Non-motoring > Transporting a dishwasher Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 30

Transporting a dishwasher - Haywain
For the past couple of weeks, the household has been totally disrupted by the fitting of a new kitchen; this has entailed the complete ripping out of the old one, along with the added complication of the old central heating boiler completely giving up the ghost and needing replacement. The project is a final great spending binge before my wife retires.

The old cooker has been dumped and the old fridge will go in the garage as a beer cooler, but my son has volunteered a home for the old dishwasher. When I was a lad, dishwashers were rare and very unreliable but this Bosch is 9.5 years old and, so far, has been absolutely reliable - white goods at its finest! It even underwent a brain transplant 3 years ago when its central control unit was replaced under a recall (well done, Bosch!).

I have heard that fridges and washing machines are best kept upright when transporting, but has anyone any experience of transporting a dishwasher - mine will have to lay on its side or back in an Astra estate?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 16 Oct 14 at 01:40
 Transporting a dishwasher - Harleyman
Ignore original comment, just re-read your post!

Tilt it backwards with outlet hose below unit; this should drain most of the water out. Then lay it on its back, won't hurt it.
 Transporting a dishwasher - Manatee
I suppose with fridges it's the cooling circuit that needs to be kept upright, and most washer have that lump of concrete flopping about. I can't see why being on its back/side would worry a dishwasher, other than to increase the likelihood of some residual water leaking out.

That said, when I last moved, the washer, dishwasher, and fridge freezer all packed up within weeks!
 Transporting a dishwasher - Bromptonaut
Agree with others, make sure sump is fully drained* and remove baskets and anything else that might move in transit.

*If you can move machine so it's over a doorstep there should be enough drop, if you pass drain hose out of door and down to ground, to empty sump. This technique works when I give mt washing machine it's annual purge of fluff and gunk.
 Transporting a dishwasher - No FM2R
I think Manatee is right.

In a dishwasher there is a pump (tiny and light), plastic spinning bits (light), racks for the dishes to be stacked in, a couple of plastic containers for salt, soap and other aids, and pipes.

Nothing to get damaged at any angle.

Just tape the door closed so it can't flop about in a direction the hinges don't like.

A washing machine can be transported but the drum needs transport bolts inserted, or you need to be very careful. Its the drum flopping around which is the issue.

A fridge has a couple of risks;

Physical damage to the coils and tubes on the back.
Damage to the compressor mountings
Oil seeping from the compressor into the tubes

Tape the door shut, pad the compressor & mountings with towels or similar to prevent movement and let it stand for an hour before you switch it on and it should be fine.
 Transporting a dishwasher - Cliff Pope
Tip - take the crockery out first.
Or don't tip.
Good, thanks, as I thought, I just need to secure the dishwasher's loose bits and make sure that it is drained. I've just re-checked the lip height of the Astra's load compartment, and it's less than 2" short of being able to take the dishwasher in an upright position.

Whilst the dishwasher must travel from Suffolk to Kent, the fridge has only to go from its temporary home in the conservatory, round to the garage; we should be able to keep it virtually upright throughout.

ISTR as Manatee found, that when we moved house last time, the washing machine and fridge packed up shortly afterwards despite transporting as carefully a possible.
 Transporting a dishwasher - Mike H
We inherited an old AEG dishwasher that could have been around 35 years old. It worked fine when we moved in, then we decided to move it to our apartment that we let out. Bad move....started leaking almost immediately it was repositioned. I think it was perished rubber hoses. So while it's upside down, it might be worth checking all the hoses and clips.
 Transporting a dishwasher - Ambo
I used kerosene fridges for years when I had no mains power . They used to conk out about twice a year. The cure was to take out the fuel tank, turn the fridge upside down and leave it for a few hours. It always good for another six months after that.

There were also kerosene fans with little hot air piston engines but I never had one. I also once saw in a Chinese shop an electric light silently powered by kerosene. It was mounted high so I couldn't see how it worked and the shopkeeper didn't know.

