instrument, draw a picture or dance - the artistic talent of a brick.

I guess many people on here have two children; are they similar or not?

With my two there are only 2 similarities; they look very similar and they are both extremely bright & strong-willed.

But I can think of no activity, food, television program, film, item of clothing, game or drink that they both like.

1 wears combat clothes, 2 won't do anything unless she can do it in a coordinated outfit. If you wanted 1 to wear anything pink, you'd need a shotgun. And a large dog. And an escape route. Whereas 2 wears coordinated clothing on the beach.

EDIT: having said that, i can think of one thing, they are both avid readers. Although then No. 1 is into Vampire/horror stories whereas No. 2 is into modern "Enid Blyton" type stuff.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 22:40
 Its Christmas - Kevin
>If you wanted 1 to wear anything pink, you'd need a shotgun.

Christmas present problem fixed.

tinyurl.com/34ea2uk
Last edited by: Kevin on Mon 22 Dec 14 at 23:00
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
Funnily enough my Mother sent her some pink camouflage trousers.

They were accepted with politeness and still have the labels on.

On the other hand, my sister sent her some secondhand, ragged, fishing kit and she slopes about in it the whole time.
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
No. 1's birthday is January. My mother is sending her this...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hoodie-Pretty-in-Pink-Dangerous-on-Camo-Hooded-Sweatshirt-Black-/131385829483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=430724535320&hash=item1e9734a86b
 Its Christmas - BobbyG
I went to a private fee paying school.
Hated every minute of it.
 Its Christmas - Armel Coussine
>> I went to a private fee paying school.
>> Hated every minute of it.

I went to four or five, and only hated some of it. Went to intermediate and state schools too, and only hated some of that...

Variety may not be the spice of life, but a change of scene can come at just the right moment sometimes. Or not of course. These things cut both ways.
 Its Christmas - No FM2R
I guess there's good and bad of every type. In my experience though, they're getting their best chances and most enjoyable school life through private education.

One only has to look at their activities, experiences and past-times to appreciate that. In fact, for me, the most impressive thing is their General Knowledge and vocabulary. In English or Spanish and, to a lesser extent, Portuguese
 Its Christmas - smokie
I went to a minor public school as a boarder on a scholarship for 7 years (11 - 18). The first couple of years were really unpleasant as bullying was rife and all in all it was quite a harsh regime. But that relaxed over the next few years and overall I have fond memories of the school, and plenty of tales to reminisce. I have friends who said they hated it but I think they'd have found the alternative even worse...

So, back on topic, I've had enforced holiday from start of this week till 5 Jan (oh the joys of being a contractor), so I've wasted yesterday, and will waste today and most of tomorrow till the evening when a buddy has an open house, and one daughter turns up. Christmas morning the other one arrives with her boyfriend. So we'll eat, drink and play board, card and Wii games for a day, until Boxing day when daughter 2 goes home. She's a nurse and it's her first Christmas Day off for some years, and in the past we've deferred Christmas Day till Boxing Day so it'll be nice to do it on the right day for a change.

Then on with the planning and purchasing for our modest annual NYE bash - just five or six sets of neighbours, most of whom we've been friends with for 20+ years.

Anyway - Happy Christmas one and all...
 Its Christmas - Bromptonaut
Just three of us on 25th; Me, Mrs B and The Lad. Miss B is having first Xmas away from home with her Beau at their place in Devonport.

26th at Sister's with my Mum, nephew and nieces.

27th is 'not Boxing Day'; a sort of shadow of the celebrations once held at Mrs B's late Aunt/Uncle's gaff in Worcestershire.
Latest Forum Posts