Non-motoring > BRits fighting for/against IS Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 11

BRits fighting for/against IS - No FM2R
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2846023/Former-British-infantryman-joins-Kurdish-fighters-Syria-defending-beleaguered-town-against-ISIS.html

I can see no reason why these guys should not be imprisoned.

It is either illegal to go abroad and fight or it is not. The fact that one favours or prefers one side over the other is neither here nor there.

Fighting abroad is seemingly legal for the army but not for individuals. Therefore these men broke the law.
 BRits fighting for/against IS - Manatee
Is it illegal to fight abroad, per se?

ISIS/ISIL is designated a terrorist organisation by the UN, the EU, and the UK.

It would therefore be logical to make it illegal for UK citizens to fight for ISIS, but not against it.

But I don't know what law applies here, do you?
No, I have no idea and you make a very valid point that IS is designated a terrorist organization.

Nonetheless, valuing civilians who go abroad to unofficially fight in a war differently depending on whether or not you agree with their cause / chosen side seems deeply flawed to me.

And I specifically mean "valuing".
 BRits fighting for/against IS - Haywain
"It is either illegal to go abroad and fight or it is not."

Yeah - and what about those that have gone to fight the cruel ebola virus?
>>Yeah - and what about those that have gone to fight the cruel ebola virus?

Are you being serious or trying to be smart?
 BRits fighting for/against IS - Lygonos
>>Are you being serious or trying to be smart?

Umm, do you have Asperger's, NoFM2R?

:-)

edit: corrected typo - I have LEsdicksia
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 17 Dec 14 at 16:55

>Umm, do you have Asperger's, NoFM2R?

Dunno, I think i have most things.
 BRits fighting for/against IS - Armel Coussine
>> Fighting abroad is seemingly legal for the army but not for individuals. Therefore these men broke the law.

The law hasn't got much to do with it. Legal, official armed conflict is still an orgy of crime. Squaddies are used to the idea and OK with it, or they'd be doing something else for a living.

Seems pretty obvious to me that defending Kurds against Isil is seen by our authorities as fighting on the right side, while joining or supporting Isil is seen as fighting for the bad guys. On the whole I agree with them. What sane and reasonable person wouldn't?
 BRits fighting for/against IS - Lygonos
>>On the whole I agree with them. What sane and reasonable person wouldn't?

When it was ISIL vs Assad it all looked so different, eh?
Presackly.
>> When it was ISIL vs Assad it all looked so different, eh?

Of course it didn't. What are you trying to say Lygonos? Did you notice any sane and reasonable people suggesting that either should be supported?

There were anti-Assad activists who weren't Islamists. An effective minority though, who have been scattered and put down it seems.
>> There were anti-Assad activists who weren't Islamists. An effective minority though, who have been scattered and put down it seems.

Mind you Syria does have a very complicated side. It's rare for the media to make much sense of it. All the overlapping variables and dichotomies confuse them, and they bang on about the Muslim schism instead of trying to sort the wheat from the huge quantities of chaff.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 17 Dec 14 at 18:18
Latest Forum Posts