Non-motoring > Tesco shares - Volume 1   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 138

Tesco shares - Volume 1 - Crankcase

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

Bad news after bad news. Even Warren Buffet has sold. Profits down. Management sacked. Disaster at every turn. Share price down.

Is now a good time to buy and hang on for five years, contrary to Buffet?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 23 Apr 15 at 10:17

Tesco - shares - WillDeBeest
Almost certainly. I hope my pension fund manager is having the same thought.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping the 'don't run off to Waitrose' sweeteners to 'loyal' customers will keep coming. A Hudl 2 ought to to it - for now.

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> Almost certainly.

NOT

Tesco is locked into the wrong model, the large out of town one stop supermarket is no longer the preferred choice of consumers, you can cut prices and tempt shoppers all you want, but all 5 are int he same boat, and with such a huge investment in sites and property they are saddled with them. Its delivered and performed poorly with Tesco.com.

It will not turn this lot round in 5 years, its been failing for the last three and only just realised it.

Tesco - shares - PeterS
I'm with Z - wrong sized stores in the wrong location, with far too high an overhead base. UK food retailing has been changing quickly for the last few years, and Tesco have missed the boat. Their market share, while not quite in free fall, is only going one way...
Last edited by: PeterS on Thu 23 Oct 14 at 09:11

Tesco - shares - PeterS
Oh, and a raft of disgruntled employees!! Www.verylittlehelps.com ;-)

Tesco - shares - Ambo
See

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/epic/tsco/11180599/Five-reasons-not-to-buy-Tesco-shares.html

Todays forecast yield at £4.20 is about 4%, somewhat better than the FTSE 100 overall.

Tesco - shares - legacylad
Like trying to catch a falling knife.....

Tesco - shares - PeterS
The interim dividend has already been cut by 75% I think. I don't see the divs returning to their previous level for some time - their underlying H1 profits are down almost 50%, and that's before they've started responding to the price pressure from the discounters in a particularly aggressive way. I reckon the new CEO is going to have to take swathes of overhead out of Cheshunt and fund an aggressive price campaign. Both will cost cash in the short term,though the first will deliver savings quite quickly. So little cash to fund divs I reckon...

Might be worth a speculative flutter for a dead cat bounce of some kind, but as a long term investment...not for me

Tesco - shares - madf
READ THIS AND WALK AWAY..

tinyurl.com/lfb2u83

Edit and their Balance Sheet is full of buildings.. useful only for supermarkets..
Last edited by: madf on Thu 23 Oct 14 at 09:43

Tesco - shares - Bromptonaut
One of the newspapers' tipsters suggested Sainsbury, whose shares have also fallen steeply, had good medium term prospects. Like the article above, they thought Tesco to be in bargepole territory.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 23 Oct 14 at 09:46

Tesco - shares - Crankcase
Thanks guys. I reckon 10k in them would be an excellent choice then.

Is there an icon for sticking out your tongue? :)

(I should add at this point I no more have 10k floating about than fly to the moon, so it's all hypothetical.)

Tesco - shares - madf
Profit warnings usually come in threes.

Stage 1 is when they have to tell the truth.
Stage 2 is when they realise things are worse than they thought.

Stage 3 is when they are forced to confront reality, write down assets, sell businesses and make huge changes.

Tesco is at Stage 1..

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> Profit warnings usually come in threes.
>>
>> Stage 1 is when they have to tell the truth.
>> Stage 2 is when they realise things are worse than they thought.
>>
>> Stage 3 is when they are forced to confront reality, write down assets, sell businesses
>> and make huge changes.
>>
>> Tesco is at Stage 1..

in testco case you missed out stage 0.5 "You tell lies"

Tesco - shares - Roger.
Tesco is actually at stage 2.

>> Tesco is actually at stage 2.

Indeedy:

www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/23/tesco-profits-black-hole-bigger

Tesco - shares - Cliff Pope

>> Tesco is locked into the wrong model, the large out of town one stop supermarket
>> is no longer the preferred choice of consumers,
>>

www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/supermarkets/11180181/How-we-fell-out-of-love-with-the-big-weekly-supermarket-shop.html

Tesco - shares - Fursty Ferret
>> >> Almost certainly.
>>
>> NOT
>>
>>
>> Tesco is locked into the wrong model, the large out of town one stop supermarket
>> is no longer the preferred choice of consumers, you can cut prices and tempt shoppers
>> all you want, but all 5 are int he same boat, and with such a
>> huge investment in sites and property they are saddled with them. Its delivered and performed
>> poorly with Tesco.com.
>>
>> It will not turn this lot round in 5 years, its been failing for the
>> last three and only just realised it.
>>

What Zero said. Tesco is a prime example of a company past its prime and lacking the courage to change. Poorer quality products, dodgy pricing and offers (though all the big 5 do this), and a general attitude of treating their customers as inconvenient trespassers in the stores while they run internet shopping from the same place.

Tesco (and Sainsburys, and Morrisons) are on a slippery slope downhill. I suspect that Asda will weather things without too much hassle. I shop in Aldi and grab the occasional "luxury" item in M&S.

Though I'm surprised M&S are still going. Been saying for years they ought to ditch the clothing side and keep the posh food. Meal for two came to £18 the other day, so if they can get people to pay that on a regular basis they're hardly going to struggle.

Tesco - shares - rtj70
>> Meal for two came to £18 the other day,

Dine in for £10 has some nice food we like at times at M&S. Now it runs Wednesday to Tuesday when it's on. It was originally Fri-Mon. So they must do okay from it.

The nice bottle of red we had on Wednesday last week is normally £7 in M&S. Even if it was £4 then the rest of the deal is still good value.

Tesco - shares - Duncan
>> Almost certainly. I hope my pension fund manager is having the same thought.

Almost certainly not. I hope my pension fund manager isn't being so daft!

>> Meanwhile, I'm hoping the 'don't run off to Waitrose' sweeteners to 'loyal' customers will keep coming. A Hudl 2 ought to to it - for now.

I think the sweeteners will be for the 'don't run off to Aldi' customers, but it's already too late.

I got out of Tesco shares in September 2012. Even then I left it longer than I should . When Leahy (sp?) went, that was the time to go.

Tesco - shares - rtj70
>> When Leahy (sp?) went, that was the time to go.

Leahy was in charge during the expansion years and they did well. And then I think the market changed and their model was wrong. So he left just in time before it started going wrong.

I'm not blaming him as such - when they were into building huge supermarkets the market was different.

But I think they were also arrogant. They built the Tesco Extra in Stockport bigger than planned. To be accurate, they built it with a bigger storeroom than the plans had. Compromise is not being able to use all of the store. The alternative was demolition and loss of many jobs.

