Non-motoring > DIY - advice needed? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 7

DIY - advice needed? - sherlock47
This made me smile -pretty sound advice.

www.thepoke.co.uk/2014/11/07/great-advice-for-any-diyers-doing-work-this-weekend/
 DIY - advice needed? - RattleandSmoke
What make is so scary is there are people that actually do that!
 DIY - advice needed? - Clk Sec
Not without removing the cheese, surely...
 DIY - advice needed? - Cliff Pope
>> there are people that actually do that!
>>

Not on a permanent basis, but I've certainly tested an appliance by stuffing the wires in the holes and ramming them in with a spare plug, before going to the trouble of fitting a plug to something that doesn't work.

Oh dear, doesn't everyone do that ? My father did (and died of old age) :)
 DIY - advice needed? - sherlock47
>> >> there are people that actually do that!
>> >>
>>
>> Not on a permanent basis, but I've certainly tested an appliance by stuffing the wires
>> in the holes and ramming them in with a spare plug, before going to the
>> trouble of fitting a plug to something that doesn't work.
>>
>> Oh dear, doesn't everyone do that ? My father did (and died of old age)
>> :)
>>

Surprising what a bang a 32A wire fuse makes back in the consumer unit :)

However not sure that I would do what was filmed in Rogue traders last week, using the wires stuffed in a company fuse holder - relying on whatever there is back at the substation :)

The outrage shown in that program at cutting the seals - if that was not done we would probably have bodies of qualified electricians littering our basements :)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 10 Nov 14 at 09:48
 DIY - advice needed? - henry k
>>The outrage shown in that program at cutting the seals - if that was not done we would probably have bodies of qualified electricians littering our basements :)
>>
I know someone who recently swopped tails to a new consumer box without cutting the seals and in complete safety.
How why? Road lights / houses were in darkness. The electrical repair in the pavement had hit a problem, a water main. While the guys looked at their reflections in the pond and awaited the water board guys, the task was easily completed.
Why miss this opportunity :-)
 DIY - advice needed? - henry k
>> >> there are people that actually do that!
>>
>> Oh dear, doesn't everyone do that ? My father did (and died of old age) > :)
>>
I recall the outcry when KitKat bars appeared in plastic wrappers.

It has been said that the silver foil had been used as a fuse link and an instant source of the " emergency" fix would be lost forever.
 DIY - advice needed? - John Boy
Made me smile too, but I preferred the subtlety of T-Shirt of the Week.
Latest Forum Posts