Non-motoring > Assisted suicide Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 6

Assisted suicide - Crankcase
Quite aside from the argument about whether or not assisted suicide is a good idea, am I naive in thinking it's not the job of the Director of the CPS to decide what and what will not be prosecuted in this sense? I thought their role was to decide if there was a reasonable chance of conviction in a given case, not say "well, I don't agree with this so we won't prosecute this any more".

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/11168519/Assisted-suicide-guidelines-relaxed-by-Director-of-Public-Prosecutions.html

For what it's worth though, should I be in a situation where I've decided it was appropriate to do so I would like to able able to say "pull the plug" and have it happen without anyone getting into bothers about it.

Assisted suicide - Slidingpillar
Smells like it's come down from politicians if you ask me. Bit of water testing etc. Apart from members of the Care not Killing alliance I suspect most people have difficultly with the idea of putting humans through things that you put a dog or cat to sleep for.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Fri 17 Oct 14 at 13:14
 Assisted suicide - Bromptonaut
The DPP/CPS role includes a 'public interest' element. Although the law has not changed the public perception of assisted suicide, with access to Dignitas etc, has. The DPP has to deal with that.

I'd also be surprised if the Attorney General and other law officers (ie political appointees) were not involved at some level in the drafting of this document.
 Assisted suicide - Cliff Pope
>> I would like to able able to say "pull the
>> plug"
>>

I agree, but the problem comes if someone else is allowed to say "He would have wanted me to pull the plug", or can nag you by saying "Isn't it time to pull the plug now?"
 Assisted suicide - CGNorwich
The problem is that by the time you want to say "pull the plug" you are often are in no capacity to do so. I watched my friend die last year after a brain operation left him in a vegetative state. It took six months. His wife, who loved him dearly, wanted everything to be done to keep him alive although he did say before the operation that this was the thing he feared most. It's not an easy thing to resolve.
 Assisted suicide - Dutchie

I can understand trying to keep a child alive or hope for a miracle cure which sometimes can

happen.

Best maybe to write down what you want to happen in certain circumstances before it's to late.And hope for a kind Doctor.
 Assisted suicide - Robin O'Reliant
>
>> I agree, but the problem comes if someone else is allowed to say "He would
>> have wanted me to pull the plug", or can nag you by saying "Isn't it
>> time to pull the plug now?"
>>
That's the danger, the ratchet effect.

"Well, if you're sure that's what you want...."

"I wonder, have you perhaps considered.....?"

"Maybe it's time you...."

"You really ought to seriously think about...."

"Oh come on, for heaven sake, all the bother you're putting everyone through...."
Latest Forum Posts