Tesco - shares - Manatee
I try not to buy individual shares because the risk is invariably higher than perceived. I broke my own rule with Barclays and Tesco and I am in the hole with both. When Tesco dropped from 380 to ~300 it was hard to resist - good yield, phenomenal market position, and (apparently) a well managed business.

It's really annoying when you did know better!

Barclays will come right I think. Tesco is moving into a new phase (painfully) of lower net margins, which means its value will not meaningfully recover in my opinion. I am just looking for the best price to get out at and take the hit.

It happened in electricals.
 Tesco - shares - henry k
Up to date info

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29735685

Tesco shares closed the day 6.5% down after the firm announced that profits have been overstated by £263m.

That is up from an initial estimate made last month of £250m.

Lots more in the link

And an example of why customers are confused/dismayed.

A few weeks ago Tyskie lager was on special offer at 3 for £10 on four packs. Offer ended and it reverted to £5 per four pack - about what you'd expect. Pop in again today (passing after a trip to B&Q to return faulty laminate floorin) and it's £5.99.

Nina in the village has it for £5.78 but with some other offer too that she's not yet got programmed into till resulting in me being given one free when I buy 6.

Tesco - shares - No FM2R
I don't think Tesco shares are a good buy right now, but I think they will be before much longer. Certainly a good short to medium term bet, the long term is less clear.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 23 Oct 14 at 19:03

Tesco - shares - mikeyb

>> But I think they were also arrogant. They built the Tesco Extra in Stockport bigger
>> than planned. To be accurate, they built it with a bigger storeroom than the plans
>> had. Compromise is not being able to use all of the store. The alternative was
>> demolition and loss of many jobs.
>>

IIRC they went through a bit of a phase of deliberately building stores 10% bigger than the planning allowed. If caught out by the planners they just said it was a mistake and then threatened to tie the local councils up in massive legal battles if they pursued the case.

Most (if not all) walked as they didnt have the balls to pursue it

>> Most (if not all) walked as they didnt have the balls to pursue it

Even if they've got the balls it'd be a brave Borough Solicitor and/or Chief Exec who'd chance the taxpayers money. Not just their own costs if they lose but those of Tesco's legal A Team as well.

Tesco - shares - Zero

>> IIRC they went through a bit of a phase of deliberately building stores 10% bigger
>> than the planning allowed. If caught out by the planners they just said it was
>> a mistake and then threatened to tie the local councils up in massive legal battles
>> if they pursued the case.

Along with land banking, buying up and running down other retail footage, bullying suppliers, A throughly despicable company.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 24 Oct 14 at 01:14

Tesco - shares - Alastairw
Stockport stood up to them (and turned Ikea down!). Eventually got a free town centre bus service funded by Tesco in return for letting them use the whole shop floor.

>> Stockport stood up to them (and turned Ikea down!).

Northampton managed that one too. Now we have to trek to Bletchley.

Tesco - shares - rtj70
>> Stockport stood up to them (and turned Ikea down!). Eventually got a free town centre bus
>> service funded by Tesco in return for letting them use the whole shop floor.

Not quite correct. The left most side of the store as you enter is a false wall to block off the space. This takes away the space they have extra in the store room. The shop floor is smaller than when it opened.

We still got the bus* and the funding was time limited but I think they extended it. I suppose it's in Tesco's interest.

* We tried it for the first time ever in the summer. Parked at the Tesco (shopped there later) and went into Stockport. We should have walked as it would have been quicker. We ended up curious which route it was going to take :-) We walked back to the store/car.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 23 Oct 14 at 21:16

Tesco - shares - BobbyG
>> Along with land banking, buying up and running down other retail footage, bullying suppliers, A throughly despicable company.

This is what Tesco did in Linwood - taken from the Scotsman newspaper

SUPERMARKET giant Tesco has been forced to admit it used a local property company as cover to buy a shopping centre that was then allowed to fall into near dereliction to make way for a "Tesco Town" development.

• At first, local people were delighted when it was revealed Tesco, led by Sir Terry Leahy, pictured, was taking over the site

Linwood town centre, in Renfrewshire, was bought by Balmore Properties in 2001 in a 1.7 million deal and fell into decline over the next six years before Tesco stepped in as a "knight in shining armour" and snapped up the site.

Community leaders claim that, under Balmore, dozens of shops were closed as it ruthlessly evicted retailers for minor misdemeanours – and refused shopkeepers' requests to have their leases extended. The precinct became blighted with derelict shops and graffiti-covered walls, and plagued by antisocial behaviour from local gangs.

When Tesco appeared, promising a multi-million-pound superstore, new health centre and library – all paid for by the retailer – the residents of Linwood were delighted to welcome an organisation with the financial firepower to invest in their town.

But it has emerged that Tesco, far from being Linwood's saviour, had actually been involved in the centre throughout its years of decline.

The news that Balmore, run by Edinburgh-based entrepreneur Dallas Rhodes, was a front company acting on behalf of the retail giant has sparked anger among local residents.

Critics claim that Tesco intentionally let the centre fall into a state of disrepair, paving the way for a positive community response to its plans for the area.

"It had been run down by Balmore for a long time, then Tesco came in like a knight in shining armour and said they were going to fix it," said Anne Hall, who represents Linwood on West Renfrewshire Council. "It was all a con."

In 2006, local MSP Wendy Alexander launched a petition to "boot out Balmore", calling for a massive regeneration in Linwood. The result was the Tesco acquisition.

"From 2001, Balmore's stewardship was simply a disgrace, following on from years of neglect," she said. "Balmore repeatedly refused to meet community or elected representatives.

"In 2005 and 2006, when I and many in the community were actively looking for a major retailer to step in and assist the regeneration of the town, the Tesco representatives who came forward and met the community, set up the Love Linwood site and held regeneration meetings, gave no indication to the community of any longstanding relationship with Balmore. They should have done so."

When a group of Tesco executives first drove into the run-down community three years ago, they were greeted with a sound not usually associated with supermarket developments – that of tumultuous applause.

"I am not used to people clapping," a representative of the firm was reported as saying, at a time when scores of other communities were fighting against the rapid expansion of Britain's biggest retailer, amid fears for future of locally owned shops.

The firm that acquired Linwood town centre in 2001 – and sold it on to Tesco six years later for a similar sum – was a new development company called Balmore Properties. Mr Rhodes, the man behind the firm, already owned a string of property firms including Rosemount Properties, headquartered in Glasgow. But Balmore was different.

Mr Rhodes, who is known in the property community as a low-profile developer and often worked on behalf of other firms, had already been approached by Tesco officials to buy the land on the supermarket's behalf – and operate the centre until it was ready to put forward a detailed plan. "It is common for Tesco to use an agent and secure land," a spokesman for Tesco admitted. "Balmore Properties was an agent for Tesco at that time."

