Non-motoring > Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 63

Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - henry k
soundcloud.com/egxwinfo-gr-up/qra-warning-from-raf-typhoons-to-mitavia1605-291014

Sonic booms over Kent as the lads went after the target.
Last edited by: henry k on Wed 29 Oct 14 at 18:33
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - R.P.
Guess they had to think twice before going supersonic...
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Zero
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/raf-jets-threaten-shoot-down-4532449

A recording posted online apparently reveals the moment in midair when one of the RAF pilots issued a warning to the crew of the Latvian-owned Antonov that he would shoot it down if it didn't respond.

I was wondering how that worked to a plane with radio failure?
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Bromptonaut
There are processes for interception in the UK AIP, which presumably replicate international protocols:

tinyurl.com/pfk57ku
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - sooty123
there's bits and bobs extra not on that link, but you'd be surprised how many aircrew don't bother changing frequencies or keeping an eye on the radio.

As to the radio not working, you'd be surprised of the effect of (as was) a couple of F3s or Typhoons. They have a sudden and miraculous effect on the serviceability of radios ;-)
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Armel Coussine
I quite like the idea of these two Typhoons lashing across the home counties at 1,000mph and appearing courteously, only minutes later, on either side of a terrified small civil aircraft, throttled back almost to stalling speed and staring disdainfully down.

I think I've just become reactionary with age. I was touched by the incident the other day with the idiot jogger running into the PM. The front heavy missed him until too late, but the two rear ones were very quick, and better still very gentle: the geezer was not roughed up in any serious way. No doubt they will have two in front from now on. Because he got close enough to hurt Cameron if he'd wanted to.

Wouldn't have been like that in most countries. In some you'd never be seen again.
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Duncan
>> I was touched by the incident the other day with the idiot jogger running into the PM.

Something about him said to me, not an idiot, but an attention seeking jogger.
>> not an idiot, but an attention seeking jogger.

Still an idiot in my book, making a non-point.

I suppose the heavies could tell he was harmless on sight. He'd have got well battered in France and perhaps shot in the US, but he still complained that lots of blokes had jumped on him for no reason. Prat.
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - MD
Surely with half a brain you'd avoid a clash just in case the protection over reacted and you became a colander?
Infact this made me wonder if FF has ever had a radio faff ?
Anyone who includes the word "rambo" as a middle name on Facebook is clearly a knob.
Eh?
The BBC reported that the "jogger" took to Facebook to brag/complain...his middle name was quoted as being "rambo"
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - legacylad
A total wazzock. Lucky to get off so lightly.
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Kevin
>A total wazzock. Lucky to get off so lightly.

I agree completely. He's better than Miliband though.
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Lygonos

>> He's better than Miliband though.

Remember the rather unmanly scrap that ensued after Miliband and Cameron crashed into each others bikes?...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eArlm3ukbVs
>> total wazzock.

>> He's better than Miliband though.

Morally better? Better at football? Better at politics? That ranks among the most ridiculous posts here. Knee-jerk bigoted rubbish.
>Morally better? Better at football? Better at politics? That ranks among the most ridiculous posts here.
>Knee-jerk bigoted rubbish

Better sense of humour, AC. Better sense of humour.

Probably less boorish and pompous than some people I could mention too.
>> Better sense of humour.

There wasn't a joke I could see. Just the aunt-sally politician reflex. Boring and silly.
>There wasn't a joke I could see. Just the aunt-sally politician reflex. Boring and silly.

And who exactly made you the arbiter of what is humour and what is boring and silly? Or is it a self-appointed position?
>> And who exactly made you the arbiter

OFFS Kevin, it's just a view, an attitude. That's what this place is for: a place for people to sound off. Others may be laughing like hyenas at the information that you think the leader of the Labour party is 'worse' than that idiot jogger. I just felt like saying I thought it a boring and silly post. What's wrong with that?
>OFFS Kevin, it's just a view, an attitude.

You proclaimed that my post was "Knee-jerk bigoted rubbish." and " Boring and silly."

If you thought that I wouldn't respond to that, then you've chosen the wrong person.

>Others may be laughing like hyenas at the information that you think the leader of the Labour party
>is 'worse' than that idiot jogger.

Let me explain:

legacylad was referring to the jogger when he called him a wazzock. I twisted that to infer that I thought he was referring to Cameron.

