Non-motoring > Think I'd better have another drink! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 41

Think I'd better have another drink! - PhilW
www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/11136111/New-drug-for-mild-alcoholics-drinking-two-glasses-of-wine-a-night.html

So taking a pill that alters your brain is better than drinking a glass or two of wine?

Matt has a good take on it
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/

I reckon I'm up to about 2050!
P
 Think I'd better have another drink! - wokingham
I already have 90% of my life behind me and I am going to die when I am taken, overweight, happy, and with a stomach full of red meat, red wine and other things that I like. I don't want to be 90+, paying £1000 a month for a care home and eating carp food. If I stop posting you will know I have "left the room"
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Falkirk Bairn
>> paying £1000 a month

It's probably nearer £3,000 per month these days!
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Fri 3 Oct 14 at 20:19
 Think I'd better have another drink! - mikeyb
>> >> paying £1000 a month
>>
>> It's probably nearer £3,000 per month these days!
>>

You beat me to it - a friend has just started to use a care home for a relative £800 p/w
 Think I'd better have another drink! - PhilW
"a friend has just started to use a care home for a relative £800 p/w "

That would buy a heck of a lot of wine (or even better Macallan single malt) and cigars
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Lygonos
So NICE thinks the taxpayer should happily pay £1000 a year for a tablet that allows moderately excessive drinkers to reduce their alcohol intake by a drink or two per week.

Utter madness.

Think I'd better have another drink! - Runfer D'Hills
Agreed Lygonos. Maybe instead they should just inflate the price of alcoholic drinks to ten or more times their reasonable value ( like they've done with tobacco products )

The hardened drinkers would still drink ( as they will anyway ) but the casual users who drink a bit more than they should but don't rely on it, would do so less.

Arguably alcohol causes far more problems in society than tobacco ever did but of course limiting the opportunity to use tobacco and falsely inflating its price was less of a risk to votes than doing the same to alcohol.

Who would you rather be driven home by or try to have a sensible conversation with, a person who'd had 10 cigarettes that day or a person who had had 10 alcoholic drinks that day?
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Zero
>> Agreed Lygonos. Maybe instead they should just inflate the price of alcoholic drinks to ten
>> or more times their reasonable value ( like they've done with tobacco products )
>>
>> The hardened drinkers would still drink ( as they will anyway )

Waste of time then isn't it, its not the casual / moderate / light drinkers that cause the problems, but they will get penalised anyway.

Pills wont fix it, only social attitudes can do that. As far as drink driving goes, social pressure has done more to reduce that than any other other method.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Ted

Just reaching for my unopened bockle of Aldi Highland gutrot....cheers evelybudy !
 Think I'd better have another drink! - bathtub tom
See Tesco have 1 litre Grouse for £18.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - DP
We are watching someone we know battle a serious alcohol addiction at the moment. To the point where the job has gone, the marriage isn't far behind, and social services are about to be involved with regard to the children. This individual is at least aware in their all too rare sober moments that they have a serious issue and have approached the GP for help.

It is staggering how little support there is for people with serious alcohol addiction.. I guess it is far easier to go after the easy targets, as seems to be the way with modern government, than to help people whose lives are in pieces through serious alcohol addiction.

The person I refer to above is degree educated, a qualified professional, and until about 2 years ago was a hard working taxpayer and devoted parent. A few glasses of wine of an evening escalated into four bottles a day. It can happen to anyone.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - CGNorwich
"It can happen to anyone."

Why doesn't it then? It's not just random The fact that not every person who drinks becomes an alcoholic it surely points to some difference in the mental or physical make up of alcoholics and non-alcoholics.

There does seem to be a type of person who is prone to addiction by nature whether it is alcohol, drugs tobacco or gambling .
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Armel Coussine
>> a type of person who is prone to addiction by nature whether it is alcohol, drugs tobacco or gambling .

