Non-motoring > What was on TV the day you were born? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 27

What was on TV the day you were born? - Zero
The BBC is running a rather grandly titled web page "Genome" that lists back issues of the Radio Times, but it means you can see what was on TV (or radio only for the really ancient members of this site) on a given day

genome.ch.bbc.co.uk

Here was the joys of TV on the day I was born.

14.30: TELEVISION GOES TO SEA

The British Railways' car ferry s.s. Lord Warden leaves Boulogne Harbour every afternoon on her regular Channel crossing to Dover
From the bridge and decks of the Lord Warden outside-broadcast cameras show the departure from the French port and scenes on board the ship at sea
Commentators, Richard Dimbleby and Barrie Edgar
Produced by Berkeley Smith
Contributors
Commentators: Richard Dimbleby
Commentators: Barrie Edgar
Produced By: Berkeley Smith
15.20: THE CHURCH IN THE MIDST

The dedication of a new Parish Church within the Toryglen Housing Estate, Glasgow by the Rev. William T. Smellie
Moderator of the Presbytery of Glasgow in the presence of the Congregation and Presbytery
Assisting in the service are: The Rev. John Sinclair , D.D.,
Clerk to the Presbytery The Rev. Arthur Howard
Convener of the Presbytery's Church Extension Committee
The Rev. Arthur J. 0 . Gordon
Minister of the New Church and Robert McWatt his Session Clerk
Preacher, the Rev. Horace Walker
Secretary-Depute of the Home Board of the Church of Scotland
Procession
Metrical Psalm 100: All people that on earth do dwell (Tune, Old Hundredth)
Call to Prayer; Prayers
Ceremony of Lighting the Lamps
Metrical Psalm 43, vv. 3-5: 0 send thy light forth (Tune, Invocation)
Epistle: Ephesians 2. vv. 13-22
Gospel: St. Matthew 21, vv. 12-16 The Creed
Paraphrase 20: How glorious Sion's courts appear (Tune, Irish)
(Continued in next column)
Sermon
The Narrative
Hymn: Come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire (C.H. 182)
The Dedication of Church and People Metrical Psalm 72, vv. 17-cnd: His name for ever shall endure (Tune, e*****ham)
The Offering
Prayers of Thanksgiving and Intercession
Metrical Psalm 122: I joy'd when to the house of God (Tune, St. Paul)
The Blessing
Recessional Paraphrase 66, vv. 5-11:
Hark how th' adoring hosts above
Organist, Gordon J. McGhee The commentary is given by the Rev. Ronald Falconer
Contributors
Unknown: Rev. William T. Smellie
Unknown: Rev. John Sinclair
Unknown: Rev. Arthur Howard
Unknown: Arthur J. 0 . Gordon
Unknown: Robert McWatt
Unknown: Rev. Horace Walker
Organist: Gordon J. McGhee
Unknown: Rev. Ronald Falconer
16.10: TELEVISION GOES TO SEA

Further scenes on board the s.s. Lord Warden as the ship approaches the English coast and enters the harbour at Dover
17.00: CHILDREN'S TELEVISION

The Return of the Bumblies
Those curious creatures pay another visit to Michael Bentine in a new series of adventure films
Children's Newsreel
'The Runaway Slave '
A play for older children written and produced by Naomi Capon
Cast in order of appearance:
Designer, Richard Henry
Many people believed that ' Uncle Tom's Cabin,' published in 1852, was the greatest single blow struck against Negro slavery in the United States of America. But for a long time the author, Harriet Beecher Stowe , saw no evil in slavery and thought it was none of her business. This play, which is based on real events in her life, shows how she was forced to change her mind.
Contributors
Unknown: Michael Bentine
Produced By: Naomi Capon
Designer: Richard Henry
Unknown: Harriet Beecher Stowe
Harriet Beecher Stowe: Betty Hardy
Mina, the Negro cook: Rita Stevens
Anna an English girl: Carol Marsh
Mr Allenby, owner of a Kentucky plantation: Guy Kingsley Poynter
Mrs Allenby: Jennifer Gray
Linda, one of their slaves: Nadia Catouse
Tim her son: Robert Quashy
Kidnapper: Donald Pleasence
Children in Mrs. Stowe's school: Wendy Adams.
Children in Mrs. Stowe's school: Carole Olver
Children in Mrs. Stowe's school: Aurora Wood
Children in Mrs. Stowe's school: David Godfrey
19.25: Weather Chart

19.30: NEWS and NEWSREEL

19.45: WHAT'S MY LINE?