It is thought to be common practice that Tesco uses agents to make initial acquisitions of land to ensure a lower price, before later buying it from the agent.

"This is a complex but important town centre regeneration scheme which, by its nature, can take a long time to pull together and get through the planning process," the Tesco spokesman added. "However, we shared our plans at the earliest opportunity with the community.

"No other developers or retailers have expressed an interest in Linwood in years and it is only Tesco's plans which will bring the change and regeneration which will attract shoppers and business back to Linwood."

Property experts say the retailer would have used a front company to ensure the cheapest possible price. "If you've got someone like Tesco or Sainsbury's looking at a site, as soon as a brand like that comes in, people start to double or triple their prices overnight," one Glasgow property insider said. "A lot of major developers will have companies they use to front a deal.

"The core thing here is what was the intention of Tesco from the outset. It is more that they orchestrated the run-down of the asset, so it meant it was a no-brainer for them to walk in and save the day. I haven't heard of anything of this level of skulduggery before."

Residents claim the previous owner, Tyne & Wear-based Ellison & Co, had attracted tenants for almost every unit in the centre, which at the time, boasted a hairdresser, dentist, post office and Chinese restaurant.

"There were only a couple of shops out of 30 or so which were not filled," said Iain Wilson, secretary of Linwood Community Council. "When Balmore first came in, there was talk that they might try to get a supermarket in and I was one of the people who was opposed to that."

He criticised the way the centre had been managed by Balmore. "Any resident who was just a wee bit behind on his rent was evicted and no leases were renewed, even if the shopkeeper really wanted to stay on," he said.

"Six years later, when Tesco put their proposals to us, I spoke with the feeling of most of my community – that anything would be better than what we had. I welcomed them." Mr Wilson was even featured in a promotional video for Tesco's Linwood plans, a decision he now regrets. "I'm just a wee bit disappointed in them," he said. "We believed that Balmore Properties was an independent company. We knew they would probably sell the centre on at some point, but we didn't realise they were working on behalf of a specific supermarket."

Documents filed with Companies House at the time of Balmore's incorporation in 2000 suggest a link to the supermarket. Unlike Mr Rhodes's other companies, the law firm behind the incorporation was Glasgow-based Semple Fraser, which has acted on behalf of Tesco for more than 15 years.

Mr Rhodes was listed as a director of a string of disparate property companies, including Rosemount Properties, founded 21 years ago, and Camerson. According to Companies House, he is a director of 12 firms, while a number of others have been wound up. The Scotsman was yesterday unable to contact him.

Tesco's plans include a community hall, library and health centre, as well as a store and space for a number of smaller retailers. But the discovery earlier this year of a Victorian crypt underneath the site has delayed work on the project.

Tesco - shares - henry k
For many years they have been sitting on a big empty site at Tolworth on the A3 near Surbiton)
All sorts of goings on with the council but now they have dropped all those plans and its going to be housing instead.

We are several miles from the nearest large Tescos. a little surprising in the London area?
New Malden, Leatherhead, Sunbury, Feltham x 2 Hatton Cross, Twickenham, Molesey Brooklands
I find their store locator is a little confusing between extra and superstore
The nearest is 3 miles away and I have never been there.
We live in what seems to be a big void in their coverage which is why they were so intent at building ot Tolworth.

We are also three miles from larger Sainsburys. With Asda miles away I will stick with mainly Waitrose/ Lidl. as all the previous are a hassle unless I am passing by.
There has to be a big voucher to tempt me far :-)

Tesco - shares - movilogo
I think this is a sign of changing times for UK supermarkets.

Not only Tesco's sales falling but so do all other supermarkets. Aldi & Lidl are privately run companies so I'd keep them out of this model.

Consumers can't be conned any more (at least as easily till so far) with juggling prices and confusing offers (always in favor of retailers).

The UK retail model is based on making people buy luring them to believe they are getting good deals rather than based on what consumers need to buy!

Phones4U has shutdown. Previously Comet and Best Buy failed too. Now Sainsbury's, Morrisons etc. all having reduced sales figures. Dixons group is trying to survive by merging with Carphone Warehouse.

If you look at outside Europe and N. America, especially in Asia, retailers are not so powerful there. People buy directly from manufacturers/farmers there.

Supermarkets favor large stores because it is more cost effective for them. But for consumers, it is more confusing (I don't need 38 types of cornflakes for example), more time taking, more stressful. Aldi and Lidl are winning on this aspect because their offers are usually straightforward, you can still park your car there and finish shopping in super quick time (except Saturday afternoon when my local Lidl/Aldi are packed like rush hour tube in London).
Last edited by: movilogo on Sat 25 Oct 14 at 21:55

Tesco - shares - zippy
I went to Tesco today to get a large monthly shop in.

In one aisle, I wanted to get at some products but a group of about 4 or 5 male members of staff were just standing there chatting with one of those big cages filled with cardboard. The conversation was personal.

I tried to get at the shelves several times and even asked if they would mind moving but they carried on chatting and ignored me!

Result: left the store. They lost a sale of about £300 as it was a large shop which included some Xmas gifts.

No wonder they are suffering!

Tesco - shares - henry k
>>. Aldi and Lidl .....you can still park your car there and finish shopping in super quick time (except Saturday afternoon when my local Lidl/Aldi are packed like rush hour tube in London).
>>
I have given up trying to park in my nearest AldI so it is pay in a multi storey and park or...
I new Aldi is being built that is closer so I will see what that is like.

My nearest ( a new build) Lidl is getting a pain to park in at any time so less inclined to visit it.

Aldi always has a long check out queue so unless it is a super must have item then I give it a miss.
They are not getting much business from me. A couple of years ago I was buying tools, flowers and fish from them but the fish is no longer stocked in either store so all that tempts me is chocolate ( thanks to Cadbury) in Lidl.

Tesco - shares - Zero
Check out queues in Aldi are appalling, and round here so is the parking. Not much better in Lidl

>> Check out queues in Aldi are appalling, and round here so is the parking. Not
>> much better in Lidl

They can look appalling but because the operatives work much faster than in conventional supermarkets they also move fast. Also, at least at the three stores within striking distance of home, they open extra tills as soon as queue is more than a trolley length back from the end of the conveyor.

Miss B worked for them for a few weeks in August/September. The whole till thing is designed around fast throughput. Barcodes are printed several times on each item so there's no fiddling looking for code and there's a correct way to scan so that items pass from one hand to the other - arms should not cross. She found it hard work and, while ostensibly base in Plymouth, they got her working in stores from Exeter to Launceston. Paid mileage and travel time too.

She would happily have stayed but was offered job with Blood Transfusion Service which she'd applied for at same time as Aldi. Better pay, more to what she wants to do and hours can be flexed round doing a Masters.

