Non-motoring > Weed & feed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 10

Weed & feed - legacylad
I am pretty dude this has been covered previously, but on a large, level mossy lawn, is it worth it? Not much of an investment in time & money (£8.50) but....
 Weed & feed - CGNorwich
Not in November. Won't kill weeds and will promote soft growth of grass which will be damaged by frost.

Scarify the lawn with a lawn rake (hard work) or electric scarifier to remove moss. Spike lawn with fork lifting the turf slightly as you go to improve drainage. Brush in some course sand.

When lawn start growing in Spring apply good quality feed.
 Weed & feed - henry k
Yes. I agree with that approach.
There is "Autumn feed" which promotes roots and not the green top thus avoiding damage.
Next year use " Lawn sand" to zap the moss but keep it clean of paving unless you like the rusty finish.
Liquid moss killer is also available.With either treatment you get black moss in 48 hours so I hope there is grass there as the effect can be quite dramatic.
 Weed & feed - No FM2R
>>I am pretty dude

Well, dude, I admire your self confidence.
 Weed & feed - legacylad
Well dude, so much for predictive txt. Maybe I should turn it off.
Sadly the inventor of predictive txt died recently.
His funfair will be hello on sundial

I was going to use Autumn weed & feed. The alternatives are too time consuming at the moment, but thank you for the replies.
 Weed & feed - NortonES2
Constant struggle to keep grass from being undermined by moss, here in the hills. I can see when out and about I'm not the only one. Wonder how long the autumn "tonic" would last?
 Weed & feed - Zero
grass is green, moss is green, where is the struggle?
 Weed & feed - VxFan
>> grass is green, moss is green, where is the struggle?

Grass is easier to cut than moss.
 Weed & feed - Zero
moss doesn't need to be mowed
 Weed & feed - henry k
>> grass is green, moss is green, where is the struggle?
>>
Wrong green.
 Weed & feed - Haywain
I have found that the best way to assist the grass vs moss fight is to:

1. Apply nitrogen to the lawn in the spring using dried chicken poo fertiliser; my dad gave me a sack of the stuff years ago, so it could well be 30 yrs old. I have to apply it when rain is imminent so that the pellets are quickly broken down and washed in, otherwise the greedy old labrador hoovers it up.

2. Apply a solution of ferrous sulphate via a sprayer on a day wen the lawn is wet, or it is about to rain. A watering-can rose is generally too coarse.

3. Don't cut the grass too short - allow it to 'outgrow' the moss.

I don't use any sort of autumn feed but that's not to say that they wouldn't be beneficial. As someone mentioned earlier, though, nitrogen in the autumn would produce too soft growth for winter endurance.
Latest Forum Posts