Non-motoring > Honeywell Evohome Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 4

Honeywell Evohome - Fursty Ferret
Bitten the bullet and installed this in the house. 9 radiator valves, hot water control and a complete rewire of the heating system later it's finally up and running and very impressive.

connectedproducts.honeywelluk.com/evohome/

The craze of building a biggish house and then using one thermostat and TRVs to regulate the temperature is insane. This is the only way I could think of to zone the house without redecorating afterwards.

Pros? Very granular control, nice to have the bathroom warm only in the mornings and late evenings, and the lounge off during the day etc. Discovered that the original hot water stat on the tank actually controls at 65C, not the 50C on the dial (being an unvented cylinder the original stat has to stay in for protection).

Big screen in the hall telling you exactly what each room / zone is doing. Remote control via phone app. The wiring centre for the heating is now tidy and logically laid out (took the most time).

Cons? Expensive. You'd never recover the outlay in money saved, especially so if you paid for the installation which would take most of a day (well, it took me most of the day...). With an unvented cylinder you'll probably lose the immersion heater unless you have a separate pocket for the probe.

The wireless TRVs while not loud, are noticeable. Like a normal motorised valve but a bit quieter.
 Honeywell Evohome - Roger.
It has to be worth it for the convenience alone, if one works away from home for periods of time.
 Honeywell Evohome - Zero
>> The craze of building a biggish house and then using one thermostat and TRVs to
>> regulate the temperature is insane.

Its not, really. Its the most sensible uncomplicated cost effective way to do it. Possibly zone upstairs and down stairs in a large house, because of occupation patterns.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 Oct 14 at 09:14
 Honeywell Evohome - Fursty Ferret
>>
>> >> The craze of building a biggish house and then using one thermostat and TRVs
>> to
>> >> regulate the temperature is insane.
>>
>> Its not, really. Its the most sensible uncomplicated cost effective way to do it.
>>

It would just about be bearable if they stuck a zoning valve in between the two floors, but for the sake of £50 and 10 feet of cable, you're stuck heating the whole house to keep one room warm. Things like bathrooms which draw a disproportionate amount of heat from the system because, well, who wants a take a dump in the cold?

Like many new builds, the cost is negligible at installation but massively expensive once it's finished.

Also - TRVs are slow, prone to sticking, and not particularly adjustable. I've only got experience of Pegler and Drayton ones, admittedly.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 10 Oct 14 at 09:18
 Honeywell Evohome - sherlock47
>>>TRVs are slow, prone to sticking, and not particularly adjustable. I've only got experience of Pegler and Drayton ones, admittedly. <<<

The valve section for the electronic controls are exactly the same are they not?

At first thought, the conventional TRV based on a waxstat? will provide an element of porportional control - do the electronic ones do that or provide just on/off control? Really I need to do more homework, but you may have the answer?

I have a system with 3 zones, zone control with a mixture of TRVs and 2 programable (time/temp) thermostats. Bit of a dogs dinner, but a solid ground floor makes it difficult to zone up and down.
Latest Forum Posts