Non-motoring > An email from the National Lottery Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 16

An email from the National Lottery - smokie
I do the lottery online via a standing order, but my online account has been suspended for ages. They usually just pay any winnings back to my bank account (all too few and far between!!)

This morning I had an email from the Lottery. They had good news for me, I was to call them on an 0845 number. I thought I must have hit the Big Time.

So after checking online in case it was a scam, I called them. The usual menus and muzak, and after probably 3 or 4 minutes eventually got to speak to someone. I've won £25, three numbers. Wow.

That call probably took over £1 off my winnings, as well as upping my heat rate for some time.

Not impressed.
 An email from the National Lottery - Robin O'Reliant
Silly boy -

www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
 An email from the National Lottery - smokie
Tried that, the retailer number wanted a retailer ID and the other number didn't answer.
 An email from the National Lottery - Mr. Ecs
Is this the new process?
I've been an online player for a few years. Whenever I won anything I would receive the email, log in and the winnings would be stipulated on my account web page. No premium rate number to call.
If it is the new process I might as well go back to buying from shops. Why should I pay them any more than my DD outlay. No wonder they are losing custom. First doubling the cost, now apparently using premium numbers. Say YES to saynoto0870 I say.
 An email from the National Lottery - Mr. Ecs
I think these companies have got wise to this service. I've tried before and it has worked sometimes but not always. Seems Camalot have thrown a spanner so you can't avoid their number. Really stinks. But we live in a free market, don't we. ;-)
 An email from the National Lottery - CGNorwich
But we live in a free market, don't we. ;-)

Yes we do. Use a a phone company that doesn't charge extra for 0870/0845 numbers e.g TalkTalk
 An email from the National Lottery - Clk Sec
>> e.g TalkTalk
>>

Shudder...
Never had any problema bit there are plenty of providers out there
It's a free market.

An email from the National Lottery - Boxsterboy
>> But we live in a free market, don't we. ;-)
>>
>> Yes we do. Use a a phone company that doesn't charge extra for 0870/0845 numbers
>> e.g TalkTalk
>>

Or better still, invest your money where it has a better chance of not going down the drain.
 An email from the National Lottery - DP
I do know what a "big one" email looks like (a mate, not me unfortunately), and you do have to call a number.

£1.96m. Lucky get!!
 An email from the National Lottery - Clk Sec
>> Never had a problem

Nor me, until I decided to go elsewhere.
I must be lucky. I can't recall ever having a problem with an ISP that necessitated calling their help line. Come to think of it never had any real problems with banks, energy companies or Insurers or airlines either even though the internet is littered with tales of woe. Must be lucky I guess.

An email from the National Lottery - Robin O'Reliant
>> I must be lucky. I can't recall ever having a problem with an ISP that
>> necessitated calling their help line.
>>
>>
You're not with Talk Talk then?

My switch to Plusnet happens on Wednesday, whatever they might be like their call centre can't be any worse.
You're not with Talk Talk then?

Au contraire - never had any problems, never called the help line. Works fine and cheaper than most.
 An email from the National Lottery - BobbyG
Smokie, is this maybe because you are saying your online account is suspended?
Surely if you get that sorted out then you will be able to access your winning details?
 An email from the National Lottery - Zero
Pfftt Thats Pathetic! 25 quid? I get letters say I have won MILLIONS - MILIIONS I tell you, mostly from Nigeria. I am saving them up for when I retire.
 An email from the National Lottery - Armel Coussine
It wouldn't be my first choice of places to retire to, even with fistfuls of billion-naira alleged winning tickets. A word to the wise I'm sure. The charm of mosquito bites, mud-floored outside showers and khazis under oven-like corrugated iron roofs, with prolonged power cuts and incessant petty theft, wears off after a while even when you're an eager, adventurous and dumb freelance hack.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 9 Nov 14 at 16:05
Latest Forum Posts