Non-motoring > Manchester Piccadilly to Chester Road, Mcr Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 32

Manchester Piccadilly to Chester Road, Mcr - R.P.
Coming to Manchester to pick up a bike from Williams BMW (365 Chester Road) by train, possibly Friday. Which bus/Metro tram thing do I need ?

Thanks in Advance.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 15:58
 Manchester Piccadilly to Chester Road, Mcr - RattleandSmoke
Trafford Bar is the nearest Metrolink stop or you could get the 256 bus. The tram is far quicker and probably cheaper too! Just catch it from Picciddily station.
Cheers Rattle....easy to find the Metro stop from Piccadilly, must be all of 30 years when I was there last....has the tram got a route number ?
 Manchester Piccadilly to Chester Road, Mcr - rtj70
The tram stop for Piccadilly is literally down an escalator from the train station. You'll notice a big difference to the train station then.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 16:22
No route number but any Altrincham bound tram will go there. The destination is clearlty labeled on the front of the tram :). Think it will be about £1.80 single I think.

And yep the station is the most pleasent one I have ever been to in the UK.
Thanks Rattle, just checked to out on their website seems simple enough. I'll have a whinge about the dealer after I get my bike back :-)
I just had a thought that nearest stop may be Cornbrook. Do you have the postcode of the dealer? I can picture where it is but but I have a feeling Cornbrook is actually the nearest stop.
M16 9EZ Rattle.
Found it, M16 9EZ so Cornbrook will be the nearest stop :).

It is actually quite a scenic route that too but you will only be on the tram for 5 minutes. Get the Atrincham tram and yours is the stop after GMEX.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 17:12
Thanks.....it all seems quite simple. How much of a walk will it be from the stop ? bearing in mind I'll be in motorcycle gear and it's likely to be a scorcher....
Sorted less than .12 of a mile....! Orientated the local map and found where the dealer is.
I would avoid tomorrow as its going to be very wet in most of the West part of the UK, Friday the weather looks to be as glourius as ever. Its all down for me for speccing a car without aircon because we don't get summers anymore!

The walk is less than five minutes but it is a little bit complex because its a major junction. I think google map explains better

maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=M16+9EZ&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Manchester+M16+9EZ&gl=uk&ei=nGwrTNPVBNyosQaMk-DEBA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

The tram stop is the one next to Dinton Street. I have never actually got off at that station, its not in the best of areas, its not rough as such it is just very industrial.

Manchester Piccadilly to Chester Road, Mcr - Ted
Cornbrook, only 100 yds away....but.....I would check that you can actually get off there and access the street. It's always just been an interchange for the Eccles branch...I think you may be able to now. If you can, any tram showing Altrincham or Eccles will stop.
Trafford Bar is where Chester Road meets Talbot Road and quite a hike.

I would hop a black cab, plenty at Piccadilly.
I walked mile or so carrying all my kit when I picked my bike up. I was knacked and it wasn't even hot !

Ted

Edit, just looked at Rats' map. The showroom is actually in the junction ....near the tram stop.
Last edited by: silence of the cams on Wed 30 Jun 10 at 17:33
You can get off at street level now, I think is because they built appartments near by. Originally there was no street level access :).

Manchester Piccadilly to Chester Road, Mcr - Zero
>> stop ? bearing in mind I'll be in motorcycle gear and it's likely to be
>> a scorcher....

So your gonna wear the leathers and boots on the train, and the tram, and then do the bikers spastic walk to the shop? You wil be scareing old ladies and young children.

Put it in a rucksack man, and wear real clothes on the way there.
Thanks Rattle it will be Friday as I am otherwise engaged tomorrow, the weather was a consideration (as always with elective bike trips).

Zero, I shall be wearing a textile suit over Draggin bike jeans and a tee shirt, which is both comfortable in heat and waterproof and allows you to walk in perfectly upright manner (I don't know why chaps adopt the waddle you refer to either), boots will be hand made Altbergs which appear pretty low key - No to rucksacks for me on a bike for safety reason
Thanks again Rattle - if I ask nicely they may pick me up from the station, but happy to dodge the traffic where necessary !
Yeah it should only take ten minutes in a taxi but then it will only take ten minutes on the tram too. It will probably cost around £6 in a taxi.

The tram ticket machines now take debit cards too which is always handy if you don't have enough change on you or it thinks your £10 note is a fake.
Ah well, won't need to do it now, Williams phoned me that they will be returning the bike to me direct despite a "misunderstanding" over costs - job sorted to my satisfaction...thanks all useful info though.
 Manchester Piccadilly to Chester Road, Mcr - Netsur
Pity

I had just read this thread and was going to offer my services as a free taxi, if only to meet a fellow forum user!

I had that in mind as well, Espaddie....then I thought ' No, it's only Pugly, let him walk ! ' :-)

Ted
wouldnt want a greasy biker in my nice new taxi, - sorry Ford Galaxy.

You might not mind one of these, Zedrick. They're members of a bike club I've been keen to join for some years...without success !

tinyurl.com/3yw739l

Ted
too many to fit in a Galaxy, would have to leave a couple on the pavement!
Have you really gone and bought a Ford Galaxy then? And use it as a taxi? Best of luck if that's what you're planning.
No I havent, I was refering to Espada.
:-) I thought he had an S-MAX.
same bus, different name
Thanks it would have been nice to meet you - maybe Ted would have allowed me a "seater" - as I say what seemed to be irreconcilable differences between Williams and I have now been resolved.
 Manchester Piccadilly to Chester Road, Mcr - Netsur
I think an S-Max has a far superior driving feel to a Galaxy ;-)

It's not a bus - it a seven seat sports car............
One more seat and you would have needed a PSV license.
I know this old news now but for future reference I was at Cornbrook station yesterday and you can see the BMW bike place. It is just opposite the tram station as Ted says.

Just in case Pug needs to go and insert a large garden gnome at the dealers :).
I've had my bike back from them, still have an unresolved warranty issue....I've seem some rather ugly gnomes in Homebargains for a quid or less.
Latest Forum Posts