Non-motoring > Somewhere to go Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 11

Somewhere to go - Zero

www.hornby.com/visitorcentre/

All you wide eyes boys crying for your old toys take note.
 Somewhere to go - Badwolf
Corrrr! I wanna go!

I'd love to have the room to construct a model railway. I've loved them since I was a kid and have many happy memories of setting mine up - I had a 6'x4' piece of ply that was propped up against my bedroom wall then, when it was time to play trains it was lifted onto the old dining room table that served as my 'desk'. I only had an oval of track but I could play trains for hours. I can vividly remember using some kind of rubber (quiet at the back!) to rub the rails to improve conuctivity and, if I concentrate really hard, I can summon up the smell of the electrical contacts and bushes as they got hotter.

Ah, the memories! I'll have to settle for fantasing about a lottery win and planning my ideal layout should the unlikely ever occur!

Thanks for the link, Zero.
 Somewhere to go - Ted

Here's one end of my humble efforts, Baddy. 16 ft long altogether.
An LMS G2 0-8-0 passes through the station while a 2-6-0 ' Mucky Duck ' stands in the bay platform.

Boy's toys ! But good as an escape module from SWMBO.

tinyurl.com/3xfnzju

Ted
Oh wow! I'm in Withington tomorrow - can I come round to play please? I'll bring some jammy dodgers :-)
 Somewhere to go - Ted

Yes, of course, i'll be out for half an hour first thing.....9am is first thing for me.
It's not running very well atm . Mostly to do with remote changing of points off scene.. I haven't spent much time on it recently.

07880 758377....everyone will have my number soon. perhaps I ought to make the garage a C4P meeting house !

You can have Rob's cuppa...he didn't make it........work ? I ask you !

Ted>
>> Yes, of course,

Blimey, I was only kidding! :-)

Very kind of you to say yes though. I've sent you a text.

Cheers
Last edited by: Badwolf on Thu 1 Jul 10 at 10:29
 Somewhere to go - Harleyman
Nice, Ted, brings back happy memories.

Started with a "train set" and moved on to modelling "N" gauge till I was 14. A visit to GCR at Loughborough kindled an interest in preservation, which has remained to this day although I'm no longer active in it.

It got me into trouble at school, once. A rather patronising school teacher asked me one day if I was still doing my "railway stuff", the hint being I should concentrate more on homework and exams. When answered in the affirmative, he asked, "What gauge do you model, then?"

"Twelve inches to the foot, sir".

I got detention for that! >:{

Somewhere to go - Manatee
I never had a train set as a child. I bought my daughter one for her third birthday!

I wonder if that's why she's a mechanical engineer now?
 Somewhere to go - bathtub tom
My daughter's a pub licensee.

I can't think why. ;>)
 Somewhere to go - BiggerBadderDave
What is it about miniaturisation that fascinates men? I can't remember a time when I didn't love models.
 Somewhere to go - Pat
Kate Moss style Dave?

Pat
 Somewhere to go - BiggerBadderDave
I can't think of anyone less attractive than that scrawny, screwed up ironing board.

I used to build Tamiya Radio controlled models, I had the Sand Rover and the Toyota Hilux Pick-up which had three gears, the lowest of which was 4WD. It was £300 back in about '84 so serious money for a 16-year old.

If money and time were no object now I'd have a garden railway although I can't decide which gauge I'd go for. I'd quite like something I could sit on and pull the kids around on.
Latest Forum Posts