with Isobel Barnett , Barbara Kelly David Nixon , Gilbert Harding trying to find the answers and Eamonn Andrews to see fair play
Presented by Dicky Leeman
Contributors
Unknown: Isobel Barnett
Unknown: Barbara Kelly
Unknown: David Nixon
Unknown: Gilbert Harding
Unknown: Eamonn Andrews
Presented By: Dicky Leeman
20.30: 'RAIN BEFORE SEVEN'

A play by Joyce Dennys
Produced by Chloe Gibson Designer.
Stephen Taylor
Queensland in December: the temperature is 115 degrees in the shade, the land is parched, and the cattle are weak; in the hot blue of the sky no cloud loiters with a promise of rain; and only the hopeful, stubborn courage of the pioneer sustains the farmers in their proud belief that they are working ' God's own country.'
It is an epithet which has a doubtful ring to the young bride out from England. Beginning a new life with her farmer husband in conditions separated by a polar distance from those she has known in her comfortable English home, Stella wilts amid the ' alien corn.' The odds seem against her. K.A.H.
Contributors
Play By: Joyce Dennys
Produced By: Chloe Gibson
Unknown: Stephen Taylor
Ted O'Neil: Ewen Solon
Jimmy O'Neil: Roy Sone
Emmie Dalziel: Gillian Lutyens
George Grant: Vincent Ball
Stella Grant: Maureen O'Reilly
Stan Farmer: Gordon Gostelow
Monty Dalziel: Anthony Hawtrey
Mrs Francis: Marjory Clark
Doris Francis: Yvonne Jacques
Mrs Robinson: Leal Douglas
Mrs O'Neil: Irene Richmond
Mrs Edwards: Nancye Stewart
21.45: JUGOSLAV NATIONAL DANCERS AND SINGERS

State Ensemble from Zagreb
Presented by Christian Simpson
Contributors
Presented By: Christian Simpson
22.15: THE EPILOGUE

Into the house of the Lord
This afternoon, within the new housing estate at Toryglen, Glasgow, the new Parish Church was dedicated. Tonight the Rev. Arthur J. O Gordon , its first Minister, invites you to share in his thoughts, his dreams, and his prayers
Contributors
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Crankcase
I think I would have found most of Zero's a bit worthy. I'd have tuned in for What's my Line with the soon-to-be-fallen Dame Isobel Barnett of course, dipped in the Sea a little on and off, and glanced at the Bumblies. Not a complete dead loss.

Mine is too extensive to post, but I thank you for the link (and now I know I was born on a Thursday). But I had ghastly Wimbledon - no thanks - the ghastly Steptoe and Son - no thanks - but also the rather intriguing sounding one below. At this moment know nothing about but will by lunchtime, especially as the delectable Susan Hampshire was in it, and with the was-he-crazy-absolutely-hang-on-we're-changing-our-minds-again Fred Hoyle's name to it:

20.00 : THE ANDROMEDA BREAKTHROUGH
by FRED HOYLE and JOHN ELLIOT
Produced by John Elliot with PETER HALLIDAY
SUSAN HAMPSHIRE
MARY MORRIS and NOEL JOHNSON and introducing
CLAUDE FARELL
1: Cold Front
Cast in order of appearance:
Designer, Norman James
Film cameraman. Ken Westbury Film editor, James Colina
Contributors
Unknown: Fred Hoyle
Unknown: John Elliot
Produced By: John Elliot
Unknown: Peter Halliday
Unknown: Susan Hampshire
Unknown: Mary Morris
Unknown: Noel Johnson
Unknown: Claude Farell
Designer: Norman James
Unknown: Ken Westbury
Editor: James Colina
Fleming: Peter Halliday
Osborne: Noel Johnson
Burdett: David King
Geers: Geoffrey Lewis
Madeleine Dawnay: Mary Morris
Andromeda: Susan Hampshire
Kaufman: John Hollis
Salim: Barry Linehan
Manservant: Mellan Mitchell
Preen: Geiffrey Dunn
R A F Officer: Frederick Treves
B.E.A. Staff: Sheila Conner
B.E.A. Staff: Anthony Sheppard
Mile Gamboule: Claude Farell
 What was on TV the day you were born? - henry k
No TV and it was a Sunday.

Radio
Nuf said.

Forces Programme was a a bit more interesting.

to the Imperial and Allied Forces in Great Britain , followed by ' REVEILLE ! '
Cheerful gramophone records

MORNING STAR
Records of Harry Torrani , yodeller

Musical extravaganza of non-stop music, comedy, swing, by the Orchestra of the Royal Army Service Corps (by permission of the Officers). Conducted and devised by Mr. A. Young (Bandmaster, R.A.S.C.) with Corporal Alec Pleon , Pte. Peter Tuddenham , Pte. Llewelyn John , Pte. Dick Wilcox , and Olive Young.

