Non-motoring > Roofing methods Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 17

Roofing methods - bathtub tom
A new, timber framed house has started going up near me. The roof's on, but the ridge tiles aren't bedded on mortar, they've been laid dry. What's to stop rain being blown up under them? The roof tiles are wavy type.
 Roofing methods - John Boy
>> What's to stop rain being blown up under them?
>>
What's to stop them being blown off? I would have thought that was more important. It's not likely to happen this weekend, however, so perhaps it's just temporary.
Last edited by: John Boy on Sat 1 Nov 14 at 16:37
 Roofing methods - Armel Coussine
The ridge tiles have been put in place. Some time soon roofers will go up there and cement them in. Unless you live in some sunny southern clime where tiles are all laid dry.
 Roofing methods - Fullchat
Could be a 'Dry Ridge' system.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vexj-00XK2s

This gets rid of the mortar bed type fixing which eventually gives up the ghost leading to ridge tiles sat on your drive, garden, head, car or someone elses car :(

Also helps roof space ventilation with a flow of air from your sofit vents to the ridge.
 Roofing methods - madf
Just had half our extension reroofed- original ridge tiles laid in mortar..
 Roofing methods - Old Navy
My house has a Marley dry roof system, it has survived 100+ mph winds as have the surrounding houses. My daughters house about half a mile away with a mortar set ridge did not.
This is why:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=24xnYIWtvqk
 Roofing methods - MD
Dry ridge every time.

If we carry out a repair now to a mortared ridge, i.e. one or two loose items, we will 'Glue' the repair if at all possible and possibly apply a false mortar to look like they have been bedded. If our 'Glued' ridge takes off it'll take the tiles or slates with it such is it's strength.
When you say 'glue' what product do you use MD?
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 1 Nov 14 at 21:36
 Roofing methods - MD
Specifically 'Stixall'. That though is from a 'family' of adhesives all of which are similar. They can be used in the wet and will they say, cure under water. I haven't tried that, but I suspect that you would glue above the water then place the item in the drink if required.

The distinct advantage with these adhesives is their ability to cure and stick well in the presence of moisture. This means that when applying the stuff one can dampen the area to 'kill' any dust and ensure a great fix. I'll try and find out the 'family' name. Pay no more than a fiver plus vat. Some places really try and hoik it up.

MD
 Roofing methods - madf
I have used that kind of adhesive. Great in damp conditions..
 Roofing methods - smokie
That's interesting stuff, I have a garden table bought earlier this year which is ceramic tiles and two adjacent tiles have lifted. I'm guessing the base is a plastic. Do you reckon that'd been good stuff for bond the tile back? There is almost definitely going to be damp under it.

It's not this one but it's similar. I think I'll need something which hardens fairly quickly. I also need to find the right grout.

(The table and chairs were £800 on Costco but normally would be about £1600. Because of this issue I got my money back in it's entirety. They had the option of coming out to fix, or replacing. Bit of a result for me!!)
>>www.youtube.com/watch?v=vexj-00XK2s

I can't see the plastic bits between the ridge and roof tiles of this system. I'll try and get a photo.
 Roofing methods - Dave
The roofs here in Sweden just have the 4X2 piece as in the video, with the ridge tiles just sat on top. There's no plastic supports or joining pieces with screws, and no nails, the tiles simply overlap each other. Mine were there for 70 years until I replaced the roof, and the ridge tiles were replaced as was.
Are Swedish roof tiles flat, like slate?

Roofing methods - MD
>> The roofs here in Sweden just have the 4X2 piece as in the video, with
>> the ridge tiles just sat on top. There's no plastic supports or joining pieces with
>> screws, and no nails, the tiles simply overlap each other. Mine were there for 70
>> years until I replaced the roof, and the ridge tiles were replaced as was.
>>
No fixings at all??
 Roofing methods - Lygonos
2 foot of snow keeps them in place?
 Roofing methods - Dave
They're regular wavy concrete tiles, although the end ridge tiles are held in place by the barge board that is a bent piece of tin. I think the idea is that if you let wind and a little water in, then it can get out and dry out.
Latest Forum Posts