I may be such a person. But by spreading the load (so to speak) with multiple addictions and wide experimentation I seem to have avoided the worst effects in all cases, except tobacco. Even that hasn't made me seriously ill yet, and I am now of an age when that wouldn't be all that surprising or disastrous.

Drink nearly became a problem when I was quite young. But the effects of excess were so nasty that I avoided that downhill rush into proper unstoppable alcoholism. Indeed hardly touched a drop for many years, drank moderately for a couple of decades and now drink a fair amount, but not a damaging amount.

So far so good though. I could snuff it tomorrow although I don't want to and don't expect to.

Is this you then AC - I recognise a few :-)

Traits of those prone to addiction

Making impulsive choices

Constantly seeking excitement and new sensations

Feeling alienated from mainstream society

Valuing deviant or nonconformist behavior

Lacking patience such as having trouble waiting for delayed gratification
>> Is this you then AC - I recognise a few :-)

No, it isn't me, or not much of it. I was quite neurotic, impulsive etc. when young, but have straightened out and mellowed with age. I've been lucky in life so far.

The worst addiction I have these days is posting here I think.
SQ
>> Lacking patience such as having trouble waiting for delayed gratification

In my late teens early 20s I was on the edge of alcoholism,but through no effort of mine but merely circumstantial life style changes I never rushed headlong over the edge. I have and addictive personality, and I reckon (with the exception of alienated from mainstream society) all of those apply to me in spades.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 4 Oct 14 at 20:56
>> "It can happen to anyone."
>>
>> Why doesn't it then? It's not just random The fact that not every person who
>> drinks becomes an alcoholic it surely points to some difference in the mental or physical
>> make up of alcoholics and non-alcoholics.
>>
>> There does seem to be a type of person who is prone to addiction by
>> nature whether it is alcohol, drugs tobacco or gambling .

I guess it's a combination of personality, genetics and life experiences. Addiction is known to be more prevalent in people who've suffered abuse or other traumatic experiences, but then again it's also not exclusive to these people either.

I've only known this person for a few years so I can't say what their upbringing was like or what they have been through. All I know is they were, outwardly at least, fully functional, articulate, intelligent and hard working. Now they are a complete wreck who can't be depended upon to do anything, and a pale shadow of their former self.

I definitely agree there is such as thing as an addictive personality though.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Bromptonaut
>> It is staggering how little support there is for people with serious alcohol addiction.. I
>> guess it is far easier to go after the easy targets, as seems to be
>> the way with modern government, than to help people whose lives are in pieces through
>> serious alcohol addiction.

It's a mental health issue and mental health seems destined to be the Cinderella service under all species of politics.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - mikeyb

>> It's a mental health issue and mental health seems destined to be the Cinderella service
>> under all species of politics.
>>

Certainly is. Mrs B's line of work is in this sector and its certainly not high up on anyone's agendas.

