Non-motoring > Social Amnesia Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 18

Social Amnesia - Bromptonaut
Do others occasionally get, mid conversation, a sudden feeling that they've blundered into, or at best narrowly missed social quicksand?

Out on Friday night to mark a good friend form former work's last birthday in her forties. Quite a few old colleagues there, some of whom I'd not seen for a bit.

Got chatting to a bloke we'll call John. I first knew him as a very youthful techie - the guy who'd come over when our workstations, then on a mainframe, played up. John's job was contracted 15 or so yrs ago and he's since been TUPE'd from pillar to post but has done reasonably well out of it and now manages quite big projects.

Anyway we got to talking about redundancy and pensions and in particular his wife, who I'll call Susy. Just about to ask what she did when I realised that way lay quicksand.

Susy was previously married to another former colleague. After their split there were rumours of issues with drink and she was eventually dismissed the service for what was siad to be an offence involving a season ticket loan (no season bought). A LOT of gossip at time - dismissal from the CS then was pretty rare. Dawned on me just in time that birthday girl had mentioned the John/Susy thing 'en passant' on a previous night out....

Stopped myself but I doubt that I managed to remain remotely inscrutable and I'm pretty sure he knew why......
 Social Amnesia - Armel Coussine
Stop it Bromptonaut. Some of the things I've said or done make me blush to this day. I don't want to be reminded of them.
 Social Amnesia - smokie
years back I had a good mate Dave. I saw him walking with a female colleague, who was the object of many men's desire but happily married, to the station after work one day. I teased him with some crude comment about their relationship the following day, whereupon he went bright red. Turned out though she was happily married, she also liked a bit on the side... He knew he'd gone red and could do nothing to cover it up. Like I good mate, this is the first time I've ever retold the story.
 Social Amnesia - PhilW
Many years ago went on a short break to Majorca for a bit of sun. While there bumped into a former colleague who had recently got married. Was a bit surprised by the weight the pair had put on but no matter. They suggested that the four of us should go for a meal to their favourite restaurant where they knew the owners and were good friends.
Well, why not, so off we went.
On arrival the owners wife greeted them expansively and said
" "Suzy", great to see you again and congratulations on your wedding" and after giving "Suzy" a big hug continued by saying "even more congratulations, when's it due??.
To which "Suzy" replied "I am NOT pregnant!"
Shame on me, but I couldn't help sniggering.
 Social Amnesia - Fullchat
Yeah I've done the "When's the happy day?" when talking to one of the mothers when collecting the kids from school many years ago.

Several years ago a colleague died in service and as such had a full ceremonial funeral. I had the privilege of leading the pall bearing party.

Afterwards we all descended on our dedicated Sports and Social Club premises for the customary drink/s. A group of us were standing in the circle at the bar where I had pole position. This was in the day when smoking was allowed indoors and the Widow passes me her butt end and asks if I could deposit in an ashtray. "What did your last slave die of," says I?

You know when you just want the ground to open up. However she did see the funny side.
 Social Amnesia - stan10
"Some of the things I've said or done make me blush to this day. I don't want to be reminded of them."

Me too, and some i genuienly regret, hopefully they don't make me a bad person.
 Social Amnesia - Cliff Pope
Can't say I ever have. I never talk about someone's personal affairs until/unless they start the discussion. I'm a good listener - let them talk.
 Social Amnesia - Runfer D'Hills
I once spent a good hour or more absent mindedly calling someone's new wife by their ex-wife's name while being given dinner at their house. It wasn't the best evening I've had.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 1 Oct 14 at 16:37
 Social Amnesia - Mapmaker
>> I once spent a good hour or more absent mindedly calling someone's new wife by
>> their ex-wife's name while being given dinner at their house. It wasn't the best evening
>> I've had.

Almost as good as absent mindedly calling your own 'current' by the name of the 'ex'...
 Social Amnesia - Runfer D'Hills
You didn't !!!!????

Tell us you didn't !
 Social Amnesia - Old Navy
He couldn't have, he is still alive. :)
 Social Amnesia - Harleyman
>> You didn't !!!!????
>>
>> Tell us you didn't !
>>

It may well depend on where it occurred. Second wives may well forgive the occasional lapse so long as it occurs at a moment of absentmindedness, but to do so at the point of coital satisfaction could well be fatal.
 Social Amnesia - Lygonos
>>but to do so at the point of coital satisfaction could well be fatal.

Ahhh... "Rodeo" sex...
 Social Amnesia - Mapmaker
Fortunately I've never been married...
 Social Amnesia - Zero
NO! surely not!
 Social Amnesia - Lygonos
Always reminded me of Cliff Richard.

Or was it Jimmy Savile?
>> Always reminded me of Cliff Richard.

>> Or was it Jimmy Savile?

Who, Lygonos? Is that post in the wrong thread?
 Social Amnesia - Lygonos
Was a (not very funny) jibe at MM's marital status (or lack thereof).

You can have it apply to yourself if it cheers you up? :-)
It couldn't possibly apply to me. Too ugly and bald to pass for Cliff Richard and not charming or clever enough to pass for Jimmy Savile. I realised years ago that I don't have what it takes to be famous and rich.
Latest Forum Posts