Non-motoring > 1974 Prices QUIZ Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 14

1974 Prices QUIZ - Falkirk Bairn
A bit of an eye opener!

tinyurl.com/lpfc7aw

I managed 9/10 which included a few guesses!
 1974 Prices QUIZ - Bromptonaut
9/11, a few guesses plus recollection of what a pint of beer or milk cost in 1978 when I first moved away from home.
 1974 Prices QUIZ - Zero
8. Surprisingly the two things I got wrong were those I spent the most on in 1974. Booze and Fags.
 1974 Prices QUIZ - Runfer D'Hills
11/13 I got the house price and weekly wage wrong, maybe because although I was still at school in those days I was living in Edinburgh where both of those would have probably been higher than the national average and have coloured my memory.
 1974 Prices QUIZ - VxFan
11/13 for me also.

I got the cigarettes and dozen eggs prices wrong.
 1974 Prices QUIZ - smokie
The was the year I left school.

11/13, house prices and flight to SF caught me out.

>> flight to SF caught me out.

I'm not convinced the 'correct' figure is right. Suspect it's based on the then incipient cut price operators or dodge fares like Advance Booking Charters or affinity groups.

Published BA fare at Economy would have been higher IMO.
 1974 Prices QUIZ - No FM2R
I got the Big Mac and the eggs wrong.
 1974 Prices QUIZ - Manatee
9/13. Eggs were expensive, weren't they?
Given that inflation in 1974 was around the 20% mark (peaked at 25% in 75) what was correct in Jan 74 would be some way out by December.
Strikes me, without doing the maths anyway, that the gap between average annual wage and average house prices is wider now than it was then. Might be wrong. Interest rates would of course have a bearing.

Someone cleverer than me would be able to work it out.
>> Strikes me, without doing the maths anyway, that the gap between average annual wage and
>> average house prices is wider now than it was then. Might be wrong. Interest rates
>> would of course have a bearing.

I don't think there's any doubt about that.

The estate in Leeds my parents lived on at time was in final stages of construction which had spanned 40 years. Buyers of the new detached 4-5 houses included teachers, sales reps from the textile industry and bank branch managers.

You'd need to be at level of a doctor or partner in a largish lawyers firm (or inherit a packet) to afford a place there now.
If I were 30 years younger than I am now but earning what I do now ( if that makes any kind of sense ) I couldn't afford to buy the house I'm in now unless I had access to a huge chunk of money to put in to the pot.

Quite scary to think what my son's generation ( he's 14 now ) will need to earn and or save/borrow/inherit just to get a normal family house.
>> If I were 30 years younger than I am now but earning what I do
>> now ( if that makes any kind of sense ) I couldn't afford to buy
>> the house I'm in now unless I had access to a huge chunk of money
>> to put in to the pot.

Exactly same position here. House is worth something like three times what I paid for it in 1998. My salary, were I still working, might just have doubled - and that included a significant promotion.

>> Quite scary to think what my son's generation ( he's 14 now ) will need
>> to earn and or save/borrow/inherit just to get a normal family house.

Equally scary was the amount my young (24 and 28) graduate colleagues were paying for rooms in shared flats - far more than my mortgage. Both have moved on from Civil Service, one as a barrister and other in a campaigning organisation.

The latter is acquiring a public profile and is seen/heard in media from time to time but I suspect she's still not in owner/occupier territory.
 1974 Prices QUIZ - BiggerBadderDave
I got beer and eggs wrong.
Latest Forum Posts