Non-motoring > Not a lot of people know that Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 12

Not a lot of people know that - VxFan

Sir Michael Caine was hailed as the “greatest movie actor” Britain has produced as stars gathered to celebrate his career at London’s Albert Hall.

The star of films including Zulu, The Italian Job and Get Carter staged A Night Out With Sir Michael Caine to raise cash for the NSPCC.

www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Sir-Michael-Caine-hailed-Britain-8217-s-8216/story-23027103-detail/story.html
Also tinyurl.com/okwocaw - Daily Wail

He never actually came up with "Not a lot of people know that" but I couldn't think of a better subject header.

metro.co.uk/2011/03/23/michael-caine-i-never-said-not-a-lot-of-people-know-that-646227/

Not a lot of people know that - CGNorwich
Not sure I would rate him "greatest ever". As far as acting is concerned Daniel Day-Lewis is far superior in my book.
 Not a lot of people know that - Manatee
He's OK as long as he is playing Michael Caine.

I'm no expert on his oeuvre, mind. But I liked Get Carter.
 Not a lot of people know that - madf
It was downhill after Zulu...:-)
 Not a lot of people know that - Zero
Sir Michael Caine IS probably the finest actor the UK has ever produced, sure there have been some duff performances, but that is inevitable given his prodigious output. (I have probably seen every film he has been in (even the uncredited - funnily enough saw one of his first bit part performances as a copper in "The Day the Earth Caught Fire"

Anyone who can produce two superb, but such diverse performances - Snotty Officer Gonville Bromhead in "Zulu", (reprised and brought up to date as Lieutenant-Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur in "A Bridge too Far") and hard man Jack Carter in "Get Carter" deserves the accolade of great actor.
 Not a lot of people know that - Cliff Pope
The words "as stars gathered to celebrate" are the key ones here.
So the greatest actor of all time has to be currently living?
Finest actor, no. Finest movie actor? I don't think so. As has been said he mostly plays Michael Caine and had churned out an awful lot of rubbish albeit interspersed with some fine performances but they have been comparatively few and far between.

Not a lot of people know that - Zero
>> Finest actor, no. Finest movie actor?

Finest actor? no. Film actors rarely make good actors on the stage and viccy verrsy. As far as film actors go who is better? (no not Daniel Day Lewis) and who does not play to their best persona (the reason they are cast after all). In Caines case, Bromhead is SO far away from the chirpy cockney geezer and so well played, it has to be one of the most brilliant performances ever. For that alone he gets the accolade by a mile.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Oct 14 at 14:34
 Not a lot of people know that - Crankcase
What criteria do you apply? Well known? Frequent appearances? Believability in the role? Ability to make you emote at some level?

Some of our most famous fine actors - Gielgud for example - were very good at playing the part, but it was always Gielgud, it seems to me.

Others less famous - perhaps Roger Livesay for example - had the ability to make you forget who they were in reality and totally buy into the character.

Who was the "better" actor? It's all just opinion about who you like best for whatever reason.

I like Michael Caine, and enjoy many of his movies a lot (I like Harry Palmer very much), but he's never made me react on a really emotional level, and I can tell you now I cry at some movies at the drop of a hat, for instance.
Michael Caine is a national treasure and much loved. I particularly admire him for his acknowledgment that a lot of his films were trash made for the money. Of course he h as a body of first class work but in acting terms he has nowhere near the range and ability of the less likeable Daniel Day Lewis. Have you seem "My Left Foot" or "There Will be Blood"? Day Lewis becomes the character not just plays him. That is the difference.
 Not a lot of people know that - Crankcase
Does it work for Hoffman, he of the "method acting to extremes" school, CG? Or is it just always Hoffman in a wig?

Not a lot of people know that - BiggerBadderDave
"As far as film actors go who is better?"

Swarzenegger?

Mr T?

Not a lot of people know that - madf
>> Sir Michael Caine IS probably the finest actor the UK has ever produced, sure there
>> have been some duff performances, but that is inevitable given his prodigious output. (I have
>> probably seen every film he has been in (even the uncredited - funnily enough saw
>> one of his first bit part performances as a copper in "The Day the Earth
>> Caught Fire"
>>
>> Anyone who can produce two superb, but such diverse performances - Snotty Officer Gonville Bromhead
>> in "Zulu", (reprised and brought up to date as Lieutenant-Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur in "A Bridge
>> too Far") and hard man Jack Carter in "Get Carter" deserves the accolade of great
>> actor.
>>

Sir Alec Guinness not as good as M Caine?? I know he's dead but he had a far wider range - Kind Hearts and Coronets , Bridge over River Kwai and StarWars... BAFTA, Academy ,Tony and Golden Globe Awards...

Not to mention Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy... (the film remake was pants.)
Last edited by: madf on Thu 2 Oct 14 at 16:10
Latest Forum Posts