Non-motoring > Substances thread Legal Questions
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 38

Substances thread - Armel Coussine
I was surprised to see the list of drugs that appeared on both motoring and non-motoring forums, and disappointed when it vanished just as I was getting used to it. I was toying with the idea of ordering a sample of 'Yashish' which sounded relatively harmless. Ritalin, which is sort of speed, was listed but it isn't very nice I seem to remember, and other speedy things are a bit rough when you're past your youth. LSD and other scheiss was allegedly available on demand. No prices given though. Perhaps they were all a bit on the high side. None of these modern white powders appeal to me in the least.

Synthetics other than LSD are disappointing in my experience, and LSD can be a bit of a handful for anyone sensitive or mentally fragile. If you must take drugs - and one can't really recommend it without knowing the patient quite well - it's best to take real ones, with considerable caution. They can make you ill or even dead if you're a bit careless.
 Substances thread - Robin O'Reliant
I tried Cannabis about three times in my youth and (Thankfully) it did absolutely nothing for me accept make me go a bit light headed and lose about 20 minutes which seemed to float by unnoticed so I was never tempted to try anything harder. I got my youthful kicks on large quantities of best bitter, though I haven't touched a drop for over thirty years. I just got out of the habit and never miss it (Or the awful hangovers).
 Substances thread - John Boy
I tried cannabis 4 times. First time was great, a very mellow experience. Drove down Lansdowne Road in Notting Hill afterwards (how close was I to AC?) and had no recollection of the middle when I got to the end. Second time zilch, despite extensive tutoring about what to do with it. Third time at an office party was spectacular, but I suddenly had a desperate need to crap. Had a real struggle to get to the gents and in a cubicle, but no action. Ended up lying on the floor in the gents wondering if the head of HR would enter and find me there. When I told him, a workmate said "I went through the sixties looking for a joint like that!" Fourth time - mildly pleasant. Never felt the slightest chance of becoming addicted. Wish I could say the same about tobacco. Giving that up has been a massive struggle.
Three times? Four times? Hell's bells, I'd lost count by the time I was 20. Always liked it and still do.

But nothing lasts for ever. Nothing's as much fun when you're in your seventies as it was when you were young and sprauncy. Booze grows on you as you get older because it's a powerful sedative that always works. Cannabis is hugely variable in type, 'strength' and effect. A lot of it isn't much use.
My dad had a theory that, if you were introduced to alcohol at an early age, it would never take over your life. I was the guinea pig, taken into pubs way before the legal age, and it seems to have worked. I got drunk in my teens like everyone else, but, since my thirties, I've been able to take it or leave it. Mainly, I leave it, but I'm definitely influenced by knowing several people whose lives have been blighted by alcoholism or alcoholics.
 Substances thread - Bromptonaut
>> My dad had a theory that, if you were introduced to alcohol at an early
>> age, it would never take over your life. I was the guinea pig, taken into
>> pubs way before the legal age, and it seems to have worked. I got drunk
>> in my teens like everyone else, but, since my thirties, I've been able to take
>> it or leave it. Mainly, I leave it, but I'm definitely influenced by knowing several
>> people whose lives have been blighted by alcoholism or alcoholics.

Now there's a thing. I was brought up the same, right back as far as Gripe Water that apparently contained alcohol. Offered 'tastes' of wine, sherry and spirits as a kid and nobody bothered if I drank dregs from adults' glasses. By teens I was allowed wine with meals and beers on French holidays.

Opposite effect for me. I drink most nights, beer or wine but rarely spirits, still quite a lot more than 20 units a week though. Not at level of a real alcoholic and I don't normally touch it before 17:30/18:00 but enough for Mrs B/kids to be concerned at times, though Mrs B is little better herself.

Occasionally I take it to excess and end up stumbling/slurring by 23:00 but that was partly interaction with stuff I was prescribed for work related anxiety.
 Substances thread - No FM2R
I think, Bromp, that you might want to be a little thoughtful. Not because of how much you drink, because I most certainly drink more, but because your wife/kids get concerned, you have stumbled/slurred and its "most" evenings - Your wife may just be fussing, but for children to notice? That might be a little much.

And I think that alcoholism is more to do with compulsion, control and addiction than it is absolute quantity.

I am certainly not setting myself up as someone to tell you what you should or should not do now you're a grown up, but perhaps you should assess it a bit more closely yourself.