Tesco - shares - sooty123
Can't comment on Aldi queues, as I've only been a couple of times. Although at Lidl it can be busy theres one about 15 miles from us, normally we go when it's quiet. However one time we popped in on a weekend, it was like bedlam. Car park filled to bursting. Made me thankful we aren't restricted to weekends for shopping.

Tesco - shares - Duncan
>> I new Aldi is being built that is closer so I will see what that
>> is like.

Where's that henry?

>> My nearest ( a new build) Lidl is getting a pain to park in at
>> any time so less inclined to visit it.

Is that the one down from the Ace of Spades? (Chessington?)

>> Aldi always has a long check out queue so unless it is a super must
>> have item then I give it a miss.

I find the Aldi in Walton is normally pretty good. I often call in there in the evening after my £7.50 steak and pint in Wetherspoons across the road on Tuesday's. It's easy to park and shop at Aldi either before 10 in the morning or after 7 in the evening.

I recommend Aldi luxury fruit and nut muesli.

Tesco - shares - henry k
>> >> A new Aldi is being built......
>>
On the south side of the A240 Kingston Road just beyond Ruxley Lane.
So viai Tolworth.

>> >> My nearest ( a new build) Lidl is..
>> Is that the one down from the Ace of Spades? (Chessington?)
>>
Yes. ( I ignore the tiny orrible old grotty one in the middle of Kingston)
>
>> I find the Aldi in Walton is normally pretty good.
>>
My visits to Walton are at "normal" times.
>> I used to recommend Aldi & or Lidl Sea Bass but I can now buy it in Waitrose.
>>

Tesco - shares - Zero

>> My visits to Walton are at "normal" times.
>> >> I used to recommend Aldi & or Lidl Sea Bass but I can now
>> buy it in Waitrose.
>> >>

The Lidl at Leatherhead is not bad, recently refurbished its fruit and veg make Aldis shelves look like an east end gutter after market day. And they at last (HORAY) do Lamb mince. Parking is a tad tight if you don't time it right.

Parking at Lidle and Aldi is made worse by the decrepit pensioners in their "too big for them" Jazzes or tinny buzzy picantos and I10s, all of them of course masters of the 30 point turn, completely unaware that there is more than 3/4 of a turn on the steering wheel, and being unable to turn heads more than 3 degrees are completely unaware there is another 5 feet behind them to use. And its no coincidence that Aldi and Lidl carparks are surrounded by thick brick walls capable of bouncing off an "out of control it was brake failure" automatic.

Tesco - shares - henry k
No longer visit Leatherhead
Feltham station Lidl has a large car park that even the worst can negotiate with its extra wide access so it is always very easy parking.
Aldi is in the nearby high street

Chessington Lidl, once you get through the mob it has parking at certain hours in the loading bay/delivery area - how sensible.
Pensioner parking is certainly a problem there. (says a pensioner ):-)

Morden is another car parking disaster.

I think that all the publicity is now causing a swamping the previously OK car parking.

I might add that I do not trek to far flung Lidl Aldi, they just happen to be en route to frequently visited other locations.

Tesco - shares - henry k
Have the mob discovered Aldi & Lidl ???
I said
>>Feltham station Lidl has a large car park that even the worst can negotiate with
>> its extra wide access so it is always very easy parking.
>>
At about 13:00 the car park was totally full. Never seen it like that before.

and
>> Aldi is in the nearby high street
at about 12:45 I had to hover to find a parking spot.
They now have, inside the store, some touch screens suggesting that to avoid any car parking penalties you type in your car registration.
Is this a regular requirement in other branches ?

Tesco - shares - John Boy
>> They now have, inside the store, some touch screens suggesting that to avoid any car
parking penalties you type in your car registration.
Is this a regular requirement in other branches ?
>>
LIDL in Eastbourne now has a similar system to cope, according to their notice, with problems caused by parents collecting from an adjacent school.

LIDL in Hastings is beginning to have parking problems and ALDI in Bexhill often has queues to get in the car park. The "mob" in Hastings have expensive cars.

Tesco - shares - No FM2R
>>I think this is a sign of changing times for UK supermarkets.

Therein lies the major issue I think.

If the market was not changing, then I think Tesco's share price would drop, stabilise and then gradually crawl quietly back up and all would be reasonably well.

As it is I rather think they will drop too far and then come back up a bit as potential buyers realise that they are currently undervalued. But then potential or actual investors will take a more realistic look at the company and its market.

At that point either Tesco will be showing signs that they can and will adapt to the changing environment or it will get very grim.

So currently not far off being worth a buy but only to hold for a short time.

Tesco - shares - mikeyb
Not sure how factual this is, but a colleague remarked to me that Morrisons share price is now less than the value of its assets. All academic I know, as you have a very complicated set of overheads behind that, but interesting if its true.

I think consumers have fallen out of love with (physically) big supermarkets and they also fall into 2 groups. The value for money group and the premium group. Lidl and Aldi cover one end, M&S and Waitrose the other, all of whom are increasing market share.

Tesco - shares - No FM2R
Very approx. value of Morrison freeholds £8.5bn (360p per share)
Very approx. net value of Morrison assets (assets - liabilities) £5.3bn (220p per share)

Current Morrison share price +/- 150p

Also see further details; (if you care enough).

www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices/stocks/summary/fundamentals.html?fourWayKey=GB0006043169GBGBXSET1

Tesco - shares - madf
Most of Morrisons' stores were built pre 2008 so asset values are probably greater than market values - which are likely to fall..

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> Very approx. value of Morrison freeholds £8.5bn (360p per share)
>> Very approx. net value of Morrison assets (assets - liabilities) £5.3bn (220p per share)
>>
>> Current Morrison share price +/- 150p
>>
>> Also see further details; (if you care enough).

Problem is there is a catch 22. Morrisons freehold assets were valued as large retail out of town food outlets.

As Tesco have found out, no-one will want to buy or lease any large out of town food retail outlets. When those freeholds are revalued they could be in trouble. Not just Morrisons.

Tesco - shares - Manatee
They have to be better off with freeholds than long leases though, even with the debt on the balance sheet for them.

Whilst the same issues apply in reducing the estate with regard to demand for that type of unit/location, alternative uses are on the agenda.

I think Tesco are already doing some housing.

Nearly all retailers lease because it requires less capital. But look how they have been falling over, lumbered with too much space on long leases.

That's what all the pre-pack administrations were really about, the phoenix companies just walked away from the sites they didn't want.

Reminds me of Woolworths, that once had a property portfolio worth something like four times the business. They should have just liquidated the company as any incoming asset stripper would done, but decided to sell and lease back. Lumbered with the rents they then had a lingering death.