Had cause to use the Children's Hospital over the last couple of years and its chalk and cheese - even the porter on the way down to theatre mentioned that he didn't understand why 6 month old furniture was being chucked out and replaced with new - apparently it it didn't match the newly chosen colour scheme
 Think I'd better have another drink! - wokingham
Quite correct. I typed month when I meant week!
I love this idea that if you are obese , smoke and drink yourself silly you won't end up in a care home. Wishful thinking I'm afraid. The last one I visited there were examples of all three. The fact is that you just tend to arrive there earlier than perhaps you might have done if you had looked after yourself a little bit
 Think I'd better have another drink! - legacylad
I'll drink to that....currently imbibing Sierra Nevada Pale Ale @ 5.6%. 12 bottles $11.99 + tax at Raleys. Indian summer here Northern California, pushing 100 tomorrow in Sacramento so floating down the south fork of the American River on posh inner tubes. Lots of drink involved, but only class 1 & 2 rapids. Talking of drink, I'm now converted to proper smooth tequila. Sipping stuff, in between home made jugs of margerita. Another skill I am learning.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Runfer D'Hills
I've an odd relationship with alcohol. I don't mind a drink but hate being drunk. I don't mind others drinking but don't enjoy their company when they've had too much. Never seen the attraction in binge drinking, people who, when sober are interesting, when having had a couple might even be livelier and more amusing, generally become an embarrassment to themselves and those around them when they've had too much. Very seldom if ever does excess alcohol improve anyone.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - legacylad
Totally agree Runfer ...I began drinking beer whilst on a YHA holiday with friends aged 15! I abhor any drunken behaviour in public but a lot of people do not know when to say 'enough '. I am a social drinker, most days in fact, enjoying a few pints after work, or after a walk, yet strangely I abstain from booze most often when on holiday. Especially ski trips when I often go teetotal for the duration.
I must have at least 24 decent bottles of wine at my place, good stuff bought whilst on offer, plus untold bottles of beer & spirits bought for me as presents and never used! Strange, but I would feel incredibly guilty if I had so much as a glass of wine at home on my own. Probably a good thing.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Cliff Pope
>> but I would feel incredibly guilty if I had so
>> much as a glass of wine at home on my own.
>>

I always have a glass of wine on my own at home, if by alone you include company but no one else drinking. My wife doesn't drink at all, nor do the children despite my best persuasive efforts.
The single glass (invariably red) spans the period from just before dinner into the early stages of the meal. I find it a wonderfully civilised and relaxing way of rounding off the "working" part of the day.
I experience not the slightest temptation to ever have two or more in those circumstances.

In congenial company I will happily and without a twinge of guilt sink a bottle or more, but that happens very rarely.
So the pills would be totally wasted on me.

Addiction? I don't think so, even though I like alcohol. There are lots of other pleasures and simple routines in life that I look forward to, but I don't think that makes them addictive.
There's a blast here this evening in honour of my middle daughter's birthday. A niece-in-law back from Brazil two days ago has some special Brazilian firewater with which she intends to make special powerful Brazilian cocktails from a recipe.

That will be at 6.30. Nevertheless I fully intend to jump the gun in 15 minutes' time with some vodka. But I won't get ratted, misbehave or get a headache (unless the Brazilian stuff is especially toxic).
 Think I'd better have another drink! - No FM2R
>> has some special Brazilian firewater with which she intends to make special powerful Brazilian cocktails from a recipe.

Ooo, I'm guessing caipiriña made from cachaça. The best tip is to have all the ingredients as cold as possible.
>> Ooo, I'm guessing caipiriña made from cachaça. The best tip is to have all the ingredients as cold as possible.

Spot on FMR! I just checked on the empty bottle in the other room. The drinks had lots of ice and were delicious. There are still ten people in there rabbiting away loudly. Heh heh...

(Sorry about the special characters. Not my fault).
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 4 Oct 14 at 21:51
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Lygonos
>>It is staggering how little support there is for people with serious alcohol addiction

There's plenty of support.

The problem is it has little to offer those who either refuse to believe they have a problem, or are only briefly and intermittently insightful that they need help (usually when sober).

>> >>It is staggering how little support there is for people with serious alcohol addiction
>>
>> There's plenty of support.
>>
>> The problem is it has little to offer those who either refuse to believe they
>> have a problem, or are only briefly and intermittently insightful that they need help (usually
>> when sober).
>>
>>

I can't imagine many addicts would think they needed help while under the influence of whatever they are addicted to. Lucidity surely only comes with sobriety and by definition that is going to be a rarity for any addict. The other issue of course is that for a full blown alcoholic, sobriety can be fatal.

There was a documentary on TV recently about a 28yr old alcoholic man in the states who was in a terrible state, and after a medical exam was told in no uncertain terms to take help or die. He took the help, but suffered a massive heart attack and died 17 days into rehab. Addiction truly is an awful thing.
>> I can't imagine many addicts would think they needed help while under the influence of whatever they are addicted to. Lucidity surely only comes with sobriety and by definition that is going to be a rarity for any addict.

