Non-motoring > Ironic vicar... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Ironic vicar... - smokie
"Norfolk trainee vicar tells kids 'Santa's not real'" www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30532016

"During the carol service, the curate asked children what they thought was the meaning of Christmas. When a child answered "Father Christmas", she told them he was not real."

I wonder what her response would have been if the little 'un had answered "The Son of God's birthday!"
 Ironic vicar... - Haywain
I picked that story up in the Telegraph. Religious folks, like lefties, don't do irony.
 Ironic vicar... - Zero
>> I picked that story up in the Telegraph. Religious folks, like lefties, don't do irony.

to the religious, religion is pretty black and white.
 Ironic vicar... - Mapmaker
>>I picked that story up in the Telegraph. Religious folks, like lefties, don't do irony.

The priest was just doing her job. Believe in God or not, Christmas is about the birth of baby Jesus, and in order to understand our country and its history you need to have some understanding of Christianity.

The people here who *really* don't do irony are the parents. I'm afraid I don't get the whole Father Christmas thing. I'm sure I never believed in him, nor was I encouraged to. And certainly not as a magical giver of free presents, I do recall my father saying that Father Christmas always sent him a bill for our stockings (which contained the usual pencils and chocolate bars); all our other presents were from our parents.
 Ironic vicar... - Fursty Ferret
>> The priest was just doing her job. Believe in God or not, Christmas is about the
>> birth of baby Jesus, and in order to understand our country and its history you
>> need to have some understanding of Christianity.

'cept it's based on a pagan winter festival, innit?
 Ironic vicar... - Zero

>> 'cept it's based on a pagan winter festival, innit?

You can't put a good pagan down.
 Ironic vicar... - henry k
>> >> 'cept it's based on a pagan winter festival, innit?
>>
>> You can't put a good pagan down.
>>
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-30573434
 Ironic vicar... - Cliff Pope
>> > I'm afraid I don't
>> get the whole Father Christmas thing.
>>

Of course children don't believe in Father Christmas. We never did. But it's fun pretending, and unkind to parents to tell them the truth.

Father Christmas would never be so unkind as to tell children that God doesn't really exist.
 Ironic vicar... - No FM2R
>>Of course children don't believe in Father Christmas

I did. Totally. So did my children; one's now pretending while the other one still believes in it whole heartedly.
 Ironic vicar... - MD
That's disappointing.................not real you say. Oh! well.
 Ironic vicar... - Old Navy
It takes all sorts, our minister press ganged me into doing Father Christmas for the toddler groups that meet in the church building.
Latest Forum Posts