Non-motoring > PVR replacement Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 14

PVR replacement - bathtub tom
My old PVR has finally kicked the bucket after limping along for over a year and I'm looking for a replacement.

I've still an old CRT TV and I'll need a PVR with SCART connection. It's been suggested I should get one with built in WIFI.

Humax direct have this HDR-2000T/500-G 'A' grade for just over £100, no WIFI, but I don't know how much a dongle or one of these systems that use the mains supply costs.

I haven't decided yet and am open to suggestions.
 PVR replacement - Zero

>> Humax direct have this HDR-2000T/500-G 'A' grade for just over £100, no WIFI, but I
>> don't know how much a dongle or one of these systems that use the mains
>> supply costs.

Don't let the lack of wifi restrict your choice. The mains supply things are cheap enough
 PVR replacement - Tigger

>>
>> Humax direct have this HDR-2000T/500-G 'A' grade for just over £100, no WIFI, but I
>> don't know how much a dongle or one of these systems that use the mains
>> supply costs.
>>

We have one, but it seems a bit 'deaf'. The TVs in the house report good signal from the aerial, but the Humax maintains that it is low, and refuses to tune in/record some channels.

I'm finding it hard to work out what I should buy instead.
 PVR replacement - RattleandSmoke
I would avoid refurb PVRs, they are often just faulty ones with internment faults that could not be detected when they are returned so get resold.

Any none HD PVR should have a SCART socket.
 PVR replacement - Focusless
>> I would avoid refurb PVRs, they are often just faulty ones with internment faults that
>> could not be detected when they are returned so get resold.

FWIW we've got a Bush refurb purchased from Argos on ebay some years ago that's still working well; no obvious problems. Only £50-ish, 320Gb, twin-tuner (and silent). If I were the OP I would be looking to do the same again.
 PVR replacement - No FM2R
>>I've still an old CRT TV and I'll need a PVR with SCART connection

Actually not.

SCART is only a connection solution, it has no bearing on the technology. Consequently a lead which is SCART at one end and a variety of RCA, S-Video etc. at the other end will almost certainly work.

e.g.

www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-SCART-Adapter-Composite-PlayStation/dp/B0035XB4Z4

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Switchable-Scart-to-Scart-S-Video-2-RCA-Audio-Adaptor-SVHS-NEW-AND-SENT-TODAY-/221204686839

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-Lead-Cable-to-3-x-RCA-Phono-Audio-Video-Plugs-TV-Adaptor-Adapter-Converter-/320817712541

But you will need to avoid any PVR with HDMI only, for example.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 8 Dec 14 at 11:55
 PVR replacement - VxFan
>> But you will need to avoid any PVR with HDMI only, for example.

You can get HDMI to SCART adapters. Pretty pointless though, unless you don't want to upgrade the old TV.
 PVR replacement - Zero
>> >> But you will need to avoid any PVR with HDMI only, for example.
>>
>> You can get HDMI to SCART adapters.

Its slightly more than an "adaptor" - makes it sound just like a plug! Its actually a mains powered digital to analogue converter box, and pretty pee poor at that
 PVR replacement - rtj70
I wouldn't expect many current PVRs to have an actual SCART socket on the back. More likely to have RCA output (which can be plugged into a SCART adapter or straight into a TV) or a DIN socket. Whatever is on there, should provide connectivity to the SCART socket on the old TV.
Gone and got me a new Humax HDR-2000T.

Poor old user's manual. Page numbers in the contents bear no resemblance to the body of the book and there's absolutely no instructions on how to select radio channels. Had to post on a Humax forum to find out how!

It's got a SCART connector!
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Mon 8 Dec 14 at 20:16
 PVR replacement - rtj70
But the manual does say the TV button switches between TV/radio mode. Does that work?
>> But the manual does say the TV button switches between TV/radio mode. Does that work?

It doesn't in my manual. I'll try it tomorrow. Typing 704 will change it to R4, 1 for BBC1 etc.
 PVR replacement - Zero
There is a button on the remote

TV/Radio

Its a small one mind,
>> There is a button on the remote

Not on mine. Apparently the HDR-1800T has, but not the 2000.
 PVR replacement - Zero
Ah yes I see the problem, the manual gives the description of one remote, but the picture of a different one.

Helpful
Latest Forum Posts