Non-motoring > What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 40

What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Iffy
Watching or listening to the game involving our British hope at Wimbledon?

Not sure what time it's on yet, and there's the day job to look after, but I hope to be near or by my netbook or a radio at the very least.

Unlike the England football team, Murray is in good form and playing well, which gives him every chance.

To me, Murray is either a British winner or a Scottish loser.

I'm going for a glorious victory on Friday.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 19:14
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - mikeyb
IMO he has been playing some stonking tennis - think he's in with a good chance, and I will certainly be making an effort to at least see some of the game.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Ted

He's a Scot....it's no concern of anyone south of the Wall.

Ted
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Zero
snaily will be watching Nazi Hunters
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - RattleandSmoke
Will be working hopefully, its picked up now people have forgotton the budget and England got where they deversed.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - R.P.
snaily will be watching Nazi Hunters

or Haggis Hunters. In fairness old Murray seems to have been working on presentation and media skills of late. All the best to him !
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Bromptonaut
Waiting for Saturday and 'le grand depart'. Mark Cavendish is a good bet for the Green Jersey (though he's Manx rather than English) and Bradley Wiggins might finish on the podium!!
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - L'escargot
>> snaily will be watching Nazi Hunters

Wrong! I'll be undergoing a Bone Densitometry Screening.
you must have taped Nazi Hunters tho?
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - helicopter
I have a visit to the dentist planned-

Less painful I think than watching Murray being thrashed by the Majorcan thong fiddler.....
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Roger.
The dentist will probably be less painful than watching the Scotch man lose.
Tennis is very, very, slightly less boring than Association Football, but it's close.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - BiggerBadderDave
"Wrong! I'll be undergoing a Bone Densitometry Screening."

Time for a metal hip...?
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Dog
>>Time for a metal hip...<<

flask.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Netsur
As I get older I find following sport becoming less attractive. Happy to watch football both live and on TV, but I have turned off rugby and tennis is a no no. Maybe its the hooray henry that surrounds them that puts me off I don't know, but they seem far less important that football which has an international and classless appeal.

I could watch velodrome cycling for ever and happy to watch swimming (I used to compete in my youth), but I'm not rushing home to watch tennis. Andy Murray does't want to be British anyway.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - smokie
SWMBO and I recently signed up to some Olympics thing where we had to put our ticket preferences. She wanted sport, I asked for beach volleyball and synchro swimming.
I have signed up for everything except synchronsied swimming and romano grecco wrestling. I full expect to get tickets for the mens 100m finals.

I have signed up to be a volounteer as well.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Duncan
Just been given two tickets for The Festival of Speed. So it seems I will be at Goodwood tomorrow afternoon.

Hey Ho.
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 1 Jul 10 at 22:52
lifes so tough.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Ian (Cape Town)
I'll see your festival of speed, and raise you ... Argentina v Germany. Press box seat.

What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Armel Coussine
>> Argentina v Germany. Press box seat.

Jeez! Footy among the sweating rabbiting hacks... I'd rather take my vuvuzela to Goodwood thanks...

I see you more of a cello man, AC.
How would that go down at Goodwood ?

Ted
One of my grandchildren is taking violin lessons. She has an ear, is very cute, athletic and fit, and looks and sometimes sounds absolutely angelic when she plays the thing (a special small one). However she's also a natural showoff and as mad as a fish, so would rather climb trees or watch Harry Potter DVDs than practise. Her teachers are fond of her but often exasperated.

As for me, I have no musical talent at all although I can hold a tune. I can sort of play a Jew's harp but I haven't tried since all my teeth fell out and were replaced by prosthetic ones. And it is anyway a limited instrument and very quiet.

Me too with the gnashers.......much better to have a Government sponsored set !

I believe I was very musical as a child. My mother says I used to play on the Linoleum all the time......not sure what sort of instrument that is although I believe it was always flat !

Ted
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I'd rather take my vuvuzela to Goodwood thanks...
>>
>>

Goodwood is just up the N1, about 10ks from the Stadium, and a real lowlife area, full of druggies and hookers.
ooooooh - THAT Goodwood... Not OUR Goodwood!!

Well, glad I spent my friday afternoon more fruitfully.

Now Murray's taken over the mantle of Henman, we English can relax.

Always the bridesmaid !

