Non-motoring > Alvin Stardust dies... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 32

Alvin Stardust dies... - No FM2R

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11182106/Alvin-Stardust-dies-after-short-illness.html

1) Shame, always seemed a pleasant bloke.

2) HE WAS 72??? Who knew!
 Alvin Stardust dies... - VxFan
Wow!

Haven't heard about him for years. Trying to remember the one and only 7" vinyl I bought of his (and looking at some of his songlist still hasn't given me a clue)

RIP.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Pat
He used to be Shane Fenton and the Fentones.

Pat
 Alvin Stardust dies... - madf
Never heard of him.

Alvin Stardust dies... - Manatee
>> Never heard of him.

Impossible, Shirley?

I mean, I couldn't have hummed one of his tunes or told you what he looked like, but his name is very familiar as one associated with, er, beat music of some kind.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - madf
>> >> Never heard of him.
>>
>> Impossible, Shirley?
>>
>> I mean, I couldn't have hummed one of his tunes or told you what he
>> looked like, but his name is very familiar as one associated with, er, beat music
>> of some kind.
>>

Heard of him. He was carp. So I ignored him.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - RattleandSmoke
I knew of him but not familiar with much of his music, apart from Bowie and T-rex, the early 70's is probably the era I am least familiar with.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Armel Coussine
I've heard of him too Sheikha, and I too think of him as one of those silver-faced chaps with a lot of eye shadow, wearing principal-boy suede bootees and tights. But I can't stand that sort of music, insipid and lugubrious pretentious scheisss... Sex Pistols are a hundred times better. Let alone proper rock and blues bands, or almost anything actually even the Cheeky Girls. Not them quite perhaps, but you know what I mean.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Fenlander
>>> Sex Pistols are a hundred times better

Having just listened to a "never played" original Never Mind The Bow Lucks LP for the purposes of grading I'd beg to differ.... not that I was an Alvin, Glitter, Bolan, Sweet type fan back in the day either.

I was though slightly keen as a 16yr old on the look of Ms De Paul who also died recently at only 65 (ish).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQLGXJAUek

If it's been mentioned and I missed it... as you were.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 27 Oct 14 at 15:20
>> Having just listened to a "never played" original Never Mind The Bow Lucks LP for the purposes of grading I'd beg to differ.... not that I was an Alvin, Glitter, Bolan, Sweet type fan back in the day either.

The Pistols sounded rough on purpose. 'Punk is Xerox music' as a friend of mine memorably said. You had to have the idea, then you could sort of enjoy it. Really I much preferred that Blockheads chap Ian Dury who was a considerable poet.

Never much liked any of those easy-on-the-eye female witterers. I liked looking at them but the music was boring when not downright annoying. That rough alcoholic and drugger from Galveston... now she could sing, proper blues. And many a black chick of course. Tin Pan Alley was about as sexist as you could get, a plain girl didn't have much of a chance. Or a plain boy come to that.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Cliff Pope
>> He used to be Shane Fenton and the Fentones.
>>

It says here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Stardust

Born Bernard Jewry, he wasn't the original Shane Fenton, but stepped into his shoes on Fenton's death aged 17, and at his mother's request took on the name Shane Fenton.

He later reinvented himself again as Alvin Stardust.

Alvin Stardust dies... - Focusless
'Bout time for link:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Y93Qucbt0

I could easily have hummed you that. I think AC's description is a bit off the mark; while part of glam rock I don't think he fell into the 'silver-faced chaps with a lot of eye shadow, wearing principal-boy suede bootees and tights' mould.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - BiggerBadderDave
I kept seeing him in the photography department of Staffordshire Poly/Uni. I was taking photography as part of the graphic design degree, he was there occasionally and his portrait photos were scattered around. I've no idea why he was there, perhaps he was a friend of the tutor or posing for the students. That was about 28 years ago...
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Pat
He was a bit of a 'soft' rock version of Gene Vincent.

Memories: Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Billy Fury and of course Elvis.

All part of my teenage years.

Pat
 Alvin Stardust dies... - CGNorwich
www.tellyads.com/play_advert/?filename=VA0849&advertiser=Green%20Cross%20Code&type=vintage
 Alvin Stardust dies... - CGNorwich
and the Green Cross Code man.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Harleyman
One of the better known Old Southwellians; I am merely one of the more notorious. :-)

It wasn't fashionable to listen to his music of course, but he always came across as a likeable sort on telly; apparently he was well regarded in the business as a decent bloke.

