Non-motoring > Smoker's cabinet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 20

Smoker's cabinet - bathtub tom
I inherited this thing from my FIL over twenty years ago. I used to keep my pipe paraphernalia in it until I gave up over ten years ago. It's been in the loft ever since. During a recent clear out, I thought I'd get rid of it, but before binning it thought I'd offer it on Freecycle.

I've been inundated with requests for it!

I often offer stuff on Freecycle before binning it, but I've never had this level of interest before.

Do you lot identify anything with it that may have some value? The only thing of quality I can see is that the glass panel in the door has bevelled glass. The tobacco pot has 'made in England' stamped in the bottom and some, indecipherable, blue stamp.

i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bathtubshare/DSCN0280_zps727cadfb.jpg
i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bathtubshare/DSCN0281_zpsed5fbf75.jpg
 Smoker's cabinet - henry k
>>Do you lot identify anything with it that may have some value?
>>
I know nowt about it but Ebay does.
Have a look and also the "sold" list.

>>The only thing of quality I can see is that the glass panel in the door has bevelled glass.
A nice little cabinet

>> The tobacco pot has 'made in England' stamped in the bottom and some, indecipherable, blue stamp.
This I suggest is upping its value. Not too many have that in them.

I am not surprised there is a queue to get it.

Smoker's cabinet - rtj70
>> i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bathtubshare/DSCN0280_zps727cadfb.jpg

Use the sale money for a camera that can focus! :-)

Although I am anti smoking because it contributed to the death of family members. So no other comments from me.

Looking at the object in question - it looks pointless!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 19 Dec 14 at 00:23
 Smoker's cabinet - No FM2R
I know a woman who spends all week collecting stuff from Freecycle and puts the whole lot in an auction on a Sunday with no reserve.

She's been doing it for 4 years that I know of, and is doing very nicely at it. Certainly enough to put kids through Uni, cars for all three (Mother & Kids), with no other source of income.
 Smoker's cabinet - Harleyman
The whole ethos of Freecycle, apart from the original idea of keeping good stuff out of landfill, is that it is free; in other words, that nobody should make money out of it.

Whilst I can respect the lady's initiative, she's abusing the system.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 19 Dec 14 at 20:47
 Smoker's cabinet - Alastairw
And one hopes Madam is paying tax on her earnings - that is 'An adventure in the nature of trade' if ever I saw one.
 Smoker's cabinet - Roger.
Our local Freecycle has a lady like that - whatever one advertises one is sure to get a reply from her.
 Smoker's cabinet - No FM2R
>>Whilst I can respect the lady's initiative, she's abusing the system.

I agree. It is somehow taking advantage even though the people are happy to give the stuff away for free.

I did once suggest she gave a standard 10% to charity, which would seem to morally balance stuff to me.

She didn't welcome the suggestion.
 Smoker's cabinet - Zero
the market for smokers paraphernalia fell through the floor over recent years, the market for brown furniture is similarly depressed.

However, something about that item has aroused interest in many so clearly something about it is of note or of worth. I suspect the pot may have something to do with it.

drop it down to your local auction house and see what they say.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 19 Dec 14 at 08:20
>>drop it down to your local auction house and see what they say.

I like that idea and will certainly follow it up, thanks.

>>Use the sale money for a camera that can focus! :-)

I was giving it away and using the flash caused reflection off the glass. That ain't a focus problem, it's camera shake and I wasn't going to spend a lot of time getting high quality photo's.
 Smoker's cabinet - BiggerBadderDave
"it's camera shake"

Delirium tremens. Have a drink.
 Smoker's cabinet - rtj70
>> That ain't a focus problem, it's camera shake and I wasn't going to spend a lot of time getting high quality photo's.

If you're shaking then it is a focus problem surely. You'll be telling us next the camera in your phone was used and doesn't have optical image stabilisation (OIS)

One reason I got my DSLR was it had OIS and a large sensor. I then got a smaller system camera that also had OIS. My phone also has OIS.
 Smoker's cabinet - Pat
I love it.

When you find out the value BT let me know before you sell it.

Pat
 Smoker's cabinet - Ted

Snap ! (ish ). We have a smoking cabinet left by MiL and her father before that. It resides in the spare bedroom as a bedside cabinet. It's not in bad condition. Needs a little fettling.

Inside at the top are two drawers. Shelves underneath with a shelf on the right hand door and a pipe rack on the other. One of the ' teardrop ' handles and the key is missing. It's about 20 inches across.

s479.photobucket.com/user/1400ted/media/smoking%20cabinet/002.jpg.html

I quite like it......it ain't not never going on Freecycle, though !

Smoker's cabinet - Cliff Pope
It's lovely, for its own sake, and I'm not a smoker.

I should think one think pushing the value up is the completeness of the set - nice cabinet, jar, set of obviously(?) quality pipes. Worth much more than the sum of the parts.

£100?
 Smoker's cabinet - MD
Someone said that the Woman is not entering the spirit of Freecycle. I agree. However, how do you judge who is taking the 'P'?

I suspect (and would loved to be proven wrong) that the majority of folk are 'at it' in one sense or another. It's Human nature, a bit like foraging for example where it comes for free and you eat it, or in this case you flog it then spend the proceeds in Lidel's or Sainsberry's (where of course you get tirty tree and a tird less for you freecycle pound. That's life my Dear.
>>how do you judge who is taking the 'P'?

If I have more than one person requesting an item, I put their ID into a 'search' box and see what they've previously offered. I offer to those that have offered most in the past. Anyone who's ever offered anything knows that many don't bother to turn up and collect (I suspect a lot of them are school kids), those that have offered stuff in the past know what PITA this is and usually are more likely to turn up and collect.

If I only get one request for an item, I let them have it - saves me a trip to the tip.
 Smoker's cabinet - BiggerBadderDave
"It's Human nature, a bit like foraging for example where it comes for free and you eat it"

I'm a bit like that. I'll eat anything left by a previous customer at Macdonalds.
'Twas myself MD; however I daresay there are degrees of abuse, and also that a certain amount is unavoidable unless you're an absolute saint. I can live with people getting stuff which needs repairing, then selling it on if they've put time, effort and perhaps money into it; did that myself with an old moped. If however you're using Freecycle as a source of income, as this lady clearly is, then it's blatant abuse of the system not simply against the spirit of it.

I've used the Freecycle system regularly for about ten years now; maybe I've been lucky inasmuch as I've only once been messed about when someone didn't collect and even then they had the good grace to e-mail me later and apologise. My view is that like any other system which depends largely on goodwill, honesty and trust, people who abuse it tend to spoil it for everyone not just themselves.

Smoker's cabinet - Pat
Don't tell him that Cliff, you'll start a bidding war.

Perhaps you and I should join forces on this....:)

Pat
I have managed to wean myself off tobacco and onto e-cigarettes; the refillable tank variety not the ones that look like kids sweets or stage props.

As anyone who uses these things will know, there's a fair bit or paraphanalia associated with using them; bottles of liquid, chargers for batteries, spare tanks, coils etc. It occurs to me that there is a market for an updated version of this cabinet, fitted out with two or three USB sockets for charging and with a lock on the door to stop the kids getting hold of things. People who use these things and, like me, live in old houses where such a piece would look right, might be interested.

Hmmm. I shall start browsing my local junk shops; a refit of the man-cave is due next year.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 20 Dec 14 at 09:45
Latest Forum Posts