Tesco - shares - Zero
www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-27/tesco-fighting-junk-status-rattles-bondholders.html

Tesco - shares - RattleandSmoke
I don't really get the point of the large Tescos. There is one near me and the apart from the odd offer the none food items are so expensive it is unreal. I think one of Tescos biggest mistakes apart from over expansion was a rapid expansion into none food items, without realising that online shopping would soon much of that market.

I rarely go to the local Tesco Extra, I get petrol there because it is cheap but that is it. My local Tesco Express is handy though and has good offers, I can see a big future in more of those express stores.

I also have a lot of great local shops where I can buy most the food I want to buy at a fraction of the super market costs.

Tesco - shares - No FM2R
>>I also have a lot of great local shops where I can buy most the food I want to buy at a fraction of the super market costs

What on earth do you eat that is available at a "fraction of the supermarket costs"?

Tesco - shares - Mapmaker
>>What on earth do you eat that is available at a "fraction of the supermarket costs"?

Certainly here in London you can eat very well from market stalls in the big inner London street markets. Fruit, veg, fish and (halal) meat available extraordinarily cheaply in comparison with supermarkets.

This week I bought:

15 Sharon fruit for £1. You try buying those in Waitrose!
12 Braeburn apples for £1.
A 5kg sack of onions for £1

King prawns (raw) are always available for £7 per kg (£20ish in Waitrose).

Lamb chops are £7 per kilo. I wouldn't buy them myself, as they won't have hung as well as in a proper butcher, but they're certainly cheap.

Things like tripe and calf's feet are not only very cheap and nutritious, but not available in Waitrose.

Pulses, grains and rice as well as herbs and spices are also far cheaper than the supermarket.

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> Certainly here in London you can eat very well from market stalls in the big
>> inner London street markets.
>> This week I bought:

>> A 5kg sack of onions for £1
>> tripe and calf's feet

Mappy, about that invitation to dinner, sorry mate can't make it - got to trim my ear hair or something vital like that

Next time maybe
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 27 Oct 14 at 18:02

Tesco - shares - sooty123
Some stuff in the asian supermarkets bet the big supermarkets hands down on price, but not as much range but no suprise there. Although they do a bigger range than I had thought. First thing off top of my head are chillies I think they are £1 for over a 100, you'd probably get a dozen in a supermarket.

Tesco - shares - No FM2R
Just for interest, here are some prices from here;

Chilli Infierno £3.90 / kg
Onions 90p / kg
Lemons £1 / kg
Apples 95p / kg
Advocado £2.30 / kg
Bananas 85p / kg

'Course, that's the local supermarket, everything is much cheaper at the market.

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> Just for interest, here are some prices from here;

Just for interest - Prices form my local Asda
>> Chilli Infierno £3.90 / kg
vary from £4.10 to 26 quid a kilo
>> Onions 90p / kg
68p kg
>> Lemons £1 / kg
27p each
>> Apples 95p / kg
£1.67 kg
>> Advocado £2.30 / kg
£1 each
>> Bananas 85p / kg
68p kg

Tesco - shares - No FM2R
Bit surprising really;

Chili is cheaper here, seems right.
Onions cheaper in the UK, I can see that.
Lemons much cheaper here, again logical.
Ditto apples & avocados, although I am surprised how much cheaper avocados are..

Bananas cheaper in the UK, now that's a bit of a surprise.

try these....

3litre bottle Coke £1.43
750ml Stolichnaya vodka £8.15
Pedigreee dry dog food 18kg £19.90
500gr Kellogs Cornflakes £2.69
Ketchup HEINZ 397 grs £1.76

Tesco - shares - Zero

>> try these....
>>
>> 3litre bottle Coke £1.43

can't get that size here, cheapest multipacks is 67p litre

>> 750ml Stolichnaya vodka £8.15

£14.00 70 ml

>> Pedigreee dry dog food 18kg £19.90

Cant get that, equivalent (wagg) 17kg £10

>> 500gr Kellogs Cornflakes £2.69

£1.80

>> Ketchup HEINZ 397 grs £1.76

910 grs £2.00

Tesco - shares - VxFan
>> >> 3litre bottle Coke £1.43
>>
>> can't get that size here,

IIRC, Iceland used to sell 3 litre bottles of Coke, and I've recently seen some in B&M or Family Bargains or somewhere like that. Can't remember the price though.

Tesco - shares - henry k
>> >> >> 3litre bottle Coke £1.43
>>
>> IIRC, Iceland used to sell 3 litre bottles of Coke,. Can't remember the price though.

groceries.iceland.co.uk/diet-coke-3-litre/p/13801

Diet Coke 3 Litre £2.00

COCA COLA & FLAVOURS 2LTR+50% 3 FOR £5.00

A 3 litre bottle of coke/diet coke £1 @ wilkinsons ( a year ago)
>>

Tesco - shares - Focusless
>> >> 3litre bottle Coke £1.43
>>
>> can't get that size here, cheapest multipacks is 67p litre

Asda always seem to have at least one of the brands at £1 for a 2 litre bottle - at the moment it's Pepsi.

Tesco - shares - Duncan
>> 3litre bottle Coke £1.43

>>t £1 for a 2 litre bottle - at the moment it's Pepsi.

How do you manage to drink that much Coke/Pepsi before it's gone flat? I have a couple of 2 litre bottles left over from a party, but I know that it will never get drunk before it's gone flat!

Tesco - shares - CGNorwich
"How do you manage to drink that much Coke/Pepsi before it's gone flat? "

It's not going flat but getting fat that is the problem. 324 grams of sugar or 1,200 calories in that 3L bottle!

Tesco - shares - Focusless
>> "How do you manage to drink that much Coke/Pepsi before it's gone flat? "
>>
>> It's not going flat but getting fat that is the problem. 324 grams of sugar
>> or 1,200 calories in that 3L bottle!

Drink the diet/zero stuff myself, which AFAIK only rots your liver (Lygonos?). But that's pretty infrequently. We just get a 2 litre bottle in for son if we're having a barbie or some sort of special occasion (he won't drink alcohol).

EDIT: and to answer Duncan, the bottle just about keeps fizzy for a couple of days, by which time it's usually gone
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 28 Oct 14 at 09:28

Tesco - shares - Runfer D'Hills
I'd not be much help to any of the supermarkets when it comes to drink sales. Most of the time I drink tap water. A couple of mugs of black coffee a day, usually from a flask in the car is the only regular alternative. Don't mind a Diet Coke if someone pours one for me but I'd not seek it out so to speak. My son is the same, he'd rather just have a glass of water. Fully leaded fizzy drinks just taste like tooth dissolving liquid sugar to me. Can't swallow them. So called energy drinks also taste disgusting to me. If I want an energy boost I'll just go outdoors, open my lungs and take a few deep breaths. Oxygenates the blood or something. Works anyway.