Maybe some technically-minded poster can explain these three phenomena?
The last one's easy . It just requires several people to raise their arms in the air at the same time. Many hands make light work.
 Transporting a dishwasher - Runfer D'Hills
Iriot

;-)
 Transporting a dishwasher - Slidingpillar
The kerosene fan engine was a stirling engine. Model ones can be bought here:
www.forest-classics.co.uk/Stirling%20Engines.htm but I don't know of anything current that has one.

Kerosene fridge was an ammonia cycle one. Any heat source can be used, bit expensive to buy these days, but the old gas fridges were pretty good and didn't cost much to run.

Not too sure about the light, the USSR made some pretty weird things including a paraffin lamp powered radio (a string of thermocouples basically).
 Transporting a dishwasher - J Bonington Jagworth
"kerosene fans with little hot air piston engines"

To counter the heat produced by the burning kerosene, presumably...?

:-)
 Transporting a dishwasher - Slidingpillar
My understanding is Stirling engines are quite efficient so although they need heat to run, not that much of it. You Tube video of one running:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVPCLGEhBL4
I did consider buying a Stirling-powered fan to put on top of our woodburner; the theory being that it utilises the heat from the stove to circulate the warm air around the room.

Nice bit of kit but rather expensive.
 Transporting a dishwasher - Jetski
Fine in the front seat of the car, just make sure she keeps her seatbelt on.
"Fine in the front seat of the car, just make sure she keeps her seatbelt on."

Er, just to get things straight - are we still talking about my dishwasher?

;-)
 Transporting a dishwasher - Jetski
That's a wife I believe.
 Transporting a dishwasher - Ambo
Thanks for elucidation, Slidingpillar. Nice models - I am tempted to buy myself one for Christmas.
Just to conclude this, the dishwasher was transported on its back down to my son's place without incident. Any excess water remaining in the system was allowed to drain before the final push into the back of the Astra estate - and what a small but cheap and incredibly versatile car that's proving to be. The dishwasher appears to be working perfectly so far (touch-wood!).

As the dishwasher had been plumbed directly into the union under the sink at our place, I had forgotten to take a plastic 'shaper' to bend the waste-pipe into a fixed down-pipe; hence, we had to go out and buy another that came with an unneeded length of waste-pipe. On returning home, I have come across 4 or 5 of these wretched 'shapers' if anyone wants one!
 Transporting a dishwasher - Fullchat
Now isn't that always the case :)

Overall a happy ending:)
 Transporting a dishwasher - Dutchie
Took my wife twenty years nagging me about a dishwasher.I used to wash the pots not good enough in her eyes so she did the washing.

We got one it's a nice little machine and the dishes are sparkling clean.>:)
 Transporting a dishwasher - Dutchie
Took my wife twenty years nagging me about a dishwasher.I used to wash the pots not good enough in her eyes so she did the washing.

We got one it's a nice little machine and the dishes are sparkling clean.>:)
 Transporting a dishwasher - WillDeBeest
And now you've got two.

(That'll look even sillier after a tidy-minded mod has tidied up.)
}:---)
 Transporting a dishwasher - Zero
>> And now you've got two.
>>
>> (That'll look even sillier after a tidy-minded mod has tidied up.)
>> }:---)

Fear not, you'll be wiped clean as well.
But will you?
>> But will you?

I'm used to being wiped out on here, but you? will you need counselling?
Or just cancelling? (Or are those the same thing in Essex?)
Duncan will press the button on you at this rate
Or VF will press his on all of us. Then no-one will ever know that to transport a dishwasher you should put it in your car and take it out when you get there.
"Then no-one will ever know that to transport a dishwasher you should put it in your car and take it out when you get there."

Ah, but the question was about whether it would still work when you get it to its destination. Have you been drinking?
Latest Forum Posts