Non-motoring > Grubby or world saving? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 42

Grubby or world saving? - Crankcase
If Private Godfrey's sister Dolly were here, she might term this one "a bit near".

Anyway, do you think this is a laudable aim (as it were) or just a bit revolting?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-29552557

Grubby or world saving? - Bromptonaut
I can sort of see the benefit but in a Uni Halls environment I'd not want to be using a shower knowing previous guy (or gal*) had widdled in it.

* The Lad's hall accom is in mixed flats with shared bathrooms. His sister was on a mixed floor in one place too.
 Grubby or world saving? - Zero
>> I can sort of see the benefit but in a Uni Halls environment I'd not
>> want to be using a shower knowing previous guy (or gal*) had widdled in it.

Well as every shower has been peed in, you would be one grubby student. You'll be telling us next no-one pees in the swimming pool.
 Grubby or world saving? - Duncan
You could save even more water by having a golden shower with a friend.
 Grubby or world saving? - Armel Coussine
>> Well as every shower has been peed in, you would be one grubby student. You'll be telling us next no-one pees in the swimming pool.

I suppose most showers have been peed in, and swimming pools too, but only because people are so filthy and disgusting. I've never peed in a swimming pool.
 Grubby or world saving? - Runfer D'Hills
Nor have I. In the sea of course but never in a swimming pool. I've never peed in my shower either come to think. Wouldn't have occurred to me.
 Grubby or world saving? - Slidingpillar
As far as divers are concerned, there are two types. Those who have peed in their wet suit, and liars.
>> Those who have peed in their wet suit, and liars.

Aye true, but a top tip is not to do it when facing downwards. Gets into your helmet. Think I'll stop there...
 Grubby or world saving? - Dutchie
Liars more likely Slidingpillar.>:)
 Grubby or world saving? - Jetski
Not from the top board anyway.
 Grubby or world saving? - Mike Hannon
Not long after we bought our house in France we had friends round and were discussing improvements including better lavatory arrangements - which are often somewhat dubious in the land of Victor Hugo anyway.
Our friends happen to be 'Sir' and 'Lady' whoever.
When we'd finished outlining what we thought should be done, Lady --- said 'I don't understand - why don't you just pee in the shower like everyone else?'
 Grubby or world saving? - MD
You mean people don't!
 Grubby or world saving? - sherlock47
I didn't want to be the first! Trendsetter, moi? for at least 20 years.
 Grubby or world saving? - Fursty Ferret
I'd have thought it would use more water to hop into the shower every time you needed a pee.
 Grubby or world saving? - Manatee
The water saver's motto - if it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down.

I have no water meter so I flush freely. I don't understand why a country on which at least two feet of water falls annually, on average, needs to save water.

That said, though I wouldn't make a point of widdling in the shower I can't really see the problem.

Perhaps some of those who think it disgusting are happy to smile benignly on cats and dogs defecating everywhere, which I find nauseating - and why anybody wants to follow a dog around picking up its doings is beyond me.

I conclude that it takes all sorts.
 Grubby or world saving? - legacylad
I gave never pee'd in my shower or any swimming pool. Surely if you are desperate you can get out of the pool to take a leak?
OTOH I have pee'd in the sea. Many times. And only last weekend I was in my 'sit n float' drifting down the river for 5 hours, amply supplied with copious quantities of beer & tequila by my friend in her IK, and didn't get out once. Apologies to the fish and other water life.
 Grubby or world saving? - Pat
>>. I don't understand why a country on which at least two feet of water falls annually, on average, needs to save water. <<

Could it be because >>I have no water meter so I flush freely<< ?

Pat
 Grubby or world saving? - BiggerBadderDave
We have an 8-cubic-metre cesspit tank. Very common in these parts, although over the last three years they've been piping up the sewages in the village so by next summer we won't be sharing bath water anymore.

Normal usage for a family of four means phoning for a truck to pump it out every three weeks and handing over £40. That happened once and once only, from then on we realised you have to use water carefully. So baths became a luxury, you just shower. Never flush a number one, only a number two. We have three toilets and they all have a button on the top, no handle. You just press the button until the brownie has disappeared, which is just a fraction of a second. Any water in the washing bowl gets flung into a corner of the garden and the bathwater goes the same way - we bought a pump, so wifey can have the daily luxury.

The three-weeks became ten-weeks.

But our water is metered, and I've never bothered looking at the bill. I've had the lawn sprinklers running every evening since early summer. So for me, the phrase 'saving water' is just a load of crap. Literally.
>> We have an 8-cubic-metre cesspit tank.

Ours must be bigger than that, quite a lot bigger, because the council sucker-truck only comes once or twice a year. The truck can't get anywhere near the cess pit. It's quite an impressive service though: the 4", 6" or whatever bore hoses have to suck the poo, dead mice, masses of bog paper and pee-po-belly-bottom-drawers some 50 yards uphill past the house into the tank, and they do it quite quickly. The pong doesn't last too long either.

