Non-motoring > Finally found some business premises Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 40

Finally found some business premises - RattleandSmoke
I think I am going to take it, its a very small unit in a business park in the other side of Manchester.

The rent is right and its very secure but also has the oppurtunity to put signs up etc.

The rent is flexible as well. I just have to pay business rates (very cheap), electricity and phone/broadband on top of the small rent.

The problem is I only have a few hundered quid to kit the entire thing out, so a lot of creative thinking is needed. I have several spare monitors and cases, so I just need a few cheap motherboards. I shall run be running Ubuntu on the office machines.

I am not sure how this will fit into my existing my business as its in a different area but I will probably run it all as one company but with two trading names. I just need some structure in my life and I am hoping going to this new shop every morning will give me that.

It is a small risk but if it goes wrong all I have lost is a few nights out.
 Finally found some business premises - Bromptonaut
I'm only an overpaid and underworked public servant;-) But even my busines experience says to take legal advice before entering into lease for business premises.
It is not a lease, it is just a pay as you go month by month contract. That is the idea of these places to make it much easier to get premises. Obviously if it was a standalone premises e.g a proper lease I would get a lawyer to look at it.

I will check the terms and conditions very carefully though. I did a course on this a while ago which basicaly told us things to look out for in lease contracts.

There are free legal forums I can use too if there is something I am unsure off, but atm I cannot afford to paying lawyers fees.
 Finally found some business premises - rtj70
So who will man the shop when you're out fixing computers etc? Don't say your father ;-) It needs to be someone with some knowledge at least.
 Finally found some business premises - Fursty Ferret
>> business rates (very cheap),

Really? This is something you really need to take professional advice on, since IMHO rates are absolutely punitive on business. You may also find you need to be VAT registered, which is a whole new kettle of fish.
Already got all the figures. I don't need to be VAT registered, all I need is public liability which I already have.

Its more of an office/shop its basicaly a door and a window so I can put signs up but manning is my biggest dilema. I think the best thing at the moment is to have restrictive opening hours. The main point of the premises is when I have a nasty virus to remove I can pick up the computer and drop it off here. I am working from home at the moment which is causing too many problems.

The premises have a deal with the city council so business rates are half price, the room is also tiny which also reduces it. The rent is on a month by month basis and I can leave at any time.

There is 120 other businesses on the site.

At the moment I have lost the difference between work and play as people can probably tell by the amount of time I spend on here.
 Finally found some business premises - The Nut
How long are the business rates half price? I ask because I have known of a few cases where businesses have had to call it quits once the discount rate is over.
I just hope security is good. And you need to consider insurance for clients computers.
The complex is locked at night, and they employ two security guards which walk round the place at night. It has full CCTV etc as well. There have been a few places I have passed up due to a lack of security.

I will also fit some ethernet CCTV cameras in the unit as well just so I can keep an eye on things from home. May also be useful when working on any of the machines remotely.
Full price is £35 a month, but atm it is half price at £17.00. The room is tiny its 100sq ft but I will only need to fit upto four computers in there, if I get really busy then I simply upgrade to a bigger unit. Manchester city council are also very good with business rates in certain areas, this being a poor part of Manchester where the unit is they want businesses there at any means.

If the unit was 1000sq ft and in my local area then business rates would probably be a fortune.

I have spent quite a few months looking into all this :).

It is very flexible as well its not like I am signing a two year contract, if I was then of course laywers would be involved.
I assume you will have insurance for client computers - you must have this now I guess but covering you at home instead.
Yeah if anything it will be cheaper to insure there. They might insist in an alarm though. There are loads of other businesses there which must have the same kind of insurance so I doubt it is a problem. If anything it is more secure than your high street PC shop.
 Finally found some business premises - Bigtee
Good luck to you ratts why not find a little shop with a flat above the shop and live there get away from your parents have your own life and enjoy it?
That is something for the future :). Although the PC industry is slowing dying and the money is more in support anyway. I think a technology shop would work though.

Apart of this move is because I may have to move out soon and I cannot run a business from a rented flat.
 Finally found some business premises - Tooslow
Good luck, hope it goes well.

JH
 Finally found some business premises - Old Navy
Hope it works out OK Rattle, don't forget business use insurance for the Panda.
Of course :). My business is almost five years old, always had business insurance for my cars. It dosn't really make much difference to the premium anyway.

Cable is not installed in the area so it means having no choice to pay BT for installation which could is a bit of a problem, that £122 would be better spent else where.
 Finally found some business premises - Iffy
...There is 120 other businesses on the site...

Which is 120 potential customers.

I expect a lot of them will be running domestic pcs or small small business systems, which sounds the type of stuff you are used to.

A lot of those businesses will have little money - same as you - but you don't mind working on a low cost/low overhead basis.

Wander round that site with your diagnostic lappie tucked under your arm and you make a modest living doing just that.

Finally found some business premises - Skoda
Get a ducks bum for a wallet, don't spend a penny piece on anything until it's costing you money not to spend on it ;-)

>> Cable is not installed in the area so it means having no choice to pay BT for installation

But you can get good speed out of BT if you live in the right area... before going for that though I'd try doing without a fixed line (because of the 12 month contract) and use 3G. Use the broadband at home for any large downloads though.
 Finally found some business premises - Ted

Yeah, good luck with that ratty. Don't forget a kettle and some mugs.

I didn't know you were still actively looking. I found a place in Sale that i thought was the sort of place that might suit you. They were offering small units and even workspaces but I was only walking past and didn't look at any close details.