At least the Doc seemed to twig.
>> >There wasn't a joke I could see. Just the aunt-sally politician reflex. Boring and silly.
>>
>> And who exactly made you the arbiter of what is humour and what is boring
>> and silly? Or is it a self-appointed position?

The audience is ALWAYS the arbiter of humour. And to be fair, that one does not rank terribly highly on the list of the best joke of all time.
>> to be fair, that one does not rank terribly highly on the list of the best joke of all time.

You won't thank me for thanking you Zero, but thanks.

I'd say to Kevin: I quite often make rude or ill-considered posts here that I then worry about. My rudeness to you was an example of that. Don't FFS take it to heart. You're OK in my book.

Thinks: perhaps I am getting a bit pompous. But sod it.
>The audience is ALWAYS the arbiter of humour.

The 'collective' audience is always the arbiter of humour. Not one self appointed individual.

>And to be fair, that one does not rank terribly highly
>on the list of the best joke of all time.

OK, I'll give you that. Too subtle for some.
>> I'll give you that. Too subtle for some.

Tsk. They never learn.
He got out of bed the wrong side Kevin or his weed was off.
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Old Navy
>> A total wazzock. Lucky to get off so lightly.
>>

I agree, a little "forcible restraint" in these situations when an idiot tries it on would eventually get the message across that the five minutes notoriety is not worth the hospital time.

I was at an open air event a few months ago where Prince Edward and his Mrs were wandering through the great unwashed, apart from the local hangers on a a few coppers dotted about I spotted three discrete armed protection police very close to them.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 31 Oct 14 at 08:10
Missed the edit.

So discrete they were the only people wearing suits and the bulky armpit was a bit of a giveaway. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 31 Oct 14 at 08:16
discrete men always have curly leads hanging out of one ear.
They had earwigs as well. Plus a tiny lapel badge, maybe they all belonged to the same club. :)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 31 Oct 14 at 08:45
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Crankcase
Nearly all men are discrete, unless they are conjoined twins in a jar at the fair. (They still have those at fairs, right?)

Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - WillDeBeest
I spotted three discrete armed protection police very close to them.

Does the Royal Protection Unit discriminate against conjoined triplets, then?
};---)

Damn, should have read to the end. Cranks got there first.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 31 Oct 14 at 10:09
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - rtj70
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh got on the royal train at our local station once. I went along because I was told to get some pictures by my wife.

Anyway before the Queen and everyone in the party arrived, a Range Rover stopped nearby and out got two men in suits who looked very serious and you knew they were probably carrying weapons etc. Very efficient they looked. We were only a few feet from the Queen at one point. I am sure if they noticed someone trying something silly they would have been quick to react.
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - smokie
When I used to commute the M4 Royals were not an unusual sight - Charles off to his country place, at high speed in the fast lane and with a Range Rover absolutely glued to the bumper of his car - even at 70mph +. Also seen the rolling roadblocks around Windsor when there are dignitaries on the move - it's quite a clever operation, with precision timing.

I once managed to come off the M4 to A329M slip road between the car carrying Diana who was taking the kids back to school (Ludgrove, local) and that of their minders. When the car behind started flashing and honking I slowed and let him take my place.

And a few months back I was on the slope at Paddington having an inter-train fag and there was an official car waiting, so I hung around. DC himself came from the train to the car, and as far as I could see there were NO security with him - a couple of the usual coppers with guns were on display but not accompanying.
In the fifties, even well into the sixties, royals had little or no armed protection: remember Princess Anne in the Mall? Her people were unarmed, or unprepared, and she and they were vulnerable. More recently the great and their associates have had tooled-up officers in attendance, but usually very discreet. None of that US secret service stuff, a dozen blokes in shades waving sub-machine guns.

Mrs Cameron, a winsome lady, used to wait for her nipper outside her school, where I was sometimes waiting for granddaughters. I only ever buttonholed famous faces when working (and even then with great reluctance and distaste), but I used to try to identify her heavy or heavies among the other women waiting there.

Never could for sure. Several of the mothers were tough looking, with weighty handbags.

:o}
Cambridge and his Mrs lived within a few miles from here - according to those in the know, they liked it here as it was too far for the hacks to trundle up here on the off-chance of seeing them...they wandered around largely unmolested. I don't like the concept of Royalty but respect that individual members have no choice about an accident of birth and deserve privacy... I believe I encountered him on his Ducati on the A55 one evening, road like a sportsman. We also encountered a convoy of hangers on in "our" woods...that irritated me.
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Runfer D'Hills
I suppose if you're a famous person a motorbike is a clever way of going about your business without being recognised. Helmets and so on.

