Non-motoring > Drone Cameras Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 45

Drone Cameras - BobbyG
news.stv.tv/north/295083-drone-camera-captures-flooding-in-stonehaven-amid-rain-and-wind/

Quite impressed how stable this seems to be when it is up there to film the extreme wind and rain? Whats to stop you filming above your favourite football ground and watching the game free of charge? I assume these beam live pictures back to a screen of some sort?

Must be ideal for all sorts of work - surveying the roof of a building? Don't know what you do though if it breaks down in mid air and lands on that roof though!

Reminds me of earlier this year, out walking the dog on the outskirts of Calderbank and met this guy in the middle of nowhere. All around us was long grass, maybe two feet high or so and he had been flying his model helicopter and it had came down in the grass. Somewhere!

Reckon the best way of finding it would have been to put one of these drone things up to look for it!
 Drone Cameras - bathtub tom
Privacy could become an issue with these things, or is there suitable legislation in force?
 Drone Cameras - wokingham
There is legislation, who knows if it is suitable! I picked one item out - if you are operating such a device for money you need a full Commercial Pilot's License to do so!
www.buzzflyer.co.uk/aerial-photo-uav-fpv-law.asp
 Drone Cameras - No FM2R
I think its already an issue;

e.g. if a policeman wants to fly over a farm and look down to see what's going on, or use a helicopter to track someone through a housing estate, then he can do so without a warrant.

I guess we accept that.

But what happens if that same policeman wants to use a drone to monitor whats going on in that farm. Does he need a warrant now? And what about if it repeatedly flies over your property while following someone through a housing estate, now how do we feel?

Its going to cause trouble. That trouble has always existed because of satellites, but drones make it somehow more "real" and inescapable.

And its difficult to see how existing legislation can be appropriate given the changes in technology and methodology.

Personally I don't care, but I bet a lot of people will.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 8 Oct 14 at 16:40
 Drone Cameras - Stuartli
There is guidance on the subject, as pointed out:

www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?CATID=1995

Drone Cameras - No FM2R
Isn't that oriented towards safe and authorised usage, rather than privacy of the watched?
 Drone Cameras - sherlock47
>>>And its difficult to see how existing legislation can be appropriate given the changes in technology and methodology.<<<

I guess the same discussions happened over 200 years ago, with the invention of the hot air balloon?

The difference is that the people who were ' against ,' did not have the easy methods of communication to allow co-ordinated action.
 Drone Cameras - Mapmaker
>>Quite impressed how stable this seems to be when it is up there to film the extreme wind and rain?

Thanks to image stablisation, just like you have on your mobile phone. You might not remember how juddery cine films or indeed video films used to be. Yet now, no matter how many bottles of red you've drunk, your hand-held mobile phone can produce a steady shot.
 Drone Cameras - Zero
With video, you can see the effects of image stabilisation. I can always tell when its been applied.

The Drone images are stable because the platform is stable.
 Drone Cameras - John Boy
Aren't they the obvious alternative to a suicide bomber? Once they're in the air, how does anyone know where the pilot is?
 Drone Cameras - Zero
>> Aren't they the obvious alternative to a suicide bomber? Once they're in the air, how
>> does anyone know where the pilot is?

Only the big military ones. Camera drones can't take much of a payload.
 Drone Cameras - Mapmaker
>>Camera drones can't take much of a payload.

It doesn't take much of a payload delivered to the garden of No 10...
 Drone Cameras - Focusless
Caught a BBC Click episode featuring a big chunk on drones a couple of months ago; undemanding but quite interesting and informative:
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04dy36n/click-09082014
 Drone Cameras - John Boy
Eddie Mitchell, a news photographer based in Brighton, uses one sometimes:

twitter.com/brightonsnapper/media
 Drone Cameras - BobbyG
Don't know if it's also being shown in England but up here there is a program on Friday all about Danny McCaskills latest video of bike riding.
Much of it was filmed with drones.
 Drone Cameras - Mike Hannon
There was a bit in the French media last week about a foreign tourist - I can't remember the nationality but may have been Japanese - who was arrested after flying a camera drone over the cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris.
Early in the summer I was sitting on a cafe terrace near Ouistreham, watching a guy flying a camera drone on the beach. It's not often these days that I get the 'I want one of those' feeling but I nearly did then.
 Drone Cameras - CGNorwich
www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/camera-drone-shot-suspected-privacy-row-36083
 Drone Cameras - legacylad
They are illegal in National Parks in the US. A foreign tourist recently crashed one in Yellowstone and received a hefty fine, and there is another case pending. The son of a friend of mine builds them, and she tells me his latest one has a range of 3 miles....presumably operated within line of sight, so to speak.
 Drone Cameras - Fursty Ferret
This is more fun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwL0t5kPf6E
Brilliant!
 Drone Cameras - zippy
Cool!

Now where is the version that allows a person to ride one?
 Drone Cameras - Old Navy

>> Now where is the version that allows a person to ride one?
>>

Do you mean like the hover motorbikes in Star Wars?
 Drone Cameras - Zero
>>
>> >> Now where is the version that allows a person to ride one?
>> >>
>>
>> Do you mean like the hover motorbikes in Star Wars?