Play-by-play description for Canadian Forces-and all others interested —of last night's National Hockey League game in Toronto. Relayed by beam telephone, and presented in collaboration with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

To the men of the Forces : a letter in words and music from Vera Lynn , accompanied by Fred Hartley and his Music. ' News from home ', messages from munition girls to their husbands, and congratulations to some new fathers in the Forces. Presentation by Howard Thomas

I instantly had to find Harry Torrani on Spotify. Oh my word.

What was on TV the day you were born? - sherlock47
Sunday with limited programmes, starting with Petula Clark - I had not realised how old she is!
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Old Navy
BBC Home Service.

10:30 Music while you work.

Harold Coombs at the organ of the Regal, Kingston.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Oct 14 at 10:55
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Cliff Pope
Clive Brook Barry K. Barnes and Jane Baxter in the film ' THE WARE CASE '
The story of a man who thought he could cheat the law but found that he could not cheat his own conscience
 What was on TV the day you were born? - helicopter
Good Link Zeddo.. Way back in the 40,s when I was born it was Davis Cup Tennis from Wimbledon - Commentator Freddie Grisewood .....

I now am going to search the early 50's for dates when my Father in Law and his partner were on the stage as a comedy double act appearing regularly in such shows as Workers Playtime.........
Last edited by: helicopter on Fri 17 Oct 14 at 12:19
Blooming Heck Cliff , I have just read your post and the Ware Case was also on the day I was born.......is this a coincidence?

Maybe it is a case of an early repeat or do we share a birthday I wonder.....

Did they have the Davis Cup ( versus Czechoslovakia ) on your birthday as well?
>> Blooming Heck Cliff , I have just read your post and the Ware Case was
>> also on the day I was born.......is this a coincidence?
>>
>> Maybe it is a case of an early repeat or do we share a birthday
>> I wonder.....
>>
>> Did they have the Davis Cup ( versus Czechoslovakia ) on your birthday as well?
>>

No, only:

"THE BIG TOP
The first of three visits this weekend to Billy Smart 's New World Circus at Woodford

and
FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT

In this new series, commentator and cameraman visit a number of European countries and bring back their impression of the ways in which recent changes in European affairs are affecting the lives of ordinary men and women in the towns and countryside
Alan Bullock , Historian and Fellow of New College, Oxford; introduces the series and illustrates his points with animated maps and diagrams made by the Bureau of Current Affairs "

What was on TV the day you were born? - Zero
>> BBC Home Service.
>>
>> 10:30 Music while you work.
>>
>> Harold Coombs at the organ of the Regal, Kingston.

Both now, sadly, gone I think.
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Bromptonaut
1959. Only one BBC channel and it didn't come on air until 13:00 with Beunydd, news and religious talk in Welsh. Followed at 14:30 by Watch With Mother - Rag Tag and Bobtail.

A play then followed as first part of a slot described as Mainly for Women. The second segment might be interesting re-aired today:

3.10 'WOMEN OF AFGHANISTAN'
A film showing the beginnings of a new way of life for women in Afghanistan
Filmed and introduced by Constance Paul
Presented by Richard Gilbert.

Next up Children's Newsreel followed by Playbox with Eamonn Andrews.

Later highlights included Bertram Mills Circus and at 19:30 The Black and White Minstrel Show.

Evening rounded off at 23:07 by another programme in Welsh. Possibly this was only on selected transmitters. We certainly got the afternoon Welsh programme later in sixties in Yorkshire presumably because some of the northern transmitters, in days of 405 lines band I VHF. served NE Wales.

What was on TV the day you were born? - Armel Coussine
Very little if anything. Broadcasts from (I think) Alexandra Palace had started a week earlier. But there wasn't much on. The war was coming and everyone knew it, so their minds were on higher things. It was a time of great and widespread anxiety. I'm glad I have no conscious memory of it, even though things were even worse when consciousness dawned.
Well I have done a search and found my father in law and partner appearing in the early 50's on Workers Playtime , Variety Bandbox and Variety Fanfare with such names as Benny Hill, Frankie Vaughan, Cardew ( The Cad )Robinson and Max Miller......

