Non-motoring > Mandy Rice Davies died Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 9

Mandy Rice Davies died - Zero
Of infamous Profumo scandal fame. Leaves her mark behind her with the famous riposte "well he would say that wouldn't he"

Funnily enough Nicolle and I finally made it to Cilvedon this year and got a tour of the house.
 Mandy Rice Davies died - Bromptonaut
More here.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/19/mandy-rice-davies-profumo-model-dies
 Mandy Rice Davies died - Ambo
Her brilliant cant-clearing comment has entered the language and sits alongside "cui bono?" as a tool for statement analysis.
 Mandy Rice Davies died - Duncan
>> www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/19/mandy-rice-davies-profumo-model-dies
>>

She wan't a model, she was a prostitute.

Why are so many people afraid of words?
 Mandy Rice Davies died - Focusless
>> She wan't a model, she was a prostitute.
>>
>> Why are so many people afraid of words?

"The only reason I still want to talk about it is that I have to fight the misconception that I was a prostitute. I don't want that to be passed on to my grandchildren. There is still a stigma."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30547066

(Don't know the details myself.)
 Mandy Rice Davies died - Stuartli
Wonderful riposte as you say. Stayed at Clivedon several times - fantastic place.
 Mandy Rice Davies died - CGNorwich
"well he would say that wouldn't he"

No quite right. She actually said "he would, wouldn't he'
 Mandy Rice Davies died - Armel Coussine
She can't have been more than 17 in 1961. I was only 23 myself, and was often in the restaurant where the so-called 'scandal' had some of its roots, and whose proprietors were friends of mine. Rice-Davies and Christine Keeler were often in the place, but they weren't the only tarts who went there and I didn't know them personally (although I met Keeler socially around 20 years ago, a respectable middle-aged lady by then). Both of them had aspirations to be something more like courtesans. The tart I liked, and came to know a little, was Rene, more like the real thing and an absolute poppet. Spectacular looking too.

I didn't know Stephen Ward personally either, although a couple of the other pimps - Spade hard men - used to sell us grass.

We were all more or less children in the louche Notting Hill of those early sixties. How time flies.

Note: I think Cliveden is spelt Cliveden, not Clivedon.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 19 Dec 14 at 15:00
 Mandy Rice Davies died - Cliff Pope
I often think how odd it is that famous people whom I thought of as young when I was young mysteriously seem to age faster and then die when they are older than me.
 Mandy Rice Davies died - Roger.
"Mandy Rice Davies died" - well she would, wouldn't she?
Latest Forum Posts