Non-motoring > Orange to EE Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 14

Orange to EE - MD
Poss' one for Zero.

'phone contract time again. Currently have sim only with Orange. We are moving to EE as the 'deal' is the same on both EXCEPT the price. I have an earlyish I-phone 4. Apparently some early I-phone 4 models won't accept an EE sim card, but EE will unlock it foc. 'er indoors has a 4s direct from Apple and is unlocked as far as I know. EE states that it 'should' accept their sim. Will it then lock to EE or not? Does anybody know?

Thanks in anticipation.

MD
 Orange to EE - Boxsterboy
EE is Orange and vice versa, so they must be able to swap sims, if that is what you want.

I recently went from a dead Orange 4S to a new EE 5S for £179 plus less than half the monthly cost (was paying £60-ish on Orange Racoon, now paying £24 for a 4GB monthly plus unlimited calls and texts). Made sense to me.

I think EE are trying to phase out the Orange and T-Mobile 'brands' by persuading people to change to plans like this.
 Orange to EE - henry k
>> I think EE are trying to phase out the Orange and T-Mobile 'brands' by persuading
>> people to change to plans like this.
>>
SWMBO and I are on a an historic Virgin / Orange deal for our low tec phones.
I sometimes get " you are on " on the best tariff" messages :-)
We have contracts that have zero monthly charges so we just pay for calls/texts
Downside is we are stuck with Orange.
 Orange to EE - No FM2R
No. An unlocked phone will NOT auto lock to any network.
 Orange to EE - Zero
You are not really moving, you are changing a contract but technically staying with the same carrier,. You may have to have your early iPhone unlocked but it will be fine with any carrier, and as mark says they wont "lock" you again.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 29 Oct 14 at 16:53
 Orange to EE - Robin O'Reliant
>> No. An unlocked phone will NOT auto lock to any network.
>>
There was an item on this on R4's You and Yours on Monday. Apparently even unlocked phones which initially use an EE sim will lock to that network. I think it may only be phones supplied by Carphone Warehouse and both them and EE were trying to sort it out between them.
 Orange to EE - No FM2R
I wonder if this is a confusion between SIM-Free and Unlocked?

Ofcom will have something to say if EE is trying to lock unlocked phones, and double that if the phone is not supplied by EE.
 Orange to EE - Zero
>> >> No. An unlocked phone will NOT auto lock to any network.
>> >>
>> There was an item on this on R4's You and Yours on Monday. Apparently even
>> unlocked phones which initially use an EE sim will lock to that network.

As I said you can't "LOCK" a phone to a given network once it been unlocked, however you can "BLOCK" a given phone from a given network at any time. Knowing earphone wirehouse they are probably trying to sell a punter O2 locked phones (because they get a bigger discount) to work on EE.
 Orange to EE - MD
Thanks to all. Trying to get a consistent/straight answer from any of these Bas wads is like trying to find rocking Horse poo.
 Orange to EE - Falkirk Bairn
IIRC ALL NEW Carphone Warehouse supplied phones are UNLOCKED as standard - cuts down on overall no of phones they have to carry - eminently sensible from their & customer point of view.
 Orange to EE - R.P.
My O2 contract phone could be unlocked from new...! I moved to 3 couple of months ago for the first time ever my phone actually works properly. I have unlimited data and unlimited tethering all for £20.00 a month. 3G is almost everywhere I care to go even in this forgotten neck of the woods. I even got 4G when I was over the border a few weeks ago....brilliant.
 Orange to EE - MD
My Daughter and SIL are on 3. They have no complaints either. Who do 3 piggyback?
 Orange to EE - zippy
>> Who do 3 piggyback?

No one. 3 have their own network (Hutchinton Telecommunications).

Orange to EE - CGNorwich
" 3G is almost everywhere I care to go even in this forgotten neck of the woods."

Not like rural Norfolk then but to be fair not a loss worse than every other network.

I'm with 3. Their 321 PAYG is about the cheapest out there with no time limit on credit
 Orange to EE - Fursty Ferret
>> My O2 contract phone could be unlocked from new...! I moved to 3 couple of
>> months ago for the first time ever my phone actually works properly. I have unlimited
>> data and unlimited tethering all for £20.00 a month. 3G is almost everywhere I care
>> to go even in this forgotten neck of the woods. I even got 4G when
>> I was over the border a few weeks ago....brilliant.
>>

What he said.

Also, free roaming across a big chunk of the world.
Latest Forum Posts