My children are allowed to taste, in their own glass, if they wish. I would never allow them dregs, or even to drink from someone else's glass, that's just manners. But I fully support the concept that they should be familiar with alcohol as part of the gradual handover to their own control - mystifying it is bad.
>> And I think that alcoholism is more to do with compulsion, control and addiction than it is absolute quantity.

Yes, spot on FMR. Individual tolerance to alcohol and indeed everything else varies quite widely from person to person but also from year to year, month or week to week, almost hour to hour actually. And those compulsions come and go, as does the will or ability to exert control and therefore the addiction itself.

People may think I am over-interpreting, that a drink is just a couple of pints for heaven's sake, no big deal. Quite right of course... but there lies part of the trouble too. Seems to me not a bad idea to have a theoretical sort of map of what's going on. An aid to understanding when you need it.

And 'loss of control' be damned. Most drugs are rather good for 'control' in their different ways. It's just that people are lousy at it (control I mean), or they are greedy and stupid with drugs.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 14 Oct 14 at 23:22
>> Most drugs are rather good for 'control' in their different ways. It's just that people are lousy at it (control I mean), or they are greedy and stupid with drugs.

They can't help it of course, interest in drugs being deeply narcissistic in a bad way and an adult neurotic's version of messing about with faeces and smearing them on the wall and the bars of your cot.

My heavyweight Kleinian woman shrink, who I saw five times a week for 2 and a half years, became uncharacteristically animated, in a mode of indignant sarcasm, when I mentioned some decent dope I'd got. 'Oh, this wonderful hashish!' she exclaimed a couple of times, before asking me what a small brown object reminded me of... But it wasn't really just a turd: it was that terrible thing a Bad Breast, a filthy low-rent would-be rival to the Analysis, not a fecal penis like the Bentley but a fecal breast...

I'd recommend psychoanalysis to anyone with half a brain. Really takes you back.

Footnote: FMR may be interested to know that apart from London, Kleinian shrinks tended to congregate in Buenos Aires. Something to do with the war perhaps and where the shrinks often came from (mine was Scottish).
 Substances thread - Runfer D'Hills
Never "got" it myself. Tried it for sure in my youth but much prefer getting high on life. I now drink alcohol coincidentally if it happens to taste nice and wouldn't even slightly consider any chemical enhancement. The feeling you get from pushing your body to its physical limits is far more of a buzz than anything you can ingest or smoke. I hate anything which causes loss of awareness or control. Sod that.
I hate anything which causes loss of awareness or control. Sod that.
>>
Yes, I definitely agree with that statement now.
 Substances thread - No FM2R
>> I hate anything which causes loss of awareness or control

Two things stopped me ever sampling serious drugs, as opposed to my sister who tried everything going;

1) I consider myself easily addicted, so God forbid i tried it and liked it.
2) I hate loss of control.
 Substances thread - Steve
Hi all, I'm new here, my first post! I've been lurking about for some time and this thread prompted me to join up.
I've tried cannabis a few times, it only worked twice and the last stuff I bought I gave away. To get to the point I've been a lifelong smoker - from the age of about 12 to 68. I've used the lot, pipes, cigars, snuff, roll up's, tipped and plain. About three months ago I decided to try an ecig from the local shop. It was ok, but I still needed the satisfying hit of a real fag now and then. Then I bought an upmarket job from Amazon. I haven't touched a real fag since, there's no need. My dreadful smokers cough has gone, I can almost run now without becoming breathless, and it's cheaper and cleaner. I suppose 'other substances' are available, but so far, I haven't googled for any. But for anyone wanting to give up the dreaded weed painlessly, ecigs are the way to go.
Hi Steve, welcome!

Got a car we can criticise too ?

;-)
Hi Runfer, !996 Toyota Corolla, looks almost new, absolutely reliable, 52k miles. I'm the third owner, the previous two both died. I cleaned the ashtray out a couple of months ago.
Heh heh ! You're cool, stick around !

Where you from?
Born in Grimsby, lived in Hull, Mabelthorpe, London. Spent six months here and six months there in the New Forest area, settled in Southampton for last 30yrs.
 Substances thread - Zero
>> I'm the third
>> owner, the previous two both died.