Not really DP. Substances of all sorts bring lucidity. That's why people take to them in the first place.

I went out at 4.15 today and spent the rest of the afternoon until an hour ago driving all over Surrey and Sussex, listening to a granddaughter playing surprisingly good violin and being gently berated by her very nice teacher for all her sour notes and rushed bars (he added that she needs a bigger fiddle pretty soon), getting totally soaked in a tropical downpour on the way back to the car park (my back is still wet and cold even now), learning that her mother, my middle daughter, has done a grand's worth of damage to the front end and suspension of her A-class diesel by running up a bank or wall or something in a moment of distraction by a nipper, silly damn girl...

On getting home guess what? Yes I poured an enormous one. I am about to pour another. Believe me, addictions have their uses.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Mapmaker
What bemuses me is that it's supposed to work on the dopamine release that you get when you take a mouthful of alcohol.

I don't (think I) drink to get drunk, I drink because I'm drinking delicious-tasting wines. If it manages to take away the pleasure of a crisp, salty Manzanilla, then what is it going to do to the pleasure of a smidgen of foie gras, or a Mahler symphony, or the sight of a Rembrandt?
 Think I'd better have another drink! - Bromptonaut
>> What bemuses me is that it's supposed to work on the dopamine release that you
>> get when you take a mouthful of alcohol.

If it mucks about with that I'd be chary of it's interaction with ant-depressant/anti anxiety treatments too.
There's a psychoactive pill that acts directly on the central nervous system to remove the desire to smoke. I got the quack to prescribe some and tried it. It sort of worked, but I stopped taking it because I noticed incipient, not very pleasant side effects, worse than those from illegal psychoactives, anyway the more traditional ones.

>> If it manages to take away the pleasure of a crisp, salty Manzanilla, then what
>> is it going to do to the pleasure of a smidgen of foie gras, or
>> a Mahler symphony, or the sight of a Rembrandt?
>>

Don' t worry it's just that in future you will enjoy a glass of Tizer, a sliice of liver sausage, bit of Status Quo, and the latest Tracey Emin.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - WillDeBeest
Take two and you'll be happy with Sunny Delight, Pepperami, Miley Cyrus and the Hallmark catalogue. (I was going to suggest Jack Vettriano but I didn't seem the moment to pick on Z.)
};---)
>> Don' t worry it's just that in future you will enjoy a glass of Tizer,
>> a sliice of liver sausage, bit of Status Quo, and the latest Tracey Emin.

You wont get any of that, Tracey will have used all the Tizer and mouldy liver sausage (with the addition of some bodily fluids probably) in her latest work.

As far as SQ goes, anything they have performed will do, it all sounds the same.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 7 Oct 14 at 18:54
My cat eats out of a Tracey Emin cat bowl. And I love liver sausage!
The tablets are working then!
(And I need to add a sneaking admiration for Miley Cyrus's wrecking ball - even without the video...)
>> Tracey will have used all the Tizer and mouldy liver sausage (with the addition of some bodily fluids probably) in her latest work.

Chap in the comic yesterday or so wrote a piece on Tracey Emin, saying basically that he thought the lady herself pleasant, entertaining and generally good value, but didn't think all that much of her work. That's more or less my own attitude to la Emin.
 Think I'd better have another drink! - John Boy
>> Chap in the comic yesterday or so wrote a piece on Tracey Emin, saying basically that he thought the lady herself pleasant, entertaining and generally good value, but didn't think all that much of her work. That's more or less my own attitude to la Emin.
>>
The critic in yesterday's Guardian had the opposite opinion. I'm somewhere between the two. I went to see the bed at the Turner Prize exhibition, but was less than impressed. The small drawings on the walls were something else though. Superficially, they were like a child's work, but very expressive. They looked simple, but wouldn't be if you had a try at one.
Latest Forum Posts