Anyway, each to their own eh.

On a complete tangent, it occurred to me the other day that the fad which arose in the 80s / 90s for young people to wander through life clutching a bottle of mineral water seems to have passed into history. I suppose it would be difficult to do that while walking bowed, monk like, peering at a smartphone. Might get the phone wet I guess and indeed the closure of so many public toilets must have made it a difficult to carry it off convincingly as an affectation.

Wasn't the water thing triggered but someone writing an article saying that we should all be drinking 2 litres of pure water a day.

Complete tosh of course. I doubt if I drink 2 litres of water a month.

Bit like "five-a-day" stemming originally from an advertising campaign from the California Fruit and Veg Growers association you mean? Or so Zoe Harcombe says.

Tesco - shares - BobbyG
>>On a complete tangent, it occurred to me the other day that the fad which arose in the 80s / 90s for young people to wander through life clutching a bottle of mineral water

My 16 year old son never goes anywhere without a bottle of water with him - just refilled from the tap all the time. Indeed I recently picked him up from a job interview and he had taken it in with him to the interview!

Tesco - shares - VxFan
>> How do you manage to drink that much Coke/Pepsi before it's gone flat?

I only buy the 2 lt bottles (diet, not the full fat ones) as it's near on impossible getting a 3 lt one in the fridge. It's gone within a couple of days so it doesn't get time to go flat.

>> Asda always seem to have at least one of the brands at £1 for a 2 litre bottle - at the moment it's Pepsi.

Same with Tesco. There always nearly seems to be a Pespi or 7Up offer on. One week it's the 2 lt bottles, the next it's the 8 pack of cans, then the 0.6 lt bottles where it's BOGOF.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 28 Oct 14 at 10:17

Tesco - shares - madf
>> www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-27/tesco-fighting-junk-status-rattles-bondholders.html
>>
>>

Hmm scary..

>>Reminds me of Woolworths, that once had a property portfolio worth something like four times the business. They should have just liquidated the company as any incoming asset stripper would done, but decided to sell and lease back. Lumbered with the rents they then had a lingering death.

They'd have been better off becoming a property group and floating off the Woolworths business... Sale and leaseback always makes sense on paper at the time. And it (almost) always kills you afterwards.

A bit like Apple going out to borrow cash in order to fund a dividend whilst it has cash sitting in bank accounts outside the States. The numbers make sense (owing to the US tax bill they would suffer in the event of repatriating the cash), but the idea is patently potty.

Tesco - shares - mikeyb
Only found out fairly recently that Woolworths was on the brink of being bought by Wall Mart, when they walked and bought Asda instead.

Apparently they had hinged everything on the deal and when it collapsed they had no plan B and just floundered

Tesco - shares - smokie
Tesco shares up 2.66% on the day at the moment, and have been higher. Reasonable short term punt if you get in and out at the right time!

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> Tesco shares up 2.66% on the day at the moment, and have been higher. Reasonable
>> short term punt if you get in and out at the right time!

Not really, with 2.66% gains (will be lost again tomorrow after the SFO news) you need to pump in a lot of money to make a reasonable sum, and Tesco is not the place I would pump in a lot of money!

Tesco - shares - smokie
if someone had bought on the day this thread was started (30/10) shares were 173.3.

Right now they are at 188.65.

That's nearly 9% in just over a week. Not so shabby. But I take your point about requiring a lot of money, and it could have gone either way.

Tesco - shares - mikeyb
A colleague invested (heavily) at around the 1.90 mark. I imagine he will be feeling somewhat relieved

Tesco - shares - smokie
240p now, I expect he's a happy bunny.

Tesco - shares - John Boy
Serious Fraud Office starts Tesco criminal investigation:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29821061

Tesco - shares - sherlock47
Tesco has apparently now disposed of the 4 (or5) executive jets and all local transport is drive yourself or use cabs/minicabs even for very senior managers. Long distance is drive/train in the UK - a friends executive hire (7 series ) business is not happy.

Tesco - shares - mikeyb
>> Tesco has apparently now disposed of the 4 (or5) executive jets and all local transport
>> is drive yourself or use cabs/minicabs even for very senior managers. Long distance is drive/train
>> in the UK - a friends executive hire (7 series ) business is not happy.
>>
Yes, I think I read on the bbc that they took delivery of a new jet a couple of weeks ago, and it was to be disposed of upon receipt along with the others.

Not really sure how much cash it will save them, or if it was just the right thing to be seen to be doing

Tesco - shares - madf
I worked for a US company with 2 exec jets.. On call all the time so no subhire.. Pilots and staff alone for two cost $1m + a year,..

Add in fuel, landing costs etc and you are looking at $5M pa.

They were Gulfstream 2s so had to refuel at Greenland going to US...

>>Add in fuel, landing costs etc and you are looking at $5M pa.

Exceptionally convenient for busy executives though. Saving hours of their time. pure propaganda disposing of them.

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> >>Add in fuel, landing costs etc and you are looking at $5M pa.
>>
>> Exceptionally convenient for busy executives though. Saving hours of their time. pure propaganda disposing of
>> them.
>>

Funny then that executive jets always appear in the company assets just prior to the company bubble bursting. Co-incidence? I suspect not.

Tesco - shares - madf
>> >>Add in fuel, landing costs etc and you are looking at $5M pa.
>>
>> Exceptionally convenient for busy executives though. Saving hours of their time. pure propaganda disposing of
>> them.
>>
>>

Only if you avoid major airports. If they fly through them , you have to wait for control tower ,customs etc..

Whereas if you fly private jet to the US and avoid JFK and land in Westchester Airport, all the delay is a 5 minute passport check.. (May have changed a lot as it was 20 years ago).

Tesco - shares - Roger.
In my days in the finance/leasing industry, seeing in a company's accounts that they sponsored a motor racing/rallying team was always a sign to walk away!
I never saw a private jet listed though!

Tesco - shares - madf
>> In my days in the finance/leasing industry, seeing in a company's accounts that they sponsored
>> a motor racing/rallying team was always a sign to walk away!
>> I never saw a private jet listed though!
>>
>>

New Head Office, Chairman gets a knighthood/CBE etc.. delusions of grandeur warnings.

Tesco - shares - Duncan
SQ
>> New Head Office, Chairman gets a knighthood/CBE etc.. delusions of grandeur warnings.
>>

Lidl are looking at the old Birds Eye offices in Walton on Thames for a new company HQ.

I hear...
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Nov 14 at 12:57

Tesco - shares - henry k
>> Lidl are looking at the old Birds Eye offices in Walton on Thames for a
>> new company HQ.
>>
>> I hear...
>>
A nice cheap area for the execs to live in :-)

Oh and its near to Heathrow so that will reduce travel time to the big HQ.