Pretty much kept going to the end too; he did his last live gig on Saturday night.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - rtj70
>> One of the better known Old Southwellians

Speak for yourself :-)

A schoolfriend (not seen them since 1987!) said his mother had dated Alvin Stardust. Probably not calling himself then.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - R.P.
He seemed to be a pretty decent bloke despite being in the trade. He had a bit part in The Grimleys which entertained me greatly at the time. I remember him and I remember his songs.
>> He seemed to be a pretty decent bloke despite being in the trade.

He found God, albeit on a train:
www.christiantoday.com/article/alvin.stardust.glam.rocker.who.found.god.on.a.train.journey.dies.aged.72/42077.htm

although strangely can't see any mention of religion in his Wiki entry:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Stardust
 Alvin Stardust dies... - J Bonington Jagworth
I'd forgotten how much he looked like Ian McShane in Lovejoy!

The only thing I really remember about AS is that he was married to Liza Goddard. I was jealous for quite a long time...

Alvin Stardust dies... - rtj70
And with him dying, his new album is going to do better than it might have for his beneficiaries. I'm not saying he did it on purpose! Just saying.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 24 Oct 14 at 17:09
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Roger.
i heard of him (vaguely) many moons ago. couldn't picture him, or recognise any of his songs.
>> couldn't picture him, or recognise any of his songs.

Nor could I, and although I remembered he was essentially overdressed, I got the mode slightly wrong.

Could I have confused him with his brother Ziggy (there can't be a lot of Stardust families so it's a safe bet)? Surely Ziggy had spangles on his face and was epicene?
>> Could I have confused him with his brother Ziggy

Excellent :)

I was 9 when 'My Coo Ca Choo' charted in 1973, and an avid watcher of Top of the Pops (along with the rest of the family). I remember a lot of the acts from that period with some fondness eg. Mud, The Sweet, Slade - they had the sort of image and songs that appealed to young kids. Probably had less appeal to adults, especially if they were into 'proper' music.

The deceased wasn't really in the same league as the groups mentioned above, but he definitely made an impression.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - No FM2R
I saw Mud and The Sweet perform together in Oxford, it must have been around 1990 I think. Perhaps a year or two earlier.

Les Gray was drunk as a skunk, and everybody's performance had suffered with age. But it was a damned good evening.
>> I saw Mud and The Sweet perform together in Oxford,

Thanks - just watching old Mud ToTP youtube performances on the TV now. You can see they were having a great time, tongues firmly in cheeks, but putting on a great show. And Chinn/Chapman wrote some cracking tunes.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5DMbZuIA4A

EDIT: I know - that one's not ToTP
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 24 Oct 14 at 22:29
 Alvin Stardust dies... - R.P.
I hated them with a vengeance when I was a kid (Sweet and Slade) but I certainly grew to appreciate SLade's stuff especially Noddy Holder and his acoustic versions
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Runfer D'Hills
I played a bit of ice hockey when I was a teenager. Our coach used to put stuff like Sweet's Blockbuster on really loud on the tannoy system while we were training. He reckoned it would increase our aggression. It certainly annoyed me. Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild was another one too. I can't hear them to this day without thinking of an ice rink. We were a bit crap so I dont think it worked by the way. Fun though.
>> >> The Sweet, Slade - they had the sort of image and songs that appealed to young kids
>>
>> I hated them with a vengeance when I was a kid (Sweet and Slade)

Ha - shows how much I know! So if you don't mind me asking, what was the young RP into?
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Runfer D'Hills
"I fought the law and the law won"

Presumably.

;-)
...and anything on Two-Tone, being a mod.
 Alvin Stardust dies... - Harleyman
>> I saw Mud and The Sweet perform together in Oxford, it must have been around
>> 1990 I think. Perhaps a year or two earlier.
>>
>> Les Gray was drunk as a skunk, and everybody's performance had suffered with age. But
>> it was a damned good evening.
>>

I recall a lovely story about Les Gray and Brian Connolly, lead singer of the Sweet; probably from around that time. Gray apparently suffered terribly from psoriasis, and Connolly, a heavy drinker, had DT's. The pair were apparently known as "Shake and Vac".
Latest Forum Posts