Chapeau, council!
I do remember all this slightly squalid water-saving stuff from Oz, where they really do have an incipient water problem even in green, verdant New South Wales. My youngest and her Aussie husband, both very PC elements, made one shower sparingly standing in a water bowl, whose soapy contents were then used to flush the bog. If one actually flushed it in the normal manner they would look very po-faced and disapproving. They wanted one to drink water off the roof as well. They claimed it was OK give or take the odd lump of possum scheiss, I ask you... you could hear the little brutes scuttling around up there for half the night.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 11 Oct 14 at 14:42
 Grubby or world saving? - Crankcase
Coincidentally my latest water bill arrived today. £113 for last April to September. I note in the bill breakdown that the cost for actual water is just under £21. All the rest is "service charges", waste water charge and of course VAT.

Blimey.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 11 Oct 14 at 15:03
 Grubby or world saving? - Ted

We have no restriction on use here in Arcadia. We've got the whole of Thirlmere and Haweswater to go at.

On odd occasions we get a hosepipe ban but then, I just fill up the spare wheely bin and use a bucket to keep my little green pals happy. Anyway, unless they've got the United Utilities retpocileh up or the neighbours squeal on you, they can't catch you with yer hose out !

I do my bit for the environment by not washing our cars.........ever !
 Grubby or world saving? - stan10
Bit late to this post, and this might seem a bit "left field" - but,

"save enough water to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool 26 times". (26? ok - i believe you)
and,
"You'll be telling us next no-one pees in the swimming pool." (agree)
" most showers have been peed in, and swimming pools too" (agree)

So, - why don't we just do away with (Olympic) swimming pools, - they don't really serve any real life purpose, (test yourself properly swimmers, - swim in the sea, or a lake, you're only playing a game), and then we will save the same amount of water, and be more hygienic too, (no pool = no peeing in the pool !)

Also, to discuss with Manatee,
"I don't understand why a country on which at least two feet of water falls annually, on average, needs to save water."

Me neither, especially when we are surrounded by water, granted desalination is expensive, but how much money do we waste elsewhere ??

"That said, though I wouldn't make a point of widdling in the shower I can't really see the problem."
Fair enough - it still gets flushed away ?

"cats and dogs defecating everywhere, which I find nauseating"

Declaring interest here - i am a dog owner. (Pistols at dawn ??)

OK, - every living insect, fish, bird, and mammal has to perform this function as part of their life cycle. We as Homo Sapiens, with our superior brains know that excretia is unhealthy. Unfortunately all other life forms don't. However, to live, they have to perform this function, and so - not being as intelligent as us, they do it when and where they need to.

The only truly domesticated animal is the dog, and so dog owners are the only humans who can track, and remove their companions "waste" for our (humans) benefit. Personally i have twice suffered scratches on my face by diving under bushes to pick up my dog's poo. (I am quite anal about picking up my pal's waste, but maybe not relevant here !)

" why anybody wants to follow a dog around picking up its doings is beyond me. "

Well actually, it's for YOUR benefit !

"dogs defecating everywhere, which I find nauseating"

but you don't want it to be picked up ??
 Grubby or world saving? - Cliff Pope
It's a well known cure for athlete's foot.
Our gym master told us that in 1961.
Dog poo?

>> Dog poo?

No, human pee. I seem to remember that one's own pee can be used as an antiseptic on cuts and abrasions too. It may not work with other people's... I don't really know. Think I read it somewhere.
 Grubby or world saving? - Manatee
There's an urban myth that urine is sterile. I think it's fairly harmless though.

The suggestion of widdling in the shower is a good one; the running water is bound to bring the urge. Better out than in.
 Grubby or world saving? - Cliff Pope
Try this:

www.soas.ac.uk/camelconference2011/file84329.pdf

Grubby or world saving? - sherlock47
Looks as though that might sort out athletes foot. Difficult to get a female camel into the shower though!

Some further enlightenment here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urophagia
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 13 Oct 14 at 15:09
 Grubby or world saving? - Roger.
A toe should fit :-)
 Grubby or world saving? - Old Navy
Naughty, the filter didn't catch that one. :)
 Grubby or world saving? - PhilW
Also good on jellyfish stings........apparently!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwmV60XB1Sc
>> Also good on jellyfish stings........apparently!

NOT!

Wont tell you how I know.
 Grubby or world saving? - PhilW
Your jellyfish sting or someone else Z??
Come on, we want to know!
P
You could imagine even the most docile and gentlemanly of jellyfish cutting up a bit rough if you peed on it. I should think even they have their limits.
 Grubby or world saving? - CGNorwich
Who wants my jellyfish?
I'm not sellyfish.

Ogden Nash
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 13 Oct 14 at 19:03
I've never been stung by a jellyfish although I've seen a few, big ones too. Some are supposed to be much worse than others, even deadly not directly but by toxic shock/intense pain causing involuntary body movements leading to drowning. Dunno how true that is, but I always stepped over dead ones on the beach. Better safe than sorry.

Well done CGN... don't recall that one.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 13 Oct 14 at 19:11
 Grubby or world saving? - BiggerBadderDave
"Dunno how true that is, but I always stepped over dead ones on the beach."

Traumatic flashback? Was Private Ryan there?
>> Was Private Ryan there?

How lurid, the thoughts of someone trapped in the far industrial North with nothing but Babushka fantasies to keep him warm...

No human corpses on my tropical beaches BBD. Just jellyfish.
My lips are sealed.
 Grubby or world saving? - MD
In times of pressure Seals can be blown you know.
 Grubby or world saving? - Roger.
I'm sure the USN Seals would agree !!!
>> In times of pressure Seals can be blown you know.

So can noses.
Latest Forum Posts