Non-motoring > Something sticky to stop swarf rattling Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 14

Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Dave
I make some stuff out of ally box section pop riveted together. It has to be assembled completely before riveting, which means that some swarf from the holes drilled after assembly stays inside and then rattles a little. And every once in a while I make a mistake and have to drill out the rivet, which leaves the rivet piece inside.

Any ideas if there's something I can spray through small holes in the assembly to 'glue' the swarf together at the bottom of the tubes? I thought about chain lube, but the assemblies get warm (in a hot car), and I don't want it smelling or running out of joints.
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - bathtub tom
HMP grease?
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Zero
If you know where the holes will be before assemby, then you use masking tape on the inside. The tape goes into sticky paper shards and catches most of the swarf.

Why not however leave one section as self tapped screws? then you can take a section out and clean it out.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Jul 10 at 20:20
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Iffy
Drill a couple of cotton reel sized holes in the box section and tap/blow out the foreign bodies.

Did I read somewhere circular holes in box sections could make the structure stronger?

That might be garbage, but I don't think a few holes will significantly weaken the section.

And if it's a racer, think of all the weight you'll save.

Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Zero
>> Did I read somewhere circular holes in box sections could make the structure stronger?

Not stronger, but may stiffen parts if the holes are flaired.
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Number_Cruncher
Would nutserts be a way round the problem?

www.nutserts.co.uk/Nutserts.htm

Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - devonite
>>>> Did I read somewhere circular holes in box sections could make the structure stronger?

you might have seen it on that recent documentry about the Titanic, on her later sister ship Britannic they "bulbed" the bottom of the expansion joints to make them stronger and less prone to splitting.

ps
One for the pedants!

why is Britannic spelt with 2xN yet Titanic with single N.?
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Dave_
>> One for the pedants!

>> why is Britannic spelt with 2xN yet Titanic with single N.?

Because Britannic derives from the word Britannia. Titanic from the word Titan. Simples :-)
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 17:17
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Ian (Cape Town)
GunGum, that gunk you use to seal up exhausts.
dilute it 50/50 with water, pour in, and heat the outside of the section with a blowlamp.
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Ted

Expanding foam ?

Ted
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - FotheringtonTomas
Seal-o-foam.
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Bellboy
you are asking the impossible
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - VxFan
Cavity wax,

eg waxoyl.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 2 Jul 10 at 23:41
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Dave
Ha, yes, I may be asking the impossible. I've tried using self drill screws, but can't get any with a long enough drill section for the thickness of material, but that isn't so long it comes out the other side of the box section. Unfortunately I can't disassemble after drilling either.

The assembly consists of lots of box section inserted end-ways into a U section, so I don't really want to drill a largeish hole at each joint, otherwise the U section will be full of holes. It is also highly visible. I can get away with a small hole, but not big enough to let the swarf out.

I may look at the expanding foam and see if I can spray it through a small tube like you get with WD40.
 Something sticky to stop swarf rattling - Baz
Motorbike chain lube, sprayed in ,sets to a viscous gunge.
Latest Forum Posts