Non-motoring > Good wet & Dry cleaner Buying / Selling
Thread Author: busbee Replies: 9

Good wet & Dry cleaner - busbee
I want to buy a wet & dry cleaner and need a recommendation from someone who already has one?

My ideal is an upright type cleaner similar in looks to other, not W & D, uprights.

[ I already have a good upright for dry duties.]

Convenience in use is much more important than it being able to clean a large area on one filling. My need is for a very infrequent use for just a bit of carpet cleaning and to mop up an occasional spillage.

What I do not want is what I once owned that looked like a darlec with four wheels on the bottom. It took up a lot of cupboard space. It had a separate plastic tube to supply the liquid that ran down the outside of a suction pipe. A bit of a mess, really, both to set up and to put away.

I gave it away to a good cause after only a few uses in the 10 years I had it.

Good wet & Dry cleaner - Tooslow
We have a VAX which works well, but it's not an upright. I'm not sure such things exist. Would you not be better hiring one from time to time and having a blitz with it? Ours largely sits and eats cupboard space, as you have said.

JH
 Good wet & Dry cleaner - Zero
the dalek with the umbilical cord sounds like a VAX, was it orange?
Yes it was a Vax. I had a senior moment and the name escaped me.

A relative, who had the same Vax, now has an upright one, she tells me. I copied her once before and got the darlec Vax! This time I want a second opinion.

Yes I know that they sit most of their time in a cupboard. But if someone upsets things on your carpet, there is not really the time to go out looking to hire one.
 Good wet & Dry cleaner - devonite
i have one of these an it`s brill! quick, clean and easy to use! and yes! it`s a vax!!

www.vax.co.uk/shop/catalogue/carpet-cleaners
devonite: That is the sort of thing I had in mind. Thanks for that.

I wonder what the model number was of the one you bought?

Paying the extra 30 notes for a heated version looks interesting.

I also wonder if the "all floors" one is still as good as a carpet cleaner.

Correction. It is 120 for a no-heat one, 330 for one supplying heat, and 360 for the all-floors one with heat.
 Good wet & Dry cleaner - devonite
Mine is nothing fancy! in fact its the Rapide classic, the cheapest! - but it still does what it says on the tin! We have dark carpets and light wear, so a heated one isn`t required. It was bought to replace the one I previously had, the Vax "Dalek" (as you`ve christened it!) as i blew that up trying to be clever sucking the water and gravel out of the fishtank ;-) it did the job ok, just guzzeled it too fast and flooded itself!
 Good wet & Dry cleaner - Old Navy
My local Tesco is selling a Karcher wet/dry drum shaped vacuum cleaners at half price, availiable in store if not online.

direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-7015.aspx
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 15:52
devonite: Thanks for that. Going from spending 160 to 360 notes has just got a lot less attractive. Also the 360 one looks much bigger with, what looks like, a hose wrapped around the back.

oldnavy: Thanks but my last dalec was given away.
Last edited by: busbee on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 19:27
Latest Forum Posts