Ted
 Finally found some business premises - Bellboy
rattle
well done go for it
as for the rates its a govt initiative these half price rates so get in now and get them,ive had these for 3 years now and guess what? from october the govt are going to give you free rates for a year,yes free rates for a year so get in now before someone else takes this unit
this time next year you will be able to reasses seeing as you have an easy in easy out landlord
remember to get everything signed and sealed though in case they want you to paint everything before you leave (trafford estates)
 Finally found some business premises - smokie
Or get BT and share the connection amongst your neighbours, for a fee. Or share one of theirs.
 Finally found some business premises - Netsur
Rattle

If you need any advice about the property in any way just get in touch via the mods. You know I am a Chartered Surveyor based in Salford and work around Manchester. It's what I do - advise business about all aspects of property acquisition and occupation.
Thanks

Been thinking long and hard about this and the property I am looking at is in Ardwick and my client base is the Stretford, Chorlton, Didsbury area so it might be a bit too far.

Ted can you remember where the place in Sale was? Also there are some units near Andy to let so I am going to enquire about them tomorrow.

It might be that if it costs me £100 a month more to have some where local it dosn't cost me any more in terms of time and I will save fuel costs.

My sister may be moving out too and she has a 400sq ft bedroom and I can have that for very little rent but part of the reason for wanting commercial premises to so I am not relying on a home address we may not have for much longer.

I go out once every weekend so don't drive the following day, its either saturday or friday, this weekend it was friday so if I had to be in Ardwick the next day that is a good 50 minutes on the bus. In rush hour it is a good 40 minute drive too.

I really need to sit down and work out exactly what I would want to use commercial premises for.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 16:14
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZBPu7jJbJU&feature=fvst
Funnily enough I've had "I thought the law" in my head all afternoon.

Its me all over though, get excited about something then I realise the practicle problems. So I am undecided at the moment but I have a few people to call tomorrow about more local places.
 Finally found some business premises - R.P.
I thought it was "fought" or was it I fought it was thought ?
well i once went into a fort
does that help?
You are correct - just my awful spelling :).

A band I will never get to see :(
 Finally found some business premises - Ted

Ian........Go down the A56 and turn right into Glebelands Road. It's the first building on the right, painted white.
Here it is...zoom it.

tinyurl.com/2wc9kb6

Nice little sandwich shop there....in the background !

Ted
 Finally found some business premises - Falkirk Bairn
Rattleandsmoke - you may well be under pricing your work.

Buying a cable @ £2.00 and selling @ £6.00 when PCWorld charge £10.

I'd tell the punter the cables etc are PC World price less 20% or 25%.

A friend of mine takes most of his work over the phone.............first detail is post code, chats a little .........
he then checks the value of the homes in that PC - Expensive house £35/£40 per hour, average £30, poorer post code £20.00 / 25.00. If he is really busy it is always that bit higher.
 Finally found some business premises - Bigtee
Tell the customer your price plus vat, There's quite a few can't work out how much the vat is.!
Rattle when you said this place was the other end of Manchester I guessed Ardwick or Longsight. I then thought if that is not where you currently do business then it may not be the best location for you. You'll spend a lot of time travelling. To drop something off will be a round trip of a good few miles.
Yep Rob I think that is what I have realised over the weekend. I could end up having to pick something up take it all the way to Ardwick and then to do a repair on it all for £30 or so.

The traffic may also get very bad due to all the city centre traffic. I think I need to restrict my base to either Chorlton ro Didsbury as it will always be central to where I am working anyway.

It is just a shame the Empress place in Old Trafford is too expensive as thats not too far from me.

I've got quite a few other ideas though so I will phone round tomorrow.
Rattle

You my find it easier to rent an office or room from an established business. The business may have spare space and looking to increase income in these hard times. If you want to be in Chorlton then wander up and down Barlow Moor Road and Wilbraham Road and pop flyers in the letterboxes of businesses, especially those who are above the shops. You will probably get an all inclusive rent for £50/£75 a week.
 Finally found some business premises - TheManWithNoName
Rattle, regarding the business rates..

Will you be liable for paying it directly or will you pay inclusive of rent to the owner?

If you are liable yourself, you can caim Small Business rate relief of 50% if your rateable value is less than £6000. Between £6000 and £12000 it decreases on a sliding scale.
From October 2011 however, anyone with a rateable value of £6000 and under will get 100% relief for a year! (until September 2012).

Check your rateable value here at www.voa.gov.uk.
Also check out www.businesslink.gov.uk for help and advice.

best of luck
Thanks, in these premsies I would pay them directly to the council.

Not done much looking around today as my knee has gone so I am unable to walk, but hopefully I can still drive.

I might put in a wanted add from gumtree to see if anybody has any space but I won't give out my phone number or I will just get a flood of time wasters trying to sell me an office in Oldham or something.

Rattle

Give me an idea of where you would ideally want to be?
It really needs to be Chorlton, Firswood, Didsbury and maybe the north Heatons. Most my work is in Chorlton and Didsbury. I need a small unit as well as the rent does need to be cheap at this stage. 100sq ft is fine, it is more than I have at the moment anyway.

I think trying to find some where small and thus cheap enough is the big problem, and parking is an issue. It is why the offices say above Barlow Moor road would not be practicle unless it has a car park.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 5 Jul 10 at 22:06
Have a look around the junction of Great Stone Road and Kings Road in Firswood. A few shops with premises above. Lots of parking, convenient for Chorlton and Didsbury as well as Salford Quays and Trafford Park for real business.
Latest Forum Posts