Not a lucky car is it. I don't think cleaning the evil spirits from the ash tray will help.
My ( now ironically enough, late ) brother once bought a Vauxhall Carton estate from a firm of local to him undertakers. Beautiful condition, but it had been used for "collections" as opposed to dispatches. He did once say that he hesitated to vacuum out the ashtrays in case they contained elements of someone he knew.
 Substances thread - legacylad
Some friends if mine, who live several thousand miles away, sautée some organic butter over a low heat, then add home grown , and unadulterated 'grass'. All perfectly legal where they live. Then you let it set , and mould it back into a block of butter. Use it for baking chocolate cookies or whatever. I have nibbled on these cookies whilst in the hot tub and playing Jenga ( not at the same time) and laughed so much I thought my head would fall off. My friends, of a similar age to me, have done this for nigh on 35 years, and are both perfectly well adjusted, savvy, sensible humanoids.
Shame I am unable to do it in this country
 Substances thread - Kevin
>My ( now ironically enough, late ) brother once bought a Vauxhall Carton estate
>from a firm of local to him undertakers.

What's the family fascination with hearses Humph?
Cheeky beggar !

;-)
Sad really, the first owner was an elderly gent, and when he passed away, it went to his son's wife (DIL) as a shopping car. Didn't get much use and she passed away in her late twenties. Her kid's insisted that dad kept the car, so it was stored for several years. Eventually he put it up for sale.
 Substances thread - Ted

Nice to hear from another 68 yr old, Steve. This lot are a load of young whippersnappers....apart from Roger and AC who must be near HM's telegram time !

Nice sensible car as well.
Hi Ted, According to the saga ads, we should all be hang gliding and mountaineering. I'm pleased to be able to sit back and enjoy.
 Substances thread - Ted

I'd give anything to be able to get out on the hills up here but me ole body won't have it now after the by-pass op. Still, I can sit in the caravan with a book and a glass of something and enjoy looking at the views.

My hang-gliding equivalent is on 2 wheels with a decent engine. I enjoy retirement and being a generally lazy sod though !
 Substances thread - Alastairw
I am only 45. However yesterday an unsolicited caller tried to sell me a prepaid funeral. Are they trying to tell me something?
 Substances thread - Westpig
>> I am only 45. However yesterday an unsolicited caller tried to sell me a prepaid
>> funeral. Are they trying to tell me something?
>>

Can I have your hi-fi?..;-)
I have made no specific provision for my funeral. I shall rely on the smell to encourage appropriate action.
 Substances thread - Dutchie
Very funny>:) and cheap.
My wife is taking some special painkillers, controlled drug it's called.

Morphine and god knows what else in it.She won't let me have any she hid the tablets.>:)

Substances thread - Roger.
I'm happy this PM - took a Tramadol about 2 hours ago!
We have both donated our corpses to Sheffield Teaching Hospitals - saves the cost of funerals!
You're a skinflint Roger>;) Funerals are expensive.
Funeral costs are b***** outrageous.
 Substances thread - rtj70
They are. But I'm not sure that would have me donate my body to a university for dissection. Head going to a group of second year medics (or dentists) and the rest for a group of first years. And then I suppose you do get put back in one bucket at the end of it and have a funeral.
 Substances thread - Alastairw
When my grandmother passed away, as one of the residual beneficiaries of her will I got a copy of final 'accounts' with my cheque. The two biggest beneficiaries were grannies solicitor and the funeral director.

I'm definitely thinking along the same lines as Roger, so long as med students don't play practical jokes with my remains.
What happens to one's corpse is a matter for the survivors.

Herself and I are of like mind on this. Neither of us wants to become a tiresome vegetable kept alive against all sense. We have a sort of agreement. We both hope we will have the resolve to help the other on his/her way when there's no prospect of anything but more pain and boredom.

The problem will almost certainly be getting hold of the necessary, er, substance or substances. Tuinal and amylobarbitone in sufficient dosage will do the trick. Perhaps a couple of years of simulated sleeplessness, save the stuff up. But we aren't quite there yet fingers crossed.

Terrific cartoon in Private Eye. Tattooed lady being told by the undertaker: 'I appreciate that your husband's full-body tattoos were very expensive, Mrs Thing, but unfortunately we don't have the facilities to skin him.' Tee hee!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 17 Oct 14 at 20:27
Speaking of substances, watched most of The Wolf of Wall Street earlier. Not that keen on L de Caprio, but he put in a decent performance as a demented stockbroker utterly spaced on quaalude and cocaine. Other good performances too, not a dud in the movie, with Joanna Lumley in a cameo role as someone's obliging aunt, ferrying millions in cash into Switzerland. Good script, very funny and very good on the dangers of drug addiction. Recommended.
Latest Forum Posts