I never saw him on stage but I actually have old vinyl recordings of the act on Workers Playtime made at the time which I had transferred onto CD only recently after finding them in a delve through my attic, very nostalgic music and very innocent of its time humour although I note that he did manage to sneak in a reference to 'gussets ' which was probably near the knuckle in those days.....

He was still telling some of the jokes on the recording 50 years later .....and still getting laughs with them.....
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Roger.
Not a lot in 1935!
>> Not a lot in 1935!
>>

March 22 – Germany begins regular television service in Berlin (Deutscher Fernseh-Rundfunk), from the Fernsehsender Paul Nipkow, using a 180-line electronic television system. It is generally only seen in public viewing rooms seating 30 people each.
April 26 – France begins broadcasting regular transmissions from the top of the Eiffel Tower.
September 11 – Final transmission of John Logie Baird’s 30-line television system by the BBC. The BBC begins preparations for a regular high definition broadcasting service from Alexandra Palace.

>> >> Not a lot in 1935!
>> >>
>>
>>
>> March 22 – Germany begins regular television service in Berlin (Deutscher Fernseh-Rundfunk), from the
>> Fernsehsender Paul Nipkow, using a 180-line electronic television system. It is generally only seen in
>> public viewing rooms seating 30 people each.
>> April 26 – France begins broadcasting regular transmissions from the top of the Eiffel
>> Tower.
>> September 11 – Final transmission of John Logie Baird’s 30-line television system by the
>> BBC. The BBC begins preparations for a regular high definition broadcasting service from Alexandra Palace
>>

I was right - not a lot :-)
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Haywain
We may complain about the excesses of the Premier League today but, in 1949, the 'Association Football' offering was

Nigerian F. A. XI v. Isthmian League XI

A visit to the Ilford Football Ground to see one of the series of matches being played in this country by the touring Nigerian team

Commentator: Peter Lloyd

Riveting stuff!
Just as riveting as any Premier League match today.
Association Football (Soccer) is a game played by overpaid drama queens,
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Mike Hannon
A vase of flowers and a picture of my mum and dad's wedding.
Well, somebody had to say it.
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Haywain
"Just as riveting as any Premier League match today. "

I should add that I have never been to a Premier League game …… but I regularly watch my local team play in the Isthmian Premier. I can't remember the last time the Isthmian League featured on the tv.
 What was on TV the day you were born? - ....
BBC One started at 11:50 with APNA HI GHAR SAMAJHIYE
Make Yourself at Home
For viewers from India and Pakistan including
Health and Welfare
Look, Listen, and Speak: Lesson 5
Teacher, Robert Chapman
Asian Music

At 12:40 there was WINNERS AT THE WHEEL (never heard of it)
Maxwell Boyd is in the driver's seat for fifty minutes of flat-out motoring on road and track around the world with six men who came to the top in motor sport in 1968. Vie Elford began a new career on the race circuits after winning the Monte Carlo Rally.
A Kenya garage mechanic Nick Nowicki beat the world's best drivers to come home first in the East African Safari.
Victor in the Isle of Man Junior and Senior T.T., Giacomo Agostini was the year's top man on a motor-cycle.
Helsinki student Hannu Mikkola became the fastest of ' the flying Finns.'
Graham Hill was world champion racing driver for a second time.
And there was a £ 10,000 prize due to be collected in Australia last week by the winner of the London to Sydney Marathon. Associate producer, John Mills
Written and produced by BRIAN ROBINS

The Magic Roundabout was on at 17:44(suspect that might be a typo for 17:45) before the evening News at 17:50

18:20 was Quiz Bingo!
Jimmy Savile calls 'Eyes Down! ' for the first session of a new game
Speed ! — Knowledge !
Wit !-Strategy !
Teams from all over Britain race each other to fill the cards and shout 'Bingo! '
Round 1 Manchester vs Liverpool

There was a Gala Performance on at the time I was born from Sadler's Wells
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Ambo
No TV service till later in my area. Well, it was Norfolk.
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Dutchie
Don't know what was on the telly.Nobody in our village had one in 1949 I think.
Probably not a typo. Well remember the days when the Magic Rondabout was on and was indeed at 17:44. Used to have things like the weather on at 18:32 as well. You could rely on the BBC for pretty much everything then, including punctuality. Had more gravitas.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 17 Oct 14 at 18:15
 What was on TV the day you were born? - ....
I remember the time creeping forwards to 5:40 the 5:35 as the main news program became longer before Nationwide.
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Duncan
TV hadn't started public transmission.
 What was on TV the day you were born? - Ted

No telly listed for me in 1945. Just Home service basic and light programme.

Mostly music and gramophone records.
Latest Forum Posts