Non-motoring > Delivery anomaly Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 15

Delivery anomaly - Westpig
I've just returned home and there was a young lady sat in a van outside my house.

So I stopped on the way in to the drive and asked if she was delivering to us or similar, turned out she was... but... she had to wait 10 minutes before she could deliver the package because she is tracked by GPS and has to scan the package before she hands it over.

How mad is that.

She told me some days she's chasing around like a mad thing trying to attain her time limits, yet today was having to wait outside people's houses.

Delivery anomaly - Manatee
So why didn't she just scan it and give it to you?

On the other hand, if you are doing timed deliveries then some slack is essential.

I often get a call from the Ocado drivers to ask if they can deliver early when they are ahead of schedule, and on one occasion came home just in time to find the van already here.
 Delivery anomaly - wokingham
Lucky you aren't dealing with Yodel! They have had a parcel of mine in their depot for 17 days! 6 days before they even tried to deliver it, I was out, card through the door. I went on line to book a re-delivery which didn't happen and as I write I am wasting another day for a booked re-delivery. Useless!
>> So why didn't she just scan it and give it to you?

That would have been too early
 Delivery anomaly - TheManWithNoName
Tesco are the same. Wouldnt deliver to us on a weekend break in the the Lincolnshire Alps on a remote farm. Mind you the fella did allow us to take the teabags, biscuits and milk we'd ordered. Which was nice.
 Delivery anomaly - Zero
>> Tesco are the same. Wouldnt deliver to us on a weekend break in the the
>> Lincolnshire Alps on a remote farm.

You are lucky he found the place.

DHL tho really take the biscuit, they leave you a card saying they will redeliver tomorrow, but they don't - or wont, you have to phone them up. You only find that out after you phone them up when its not delivered and you have wasted a day.
 Delivery anomaly - Cliff Pope
We just write "Please leave in porch if out" in the delivery instructions box when ordering.
 Delivery anomaly - Runfer D'Hills
It would be rare to have all of one's domestic staff on leave on the same day though wouldn't it?
 Delivery anomaly - MD
If enough people who suffer this carp just say to the vendor that it is no longer required (due to delivery outside of the agreed time scale or some such other excuse) then perhaps, just perhaps it'll get through to them, but I'm not holding my breath.
 Delivery anomaly - Harleyman
Glad someone's started this thread... stand by for rant.

Ordered a Xmas toy for my granddaughter from ToysRUs; too late, realised that it was being sent to me rather than my daughter in Gosport. Contacted ToysRus website immediately, to be told that if I cancelled it within 30 minutes I could re-order and sort it out. Relevant button would not work so I resigned myself to extra postage costs. Complained to ToysRus and got the electronic equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders.

I'd ordered this on the 6th December and it was supposed to be in stock, however for some reason it wasn't dispatched until the 12th, via UPS. Now they're supposed to be pretty good, so when it didn't arrive within a couple of days (well it is nearly Christmas) I started to fret. Rang a contact number which, surprise surprise, went to an offshore call centre. Gave the assistant my mobile number plus extra address details, it's now Monday 15th; was in all day Tuesday, still no parcel or phone call, so went onto web and fortunately found direct line to Swansea depot. Spoke to a lady there, assured that it would be out for delivery Wednesday.

Tonight I came home, still no parcel; phoned Swansea again, driver still out delivering. Ray of hope though because I mentioned the fact it was being shipped onwards and the helpful chap said they could do it if it wasn't delivered today; I now have to phone them early tomorrow morning and arrange it. I'll let you know how I get on but I'm seriously unimpressed; UPS claim to be the best in the world and yet they've failed miserably.

Next year I'm giving daughter money and she can buy the damn things herself!

Delivery anomaly - Bromptonaut
Best round here by some margin are DPD. Text and e mail day before delivery to alert me item is due. Further text e-mail on day confirms time down to an hour slot. Yodel OTOH canbe anytime from 08:00 to post 20:00.

But real gripe is Post Office. Until last week or so anything undelivered went to village PO. Short walk or bike ride and stuff was sorted.

From this week all undelivered stuff goes back to main sorting office on an industrial estate on other side of town and half way to Wellingborough. Only way to get there is to drive. Even that is 12miles/20mins each way. So allowing for wait time at sorting office that's an hour of my time and half a gallon of diesel.

So they ignore their USP, an office in every village, massively inconvenience customers but then moan that they cannot compete and that the 'universal service' is under threat.
 Delivery anomaly - sooty123
UPS and RM seem the best around here, never really any problems. Yodel are the worst by a mile, taken to trying avoid companies that use them. Even when we are in they try and avoid delivering. Even if you go straight to the door, they are already writing out the 'missed delivery' card, oh thought you were out routine. And that's when they actually turn up.
>> Best round here by some margin are DPD.

Agreed... and it is by far.
 Delivery anomaly - Zero
>> >> Best round here by some margin are DPD.
>>
>> Agreed... and it is by far.

Indeed. great communication and tracking. And I always get the same driver who keeps to a certain route and timing.
 Delivery anomaly - henry k

>> Indeed. great communication and tracking. And I always get the same driver who keeps to
>> a certain route and timing.
>>
My experience too.
A very long list of deliveries in my area and I sort of monitored progress.
With 20 mins to go and several deliveries still to make ( according to the web site) and he was outside with my parcel..
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 18 Dec 14 at 01:45
 Delivery anomaly - Runfer D'Hills
A DPD driver ran over my neighbour's cat and didn't stop. I tried to help the cat but it died after a few minutes. I took it to my neighbour in a cardboard box when he got home from work. Explained the situation but I'm sure he thought I did it.

It was called Fluff. Nice cat, if you like cats. I can take them or leave them but I have owned a couple and I know people get very attached to them. It used to sit outside the local school and the kids would fuss it.

He moved away recently and we've got a new DPD driver so I suppose I don't have to keep fretting that he thinks it was me.

Can't see a DPD van without thinking of that poor cat though. Funny how things stick in your mind.
Latest Forum Posts