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> SQ
>> >> New Head Office, Chairman gets a knighthood/CBE etc.. delusions of grandeur warnings.
>> >>
>>
>> Lidl are looking at the old Birds Eye offices in Walton on Thames for a
>> new company HQ.
>>
>> I hear...

really? I hope they restore the penguins....

Interesting comment.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837110/Supermarkets-facing-closure-says-Waitrose-chief-Executive-predicts-bigger-stores-shut-doors-changes-way-customers-shop.html

I think I agree with him.

Yep - he look like a man who needs ready access to pies.

Tesco - shares - Zero
No one seems to have come up with the very simple explantation, Large supermarket saturation.

Laws of physics and mathematics says it had to happen at some time, and everyone within the business seems surprised it has.
People are realizing that large supermarkets are bad because you end up visiting them with intention of buying milk and bread only and then come out with trolley full of other stuff (just because you got a deal) which you don't really need.

If the stores are smaller, then chances are you will end up coming out with milk and bread only (ok, may be butter too) so overall cost of shopping is cheaper :-)

Tesco - shares - Skip
>> People are realizing that large supermarkets are bad because you end up visiting them with
>> intention of buying milk and bread only and then come out with trolley full of
>> other stuff (just because you got a deal) which you don't really need.
>>

Have you been following me ?

Tesco - shares - henry k
>> No one seems to have come up with the very simple explantation, Large supermarket saturation.
>>
>> Laws of physics and mathematics says it had to happen at some time
>> and everyone within the business seems surprised it has.
>>
Plus all the buy online & delivery being promoted.
OK in urban areas but is it viable in the outer reaches?
Many folk think it is a good deal, not wasted day time etc. etc.
Friend says he uses Tesco and always chooses " finest" and that seems to ensure a better response if there are problems ( but at what cost to Tesco?)

Tesco - shares - madf
As ASDA guarantee to be 10% cheaper than Tesco (and allow you to check on line and instant voucher), I see no reason to ever shop there.
 Tesco - shares - zippy
>> As ASDA guarantee to be 10% cheaper than Tesco (and allow you to check on
>> line and instant voucher), I see no reason to ever shop there.
>>

Have you tried Asda own brand products? I'd rather pay the extra 10%!
 Tesco - shares - Zero
>> >> As ASDA guarantee to be 10% cheaper than Tesco (and allow you to check
>> on
>> >> line and instant voucher), I see no reason to ever shop there.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> Have you tried Asda own brand products? I'd rather pay the extra 10%!

with you there zips! A brand new Asda has opened up near me, so I popped in for a look see. Got some own brand sausages rolls and bread from the bakery. Both were utterly terrible.

The Gordons was dirt cheap tho, and the coffee pods (if bought three boxes at a time) is the cheapest, beating even on-line pricing.

Tesco - shares - MD
The Steak from Asda last week was 1st class.

I'm generally a satisfied Tesco customer, so apart from the occasional tactical foray into Waitrose, I see no reason to change. I've no wish to support Asda's American parent, and in any case I'm ten miles from a store, so why would I bother?

The whisky library has had a few withdrawals lately, so it's time to scan the special offers for new titles.

Tesco - shares - madf
>> >> As ASDA guarantee to be 10% cheaper than Tesco (and allow you to check
>> on
>> >> line and instant voucher), I see no reason to ever shop there.
>> >>
>>
>>
>> Have you tried Asda own brand products? I'd rather pay the extra 10%!
>>

You of course miss the point entirely.

The comparison I use is of BRANDED Goods..

It is only sensible if you are going to buy Branded Goods, is to buy them at the cheapest price possible - within reason (time, travel).

The above response suggest some people have money to burn:-)

I bought the Kellogs Raspberry and Chocolate bars at Sainsbury (£3 for 3) as Asda were £3 for 2...
Last edited by: madf on Mon 17 Nov 14 at 14:36

Tesco - shares - Zero
>
>> The above response suggest some people have money to burn:-)

People with style class and taste often do.

>> I bought the Kellogs Raspberry and Chocolate bars

I rest my case.

Quicker and cheaper to eat the sugar straight from the jar.

Tesco - shares - madf
>> Quicker and cheaper to eat the sugar straight from the jar.
>>

Don't know. Never eaten them..
I save my money for spending on beekeeping (which can be a money pit if you are not careful) and gin...
Last edited by: madf on Mon 17 Nov 14 at 15:05

I'm not sure why it is considered necessary to scurry around every food supermarket looking for the cheapest unless your overwhelming priority is money. For some it is of course and but for a lot of people it isn't the sole or indeed the main criterion. I prefer to shop in in the more congenial surrounding of a Waitrose than the nightmare that is our local ASDA. It might cost a pound or two more but I actually like shopping there and enjoy the experience.

There is no queuing, the staff are friendly and the choice is excellent.

It's the same as going to the pub. I don't choose where I drink on the basis of price nor do I choose a restaurant solely on that basis. Waitrose were canny enough to realise that price is not the only factor that attracts customers
I permit my wife to organise such things. I think it's important to empower her whenever possible. I've taken an interest and indeed been quite proactive on the matter in recent times while she was for health reasons, unable to carry out her grocery and other comestible items procurement duties, but I'm pleased to say she is now sufficiently recovered to be left undisturbed to complete them.

I shall, indeed have, reverted to a strategy of non-interference.

;-)

Tesco - shares - Pat
>>I'm not sure why it is considered necessary to scurry around every food supermarket looking for the cheapest unless your overwhelming priority is money. <<

The overwhelming priority is to save enough money to pay the electricity bill for a lot of people.

Pat
...which can usually be better achieved by concentrating spending on one retailer and benefiting from the special offers and volume discounts that generates. Usually worth more than any individual special offer. Certainly not worth driving to a different supermarket.

Some of this, of course, falls into the 'have money to save money' trap. But it probably still makes more sense to surf the special offers at one retailer - buying a different brand if necessary, as we do with toothpaste and loo paper - than to run around town in search of the last 20p saving on your usual.

Tesco - shares - Duncan
>> >>I'm not sure why it is considered necessary to scurry around every food supermarket looking
>> for the cheapest unless your overwhelming priority is money. <<
>>
>> The overwhelming priority is to save enough money to pay the electricity bill for a
>> lot of people.
>>
>> Pat

Have you considered stopping smoking?

That's unfair, Duncan. Pat is looking beyond the end of her nose and showing some insight into the lives of those who don't have secure jobs or large corporate pensions. A bit more of that round here would generally be a good thing.
 Tesco - shares - Duncan
>> That's unfair, Duncan. Pat is looking beyond the end of her nose and showing some
>> insight into the lives of those who don't have secure jobs or large corporate pensions.
>> A bit more of that round here would generally be a good thing.

