Non-motoring > Arcade video games Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 26

Arcade video games - Crankcase
Well, you have to be of a a pretty specific age to really appreciate these, I think, but if you spent any of your youth in video arcades (ok, bye then, 90% of you) you may be interested in this project, that has just gone live.

All free, never heard of most of them, literally hundreds there, and they play in your browser. The work of a team that deserves accolades.

archive.org/details/internetarcade

Arcade video games - No FM2R
1) Outstanding.

2) There goes my morning.
Morning? I've just discovered they've got Defender. DEFENDER.

Right, I shan't be posting here again until that's out of my system. Ciao all.

Arcade video games - VxFan
>> Morning? I've just discovered they've got Defender.

+1 for that. Loved that game too.
 Arcade video games - rtj70
I've had MAME on the PC, Mac or Android phone for years. This is just that emulator rewritten in Java to work in a web browser.
Can't get any of them to work. Must be a work PC related "problem".
 Arcade video games - smokie
Can't see how to start Defender.

They have Galaxians, I loved Galaxians but never got any good at it.
 Arcade video games - Zero
Galaxians! I was a champion at that. The drinking club I used had an expensive table top type.
 Arcade video games - Focusless
>> Can't see how to start Defender.

Glad it's not just me :)
 Arcade video games - WillDeBeest
...if you spent any of your youth in video arcades...

Try shove ha'penny if you want the rest to pay attention.
};---)

I'm resisting clicking because I know what will happen if I do.
>> Try shove ha'penny if you want the rest to pay attention.

Is that the one based on the ITV quiz show?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMKkMyZHQM

:)
>> >> Try shove ha'penny if you want the rest to pay attention.
>>
>> Is that the one based on the ITV quiz show?
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMKkMyZHQM
>>
>> :)

Nope this one

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AEu0Jg9VcA
>> >> >> Try shove ha'penny if you want the rest to pay attention.
>> >>
>> >> Is that the one based on the ITV quiz show?
>> >> www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMKkMyZHQM
>> >>
>> >> :)
>>
>> Nope this one
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AEu0Jg9VcA

Jeez yes - sorry, senior moment (somewhat appropriately)
 Arcade video games - commerdriver
there are lots of computer versions of that one already
You did insert a (virtual) coin? Remember this is emulating the real original arcade machine. A machine expecting you to put money in it.

EDIT: I should add I tried this in Safari earlier on a Mac and it didn't seem to load. I didn't spend anytime investigating because I'm sure Firefox or Chrome might have been better for this. But I have MAME on the Mac.... and lots of games.... and don't play them :-)

Things moved on but this is nostalgia.... And I have a Spectrum emulator and BBC Micro B emulator (someone I knew at uni started that off in the early 90s... clever chap).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 4 Nov 14 at 17:59
 Arcade video games - smokie
Spectrum emulator? I have the Real Thing up in the loft, it gets an airing about once every two years, for quick blast of Jet Set Willy, Horace and the Spiders, Manic Miner and Atic Atac!! I think manic Miner was my favourite.
Ah, BBC basic. I think my very early efforts in basic were something like, and forgive me, I've forgotten the code, so it was something like:

For x=1 to 800
For y=1 to 800
Plot x,y, colour (sin(x)))
Next,

Or words to that effect. Anyway, it was a couple of lines like that and it plotted lovely curves and shapes as you changed the sin to a cos or an arc tan or whatever, and then you could make it a bit more complex, and,and...

It was so accessible, that was the key. Turn it on. Type that in and the word run, and you would be seeing results in under a minute from switch on.

To do the same thing on a PC of today, what do I have to do? Download something, get .net in place, read endless support manuals, unzip a package, make sure Java is working, oh, 14 windows updates are required.....I know, all that is meaningless babble but you know what I mean.
Ahem. Forgot to mention. They also have console games emulated, so if you had an old Atari 2600 and are desperate to play Superman again...

archive.org/details/consolelivingroom
Wonderful as they were, they were of their time. If you have played Call of Duty or GTA with its wonderful graphics, sound effects and story line, going back to repetitive 16 colour blocky graphics with 8 bars of stylaphone sound track is really rather painful.
 Arcade video games - CGNorwich
Never progressed further than Pong.
 Arcade video games - Runfer D'Hills
Had a go at Space Invaders once. Decided life really was too short and haven't bothered much since. Flying Hamsters excepted naturally.
>> If you have played Call of Duty or GTA

You mean this is not as well animated as Jet Pac?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFu5qXMuaJU
 Arcade video games - Armel Coussine
I think I'm too old and too rational to find these games at all easy, especially on a keyboard. but even with a mouse, or a cute little 100-quid games controller thingy, and suspending all rationality, even before I've been playing the thing for five minutes I'm in a state of terminal irritated boredom.

The entire screen filled with hundreds of these damn games looked to me like a picture of hell. Sorry chaps, no offence.
 Arcade video games - Roger.
The only games I play on my laptop are Bookworm & Bubbleshooter - both old hat stuff.
My 10 year old grandson and 8 year old granddaughter play a mean game of Minecraft on the family's, 3 monitor, custom built, hugely powerful and water-cooled, gaming machine built by my son-in-law (REME avionics whizz).
 Arcade video games - Robin O'Reliant
I had FIFA football some years back. I thought I was doing really well at 3-0 up till I realised the team I thought I had been controlling was actually the one played by the computer. Damn confusing trying to remember what all the buttons were supposed to do.
Anyone remember the driving game Out Run?
I used to play at Membury Services back in the late 80s and was highly additive from what I remember. Certainly spent a lot of money playing it anway.
So did I, until I realised it cost me forty eight pounds ninety to get round the first bend. But it was excellent.

My downfall ended to be the original Space Invaders, Space Cobra (Scramble), or a particularly enjoyable tabletop Moon Cresta in The Penguin in Plymouth.
Latest Forum Posts