Ted

Just watched the footy, the Ghana Lads stick the Ug Guys'
That's more like it, wasn't going to watch but couldn't turn it off.
Both teams playing their hearts out.
A real kerfuffle in the last few seconds of extra time when Ghana should have won and then a result on penalties, sadly.
Could have been either team all the way through.

Tried a pint of my just matured home brew with it....bit sweet, needs another week to get some of the sugar converted, but it does have a good, lasting head.

Bulletin over.

Ted
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Iffy
...Tried a pint of my just matured home brew...

Have you put the float thingy in to check its strength?

No, Iffy. It was doen in the brewing salon and I'd locked up before I realised.
Couldn't be assed....the lure of the beer was stronger and half time was nearly over. Mind you, I'd had a pint of Pedigree as Hors d'ouvres !
I'll stick the hydro in tomorrow and see what the sg is.

Ted

>> a real lowlife area, full of druggies and hookers.

I dunno Ian... after a few hours of the 'right crowd' at our Goodwood a brisk dip in yours might feel very bracing. Not everyone's cup of tea of course, but such places can be surprisingly welcoming and civilised if you are in convincing local company and don't give offence...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 3 Jul 10 at 01:35
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - VxFan
>> Just been given two tickets for The Festival of Speed.

Lucky git. I had to buy mine. Good day out and the rain held off.

Was glad to get home tonight though and wash away all that dust I picked up from the rally circuit, Bolwer Wildcats, and the tractor / trailer transport up the the rally track.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - WillDeBeest
I watched the Ghana game too, Ted. It was demoralizing: how the Uruguayans had the nerve to celebrate is beyond me.

For those who missed it, Ghana would have won with the last touch of extra time but for a deliberate handball on the goal line. In an equivalent situation, a rugby referee would have awarded a penalty try and the match would have been over; all this referee could do was send off the Uruguayan offender (although not the second player who also flapped his hands at the ball) and award a penalty kick to Ghana. The kick was missed and Ghana lost the resulting shoot-out, but it should never have got that far.

In short, there's something seriously wrong with a game in which committing a red-card offence becomes the right thing for a player to do for his team. I can live with the occasional human refereeing error like Lampard's goal or Henry's handball - those won't be repeated in the same form; but in the same situation as last night, an equally unscrupulous player could and would do exactly the same.

I feel a tiny bit Scottish today: it's Anyone But Uruguay for me.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - L'escargot
I haven't made any plans yet for Friday next week.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - smokie
I didn't see the match, but here's my post from the F1 thread last Tuesday at 10:40

"I don't particularly support any driver but Hamilton got a penalty but such was his skill or tactical prowess (??) it didn't have a significant effect. Same as penalties in football - the goalie can save it, this causing the penalty to be insignificant."
>> >> Just been given two tickets for The Festival of Speed.
>>
>> Lucky git. I had to buy mine. Good day out and the rain held off.
>>
>>

The man who gave me the tickets, said that he "gets a load of these things and doesn't always bother to go"!!

After the men's singles at Wimbles, which my wife made me watch, I idly surfed until I found a demented movie with Laurence Olivier as Zeus, and a cast of hundreds all spouting an American script but set in Elysium or somewhere, with visits to the underworld.

Better than just another pill game, and you don't even have to keep an eye on what's happening.
Wow: the bad guys have nicked the hero's motor (captured his flying horse, Pegasus, in a net and taken him away)!

Ah, here's Zeus again imitating Poirot in an arch mood, but with painful haemorrhoids.

God, I can't tear myself away. French movie critics had a word for these movies: 'delirious'.
 What will you be doing on Friday afternoon? - Bagpuss
Rings a bell. Not "Clash of the Titans" by any chance?
The original I hope - new one is crap and camp in the wrong places.
>> "Clash of the Titans"

You a schlock aficionado too Bagpuss? Well done! The very one!

And what a colossal steaming pile of enjoyable garbage it was.

(PU, surely the remake didn't have Laurence Olivier as Zeus? If it did, I want to see it too).

Even so sweetie, how can anything possibly be camp in the wrong places? Seems almost a contradiction in terms. I mean what's the point in being camp in the right places? Just a waste, seems to me.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 4 Jul 10 at 19:40
You're right - it didn't the male lead seemed to have been a splinter from Howard's Way so wooden was his acting..
What will I be doing on Friday afternoon?

I will be thanking God that Hillary Clinton is not my prospective mother-in-law.
Latest Forum Posts