I might try it, I'm sick of those damn paparazzi.

;-)

>> I might try it, I'm sick of those damn paparazzi.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Posing around in a drug dealers motor can't help. :)
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - Runfer D'Hills
They've even taken to dressing up as children in Halloween costumes and hammering on the door. But I'm on to them.
 Typoon threat to aircraft that diverted to STN - WillDeBeest
You could ask François Hollande how well that motorcycle trick works, RP.
 Typoon busy again - sooty123
uk.news.yahoo.com/raf-fighter-planes-intercept-russian-bombers-122844380.html#STQt9NH
Missed the edit, seems like a follow on from earlier in the week. There's been large scale russian air exercises across NATO from Norway to Turkey.
 Typoon busy again - Old Navy
It is nothing new, it has been going on for decades.
I thought someone might say that ;) Quite a big increase over the last few years though. I bet you'd have to go back pretty far to find an exercise the size has been this week. I don't remember an air exercise from russia this large.
 Typoon busy again - Zero
>> I thought someone might say that ;) Quite a big increase over the last few
>> years though. I bet you'd have to go back pretty far to find an exercise
>> the size has been this week. I don't remember an air exercise from russia this
>> large.

Last month. And the month before. Its true that the Soviets had been quiet in the past few years, but Putin had been cracking it up for a while. Since the annexation of Crimea the bears have been growling at the coast 3 times a week every week. They always do it when they want to appear threatening.
This level of air activity this week, across the whole of Nato, happened last month and the month before?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 1 Nov 14 at 19:14
 Typoon busy again - Zero
It was worse at one point during the hotter parts of the Ukraine Crisis, including soviet ground forces massing on the borders of europe. Passed off as exercises.

This is nothing to worry about, no-one in power is sweating. Unlike 1983
How many more during the recent Ukrainian crisis?

Correct I doubt anyone is flapping too much.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 1 Nov 14 at 19:37
 Typoon busy again - Zero
If you want precise details go talk to AIRCOM in Ramstein.
You could have just said you don't know ;)
 Typoon busy again - Zero
>> You could have just said you don't know ;)

I would have had to kill you if I told you.
>> >> You could have just said you don't know ;)
>>
>> I would have had to kill you if I told you.
>>

Sure thing chief.
 Typoon busy again - Armel Coussine
>> How many more during the recent Ukrainian crisis?

The 'crisis' deliberately provoked by western elements you mean, the one which made Putin look entirely reasonable when he annexed Crimea (which has always been Russia's anyway) and has left him smiling like a Cheshire cat while the west faffs moronically about? That 'crisis' you mean? Personally I think the less it's mentioned the better.
 Typoon busy again - Runfer D'Hills
I remember being on holiday in Cyprus with some friends a few days before the first Gulf war kicked off. One of my pals was ex army and I clearly remember him remarking that there were far more than usual military aircraft about and that something was probably afoot.

Well, of course he was right.
Well that's one way of looking at it AC.
Didn't you notice sooty? It was pretty obvious.
Notice that people viewed it differently? Of course happens all the time.
>> people viewed it differently? Of course happens all the time.

I don't think most people had a proper view of it at all. They just swallowed the unanimous, overbearing media garbage. That's what comes through here. It's as if nothing had changed since 1963.
Well unless you are privvy to int. then most people are stuck with what the media tell them.

1963, you'll have to help me out with that one.
>> privvy to int. then most people are stuck with what the media tell them.

You have to distinguish between what the media are really telling you factually and what their owners and bosses want you to believe. You have to know how to read a paper and interpret allegations on radio and TV. If you can't, you're just a helpless citizen.

I don't want to bore people by going through this Ukraine carp again. We thrashed it out here at the time (I did anyway).

In 1963 there was still the cold war. Not everyone swallowed it whole however. Then as now, the leaders on both sides understood each other very well, but it suited them to pretend to the great unwashed that they were at each other's throats. You have to read between the lines.
Well I suppose so, most people would let the media wash over them.

Now you mention it I think I vaguely remember the chat on here, can't remember if I posted or not, doubt I agreed with all of your conclusions but so is life.

'63 was before my time really.
>> '63 was before my time really.

You cool though.

:o}
I feel honoured AC, I'd like to thank; my manager, parents, wife...

:)
Latest Forum Posts