Non-motoring > sky hd question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 6

sky hd question - nice but dim
Does anyone know about these new sky hd box with WiFi compatibility?

I have a couple of questions regarding them.

Can I connect a sky box up to a internet service not provided by sky for catching up on demand and internet services?

If the above is true, would it connect to a mobile broadband mifi? I'm aware of the speed and bandwidth limitations with such.
 sky hd question - Cockle
Not sure about the mobile bit but I have mine working over BT Infinity perfectly OK.
 sky hd question - No FM2R
It will not be able to detect the difference between WiFi generated from a BT Router, for example, and WiFi generated by a MiFi device. Speed/capacity to one side.

The fact that one has a 3G/4G backhaul and the other has cable/copper/fibre backhaul will make no difference.
 sky hd question - Fullchat
As long as it connects to your router you are in business. Just saves hard wire.
Thanks for all replies, you more or less confirmed my thoughts. Not for me but relay on my advice on this.
 sky hd question - Zero
>> It will not be able to detect the difference between WiFi generated from a BT
>> Router, for example, and WiFi generated by a MiFi device. Speed/capacity to one side.

But it may decide that speed is not fast enough on a MiFi device. They check QoS first before they deliver your content.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 5 Oct 14 at 19:34
Zero - I can stream itv and bbc online on 1.6mbps on copper and the mifi runs at 2mbps on average. But will advise that and also that their 15gb is generous but not where streaming is concerned.
Latest Forum Posts