Non-motoring > beware of dead flies. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 4

beware of dead flies. - Zero
You learn strange stuff every day

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-29702125
 beware of dead flies. - Cliff Pope
"The most probable cause was smouldering flies from an electrical fly killer dropping onto flammable material below"

So not really as weird as it sounds. It was the electrical device that caused the fire, as electrical devices often do. The flies were incidental.

I thought it was going to be about flies spontaneously combusting, or perhaps piles of rotting flies generating heat like compost heaps or damp hay stacks.
 beware of dead flies. - Slidingpillar
So not really as weird as it sounds. It was the electrical device that caused the fire, as electrical devices often do. The flies were incidental.

I'd not blame the electrical device, nothing wrong or faulty there. Mindnumbingly poor installation or usage though. If that standard of thinking applies to other matters, I wonder what else there is an accident waiting to happen.
 beware of dead flies. - J Bonington Jagworth
"they hoped the hotel would be reopened in about a month."

Blimey - there's optimism!
 beware of dead flies. - Armel Coussine
Another recycled post, apologies.

Dining in the garden behind my hotel in Chad with my drinking buddy the Sudanese Ambassador one night, we were seated near the bandstand which wasn't in use. Hanging in front of it though was one of those electric insect-zappers, whose crackle accompanied the meal as it toasted the numerous moths, giant African midges, huge beetles and so on that cluster round lights after dark in those parts.

Noticing a sort of restless stirring on ground level, I looked down and saw an army of frogs or toads hopping among the diners' feet and all heading for the area under the zapper to eat up the thick carpet of appetising toasted insects that would otherwise have accumulated there.

Perhaps owing to the proximity of the Chari river, batrachians were much in evidence at night. I went out in the small hours once to record their croaking for the BBC and nearly got shot by a soldier who wondered what I was doing and crept up behind me, giving us both a fright when I turned round and saw him. It was quite funny we both thought.
Latest Forum Posts