I assumed Pat was referring to herself.

However, this is a discussion forum, so it didn't seem to me to be an unreasonable point to make in the context of a discussion on the cost of living.

Tesco - shares - Pat
Yes I have Duncan, and decided not to, but while I continue to work at 68 years old, starting some mornings at 3.30am, I think I'm entitled to spend my wages any way I see fit.

Pat

Tesco - shares - Duncan
>> Yes I have Duncan, and decided not to, but while I continue to work at
>> 68 years old, starting some mornings at 3.30am, I think I'm entitled to spend my
>> wages any way I see fit.
>>
>> Pat

Quite right, and I will defend to the death - oh, hang on a sec, perhaps not that far.

I will defend you a little bit in your wish to make a free choice as an adult.
 Tesco - shares - Clk Sec
>>Waitrose were canny enough to realise that price is not the only factor that attracts customers

Yes, indeed. Wide aisles, amazingly friendly and helpful staff, well stocked shelves, a free newspaper (and a free coffee or tea) in return for a very modest spend.

*And, their Celebration chocolate sponge cake is to die for.

(*Special occasions only, of course.)

Tesco - shares - Pat
Rest assured Duncan, I have yet to struggle to pay my electricity bill...many moons ago I have done, but not in recent years.

I do know what it's like though to be in that position.

My son would tell the tale (he's now 49 years old) of when he was 5 and had to wear glasses for the first time. He didn't want NHS ones because they were horrible then. I stopped smoking for a few weeks and he never did have to have those frames.

Sooo.....smoking does have some advantages!

Pat

Tesco - shares - Duncan
>> My son would tell the tale (he's now 49 years old) of when he was
>> 5 and had to wear glasses for the first time. He didn't want NHS ones
>> because they were horrible then. I stopped smoking for a few weeks and he never
>> did have to have those frames.
>>
>> Sooo.....smoking does have some advantages!
>>
>> Pat

There is a flaw in that logic.

Now, if I could just put my finger on what it is.................

In theory, I've saved about ten grand since I stopped smoking.

Just wish I knew where it was...

;-)

Tesco - shares - Skip
>> In theory, I've saved about ten grand since I stopped smoking.
>>
>> Just wish I knew where it was...
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Its gone on Cashcow door mirrors and tax on your company LGEC :-)
 Tesco - shares - Manatee
>> I think I'm entitled to spend my
>> wages any way I see fit.

As indeed we all are. I have to remind herself occasionally that my tightwad approach is necessary to provide us with the funds to throw away on things we like, including her gym membership, hobbies and culture trips as well as luxuries like Vim and Weetabix.

Saving brass is never a bad idea if you can waste more on what you like.
 Tesco - shares - rtj70
My father was a smoker - he gave up for a year and bought a Mini. This was before I was born so must have been in the sixties. He then started smoking again! And smoking was a contributing factor to his death aged 43 when I was 10.

Back to the other topic discussed here, for years now I have been responsible (through choice) of doing the main food shopping. And I started to shop more frequently. It takes a bit more time overall but it means less wasted food for starters. Offsets the petrol/diesel cost to get to the shop. Also did it because you can't always plan that far ahead with children at home.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 17 Nov 14 at 17:20

...luxuries like Vim and Weetabix.

Not my idea of a treat but I suppose one saves picking bits of the other out of your teeth.

I seem to remember Rumpole of the Bailey citing his wife's expenditure on Vim as an example of her extravagance.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 17 Nov 14 at 18:03

Tesco - shares - Manatee
>> I seem to remember Rumpole of the Bailey citing his wife's expenditure on Vim as
>> an example of her extravagance.

I knew it would jangle a bell. I don't actually think you can get it now(

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> >> I seem to remember Rumpole of the Bailey citing his wife's expenditure on Vim
>> as
>> >> an example of her extravagance.
>>
>> I knew it would jangle a bell. I don't actually think you can get it
>> now(

www.amazon.co.uk/Vim-Classic-Scouring-Powder-500G/dp/B001CJ117Y

Tesco - shares - Manatee
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Vim-Classic-Scouring-Powder-500G/dp/B001CJ117Y

Flamin' Hilda!

Tesco - shares - Roger.
We have VIM in the house, bit it is very hard to find, just like pink Windowlene and original JCloths
We bought ours, and the Windowlene too, at a magical hardware shop, Partridges, in Hadleigh, Suffolk.

tinyurl.com/mqwcopd

Tesco - shares - Zero
>> We have VIM in the house, bit it is very hard to find, just like
>> pink Windowlene

Quite right too, both crap products.

Tesco - shares - Kevin
>Quite right too, both crap products.

The pink windolene stuff is the only cleaner I've found that leaves our sooper-dooper thermally efficient windows looking cleaner than when I started.

Tesco - shares - Zero
and left everything else covered in a fine white powder.

Try the vim on your windows.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 17 Nov 14 at 22:42

Tesco - shares - Kevin
>and left everything else covered in a fine white powder.

Invite BBD around before you do 'em. No problem.

I did have to settle for pink carpets though.

And pink blinds.

And walls.

Tesco - shares - BobbyG
When I was but a young lad me a and a few mates played a game of dare which meant that each had to go into the local shop and shoplift one item.

Me and my mate managed to steal a Marathon bar (showing my age).
My other mate stole a tin of Vim!! Never did ever get tot he bottom of th elogic other than it was piled up on a floor display!

There's a topic for another thread, what is the best and worst item you have ever taken through shoplifting???

We have VIM in the house, but it is very hard to find...

Have you tried writing down where you put it away? Little memory problems are to be expected at your age, but there are simple things you can do to keep them from escalating.
}:---P

I think I'm entitled to spend my wages any way I see fit.

And that is exactly my point. You are free to spend your money on smoking or on any way you feel fit. I am free to spend my money on less hassle when I shop. Neither is right or wrong.

Tesco - shares - Roger.
I agree with Zero, for a change :-)

Tesco - shares - mikeyb
>> Interesting comment.
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837110/Supermarkets-facing-closure-says-Waitrose-chief-Executive-predicts-bigger-stores-shut-doors-changes-way-customers-shop.html
>>
>> I think I agree with him.
>>

I like Mark - he talks a lot of sense, and is probably just saying what the big boys don't want to admit. He's doubled the size of Waitrose and they appear to be doing OK

Sigh. If I had in fact invested 10k back in October when I started this thread, I think it would be worth 14k odd today.

I KNEW I was a tortured genius without the money to back my inclination.

Tesco - shares - No FM2R

>>If I had in fact invested 10k back in October when I started this thread

And what did I say in October?

Mind you, they are still not a good long term bet, I don't think. There's definitely a moment to take the profit, and its probably not that far off.

Latest Forum Posts