Which first appeared in Fireball XL5,

Which always struck me as a great name for a fast ford coupe.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Oct 14 at 23:05
 Drone Cameras - Runfer D'Hills
Oh jeez I need one of those ! Fanflippingtastic !
 Drone Cameras - Armel Coussine
Terrific breakneck fun, but one or two definitive crashes I noticed, with a kaleidoscopic cartwheeling ending in a fading still image... A bit like dying perhaps.

Perhaps when you pilot one of those things by camera for a while, you get to believe you actually are the thing, and when it crashes you die of a heart attack. Stands to reason. Makes sense in science-fiction terms.
You can pick one up with a screen built into the controller for about £100 on the high street. Get one without the camera and you'll pay about £40. The gyro stabilisation technology is now so widespread the cost is tiny.
 Drone Cameras - commerdriver
>> You can pick one up with a screen built into the controller for about £100
>> on the high street. Get one without the camera and you'll pay about £40. The
>> gyro stabilisation technology is now so widespread the cost is tiny.
>>
How long before you end up flying an Airbus without even getting on the plane :-)
 Drone Cameras - Zero
>> How long before you end up flying an Airbus without even getting on the plane
>> :-)

About two years ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rt9zX1rZFU
 Drone Cameras - John Boy
>> About two years ago.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rt9zX1rZFU
>>
That was spoilt for me when the guy walked round the back and pushed it onto the runway. Given the model making skills on display, I was expecting a little tug to appear.
>> How long before you end up flying an Airbus without even getting on the plane
>> :-)
>>

Can only improve my landings!
 Drone Cameras - Fullchat
Yeah we heard :)))
 Drone Cameras - Duncan
>> The gyro stabilisation technology is now so widespread the cost is tiny.
>>

Have stabilisation systems moved on to binoculars in a cost effective way? Or are they two different animals?
 Drone Cameras - spamcan61
Saw this baby take off and hover over the Cob at Lyme Regis couple of weekends ago, rather eerie the way it can hover absolutely still a hundred foot up. I did wonder how well it would do in a coming together with a big gull or two!

www.helipov.com/index.php/equipment/
 Drone Cameras - Zero
>> >> The gyro stabilisation technology is now so widespread the cost is tiny.
>> >>
>>
>> Have stabilisation systems moved on to binoculars in a cost effective way? Or are they
>> two different animals?

They are the same animal. Gyros are not used, a series of accelerometers are employed, exactly the same as, and in the same way as physical image stabilisation systems in cameras. And no, image stabilised binoculars are still expensive.
>> They are the same animal. Gyros are not used, a series of accelerometers are employed,
>> exactly the same as, and in the same way as physical image stabilisation systems in
>> cameras. And no, image stabilised binoculars are still expensive.
>>

Can't stabilise a multi-rotor craft with accelerometers alone.

Gyros now built on-chip using vibrating structure techniques. £5 gets you one of these, measuring in 9 degrees of freedom.

www.st.com/web/en/catalog/sense_power/FM89/SC1448/PF258556
 Drone Cameras - Zero
>> >> They are the same animal. Gyros are not used, a series of accelerometers are
>> employed,
>> >> exactly the same as, and in the same way as physical image stabilisation systems
>> in
>> >> cameras. And no, image stabilised binoculars are still expensive.
>> >>
>>
>> Can't stabilise a multi-rotor craft with accelerometers alone.

Thats a package full of accelerometers. Some of them vibrating some of them not. None of them spinning like a giro.

Oh and stabilisation is stabilisation, doesn't matter how many rotors.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 10 Oct 14 at 15:36
>> Thats a package full of accelerometers. Some of them vibrating some of them not.

Well, obviously. A gyroscope doesn't have to spin.
>> This is more fun.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwL0t5kPf6E

Just been chatting about this over a pub lunch to a colleague who happens to be one of the top F3A (sort of dressage for remote control planes) pilots in the UK He said that what's shown in the video is effectively banned in this country, as CAA regs stipulate that for '1st person' flying you have to have line of sight visibility to the plane, which the trees prevent. (There also has to be somebody accompanying the 'pilot'.) Shame :)
 Drone Cameras - John Boy
Look out!

tinyurl.com/lsun9ay
 Drone Cameras - Fullchat
Sound like wasps on steroids :)
 Drone Cameras - J Bonington Jagworth
"watching the game free of charge"

The first ten minutes, perhaps.. :-)
 Drone Cameras - Bromptonaut
www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/oct/10/hawk-attacks-drone-video
 Drone Cameras - Mike Hannon
The first Christmas toy catalogue arrived in the post yesterday - a French national chain called Jouet Club. They have a drone with camera for 90 euros and a helicopter with camera for 50. This is becoming interesting.
 Drone Cameras - Stuartli
>>This is becoming interesting.>>

Good prices. I have a friend whose drone coast more than £300 as did his fellow enthusiast's model.

Both post remarkable shots, especially those taken over the coastal area of my seaside town, on social media websites.
 Drone Cameras and Other Mischief - Bromptonaut
Serbia v Albania footy match suspended after drone flies contentious flag over pich:

www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/14/serbia-albania-euro-2016-flag-halted
 Drone Cameras - BobbyG
www.banggood.com/Wholesale-RC-Quadcopters-c-1848.html

Latest Forum Posts